shape
carat
color
clarity

Which type of jewelry poses no temptation to you?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be honest right now nothing tempts me, I haven't worn any jewelry in probably 2 months or better only my apply watch...other than that nothing, nada, no wedding ring (whole nother story I dont want to get into) nothing..I just dont care anymore what is the point...hopefully my attitude gets better soon and I get my mojo back...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezels - I find them ugly. I think it's because I'm super girly and bezels with all that metal just does not do it for me

Watches - pretty but I would always prefer a good bangle. Can tell the time on the phone!

Blackened metals - looks grubby

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I learn something new everyday here. Had to look them up and of course they are not at all tempting....Galaxy and portrait diamonds. Horrible. Also , to add to my list, anything simulated, synthetic, enhanced, drilled and filled or manmade. So no lab created diamonds and colored gems. Pink opals from Peru, Welo opals, and tennis bracelets and necklaces.loved Dancing Fire’s flash from the past of uglies. LOL. I am still thinking as I like few things compared to my dislikes. I agree with most of the posts above except for pearls and coral...but even picky as to setting and quality.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silver jewellery. Costume jewellery. Any nose, lip, brow piercing jewellery.

Oh, and any kind of body piercing (belly button and the "other areas") jewellery. I dunno why but they give me the heebie-jeebies.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and any kind of body piercing (belly button and the "other areas") jewellery. I dunno why but they give me the heebie-jeebies.
Ladies, please don't post any pics of your pierced nipples.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I am tempted by so much jewelry but there are some I could never buy no matter how much I want them or how beautiful they look on other people, for practical and aesthetic reasons.

Long dangly earrings, antique and modern, because my ears can’t handle the weight. I love these earrings and I fantasize whole events that I would be at wearing them. Never gonna happen.

Most very elaborate antique pieces. I don’t have the qe ne sais quoi for it.

Statement necklaces. I’m short so they overwhelm me.

Statement bracelets. I’m too clumsy and my wrists are so small that most look very awkward.

Pearls I feel too uncouth and unpolished to wear them.

Most colored stones. I love how they look. I just don’t think they look good on me. But I stare at them a lot and have books on them.

Colored diamonds.

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look of the wide leather dog collar bracelets with lots of hardware but not on me.They overwhelm my wrist. Old fashioned gold jewellery like the old gate bracelet style & gold soverign rings & pendants. I still see so many people wearing tons of the stuff. I think it has had it's time & should die gracefully in a melting furnace. I don't like big watches on ladies.Young girls can get away with it but it looks just out of place on my wrist. Another no-no is ankle chains....ugh

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Most branded jewelry.
2. Pretty much any cut of diamond except round.
3. Cocktail rings or large RHRs.
4. Micropave halos. Love a great cluster though!
5. Dangle earrings look horrible on me. :(
6. Rose gold
7. Huge man-size watches.
8. FCD and most CS rings

I don't dislike any of these but I know they aren't for me.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Given that most of us are bling addicts, which type of jewelry poses no temptation and thus, no threat of spending money for you? An explanation would help us understand why.
I’ll start:
1. Earrings—any type—bc my ears can’t handle them!
2. Pearls. I don’t know how to appreciate them.
3. Watches. I have a Rolex and Michelle diamond deco and rarely wear them— but I know that because I own them—I don’t need more of them.
4. Brand name jewelry. I just know that I won’t pay retail prices for a brand name—so absolutely no temptation.

I'm really on board with you! Except I like pearls, I've just ruined enough delicate pearls as a girl to not to want to put money into something so delicate.

In general, I'm not tempted by anything I can't wear as jewelry or would have to baby. This means no soft stones in bracelets, no opals or pearls or moonstones.

I'm also not tempted by anything that's not natural or "pure" in color. So nothing below G or H for white diamond, and I would want my yellow or pink diamonds to have no brown. No bicolor tourmaline or sapphire tempts me.

Nothing overtly branded because I don't want to feel like a walking breathing ad. This goes the same way with purses. I prefer styles without logos to styles with logos.

In the case for jewelry, I like to be my own jewelry designer, so why spend the money on someone else's design?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a cool thread!!! Pearls. Bracelets. Watches. Necklaces. Small gem rings. Modern diamonds. Most modern halo.

I like big stones. Emeralds, Blue sapphire, FCD, old cuts, clean three stones, antique clusters and antique about everything especially large cluster rings. I go smaller only on FCD. But my look is antique big and mostly clustery. I only like solitaires with a honking old cut center. But that does do it for me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of the wide leather dog collar bracelets with lots of hardware but not on me.They overwhelm my wrist. Old fashioned gold jewellery like the old gate bracelet style & gold soverign rings & pendants. I still see so many people wearing tons of the stuff. I think it has had it's time & should die gracefully in a melting furnace. I don't like big watches on ladies.Young girls can get away with it but it looks just out of place on my wrist. Another no-no is ankle chains....ugh

I still love this thread
Everyone is so different

I kinda like ankle chains but i think i look redicoulss in them
Same with toe rings
I tried and they were so uncomfortable

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to add anything with a lab made stone. I'm just not into lab stones. As a geology buff I'm into real rocks (I collected and polished rocks as a kid). Also, rose cuts and window pane cuts(?). Not sure of the official name but basically it looks like clear glass.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is indeed a great thread!

I'm not even slightly tempted by any Van Cleef & Arpels stuff, particularly the Alhambra collection. It just doesn't look overly special to me considering the insane prices.

