clarity

Which Tiffany diamond

Clugc

Rough_Rock
Guys which should I go for ?
tiffany round brilliant diamond
1.22 triple excellent D VS1 medium blue fluorescence
Or
1.39 E Vs2 excellent cut and polish very good symmetry no fluorescence ??

BOTH BY TIFFANY AND CO C7F4DFCF-332C-4C80-9D0A-A7689B59BE62.png CF57CE47-8741-4A01-BC76-7BEDD3AFBA82.jpeg

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I’m sure they both will be beautiful. Is there a cost difference and what setting and metal will you be going with? I lean toward the larger one if there’s not much of a cost difference.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know how to translate pav % into pav angle? I dont know how to convert one into the other.

Clugc

Rough_Rock
Both the same sort of price .. I love the idea of the d but I’m not in love with fluorescence so I’m leaning towards the larger e colour. I tried to enter into HCA but couldn’t translate the pavilion percentage either. Do you think the triple excellent in the d is exceptionally better than the e with only very good symmetry?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't reviewed the numbers, but I would tend to think XXX would be a better cut. On the flip side, you probably don't want medium blue florescence in a D color stone. Usually florescence helps brighten lower colored stones, and can make higher color diamonds look cloudy or hazy.

Would you be open to a non-Tiffany diamond? They are significantly less expensive (maybe even half the price?), so you could get the best cut, color, clarity, with no florescence in a bigger carat with a similar setting. If you're open to that, I'd recommend checking out WhiteFlash's ACA diamonds.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am not good with modern rounds, but I would not pay a premium for d color with medium blue flour.

Clugc

Rough_Rock
I haven't reviewed the numbers, but I would tend to think XXX would be a better cut. On the flip side, you probably don't want medium blue florescence in a D color stone. Usually florescence helps brighten lower colored stones, and can make higher color diamonds look cloudy or hazy.

Would you be open to a non-Tiffany diamond? They are significantly less expensive (maybe even half the price?), so you could get the best cut, color, clarity, with no florescence in a bigger carat with a similar setting. If you're open to that, I'