I treat both brand-name jewelry and generic jewelry the same: I consider items on a case-by-case basis. Some brand-name jewelry is beautifully made with wonderful finishing that you don't see so much on generic jewelry. Most of my jewelry is generic, but I also have Cartier, Tiffany, Kiki McDonough and De Beers pieces that I love.

I'm not at all tempted by black diamonds or anything on a leather cord, and I really don't like the Pandora charm collection (although I do have a Pandora necklace that I love, because it really looks like a Chopard pendant, and someone even asked me if it was Chopard once!)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything Tiffany, long necklaces, Pandora bracelets and Rolex watches.... meh :snooty:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Watches. I have never worn one and can't see that changing.

Bracelets. I have 2 that are my daily drivers and are sentimental, one is a wide cuff so no more room. At this point they are like part of my wrists. I'd say necklaces too but I still look.

Heavy earrings, my ears only recently started tolerating earrings and they have to be gold or platinum posts. I am strictly studs or very light dangles.

Hoops or curved earrings, not flattering.

Anything minimalist or small. I have larger proportions and tiny things get swallowed up. Or look ridiculous. The exception is bands. I will rock skinny bands all day, but I always stack.

Like has been mentioned turquoise, corals, onyx, cabs, most colored diamonds, poor cuts (once you know you can never go back). I also shy away from princess cut diamonds but like squares and rectangles in colored stones. Oh and despite owning one that I wear everyday I don't care for Opals. Mine was a gift and I never take it off (save hot tubs) but I wouldn't buy another one.

I'm rather into old cuts and older styles which tend to be OOAK.
Anything mass produced, which included branded items. I have always had an aversion to even wearing shirts with logos so on my jewelry would set me over the edge. I never got on board with the silver Tiffany charm bracelets everyone had in college.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
colored stones, except for blue sapphires.
dangly earrings, but I do like hoops if not too big
anything pink

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of Tiffany, although I do like a few pieces of the new Hardware line.
I don't love step cuts like I assumed I would. Glad I tried that out with a moissy.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm......I am not tempted by

1) Verragio - I know they have a big following but they just aren’t for me. I don’t love anything where every part of the ring is covered with diamonds. I prefer simpler settings.
2) Silver - I hate cleaning it.
3) Rings where the stone is set unnecessarily super high - I just envision the head snapping off.
4) Illusion settings
5) Dainty 16 inch necklaces - I wish I had the right neck for them but they look terrible on me.
6) Anything heart shaped - just never been a hearts kind of girl
7) Portrait cut diamonds - I do like the way rose cuts look in certain settings but just can’t make the leap to the portrait cut
8) Big hoops - they look ridiculous on me
9) Costume jewelry - I am sure there are some great stylish pieces out there but I always picture the over the top stuff from the 80s.
10) Large watches just don’t look good on me nor can I stand the weight on my wrist. Kudos to the girls who can rock them.

Really I wish I had more on the list because there are too many things that do tempt me.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to add one more item. "Designer" rings that are a mix of mostly sterling silver with a small amount of gold that are very expensive IMHO. When I see the prices I usually chuckle and think "You must be kidding." I know some people like the design elements of these pieces and buy them for that reason. But I honestly cannot buy a ring for 1 or 2k that will scrap for $30. I. Just. Can't. Do. It.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
1. Watches
2. Tennis bracelets
3. Solitaire diamond pendants
4. Bands or stacking rings
5. Layering necklaces
6. Modern round cut diamonds, even super ideal
7. Princess, heart, and radiant cuts
8. Diamond studs
9. Traditional pearl strands and traditional pearl bracelets
10. Brown and orange colored stones.
11. "Dainty" or delicate style necklaces, bracelets etc. The whisper thin very delicate pieces that have been popular a bit.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm relieved to say there's a bunch of jewelry I *don't* love - because there's so much I DOOOOO!

Things I'll never want:

Large diamond studs. Just. Not. A. Fan. I don't even know why - it just doesn't seem to have any sort of design interest for me. And by the time they're big enough to fill one's lobe, they're so deep they're hanging off, or protruding like a massive jewelry erection. I mean - seriously - we joke about men and sports cars, but...gees... Just to clarify, tho - this applies only to me. When I see studs on other women - they can look amazingly beautiful. But those women tend to have lobes a quarter the size of mine. I also prefer OEC studs - they just seem to look better on the lobe. But again - that's me.

Heavily included diamonds being passed off as 'Galaxy diamonds'. Oh dear.

Charm bracelets that dangle. Sends me mental now. Ever since I set mine end to end, I'm *never* going back to danging charms.

There is one jewelry brand (which will remain nameless) that I have NEVER liked. Very expensive. Very upmarket. Very iconic. I've never liked their signature shape and have always found it kind of blobby and simplistic looking. Lots of people love it - and that's great. But just not for me.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So any coloured stones except for maybe a nice sapphire....
-cabochons
-rose gold
-costume jewelry
-any diamond shape with the exception of round, old European cut and maybe a cushion
-salt & pepper diamonds
-rose cut diamonds
-that really expensive brand that uses lapis, malachite etc...:razz: sorry people who like it..
-name jewelry
-ankle bracelets, toe rings
-double, triple halos
-hardware jewelry (sorry again)
-chevron pinky rings, my MIL had one
-mother rings
-not even liking my sterling silver jewelry lately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results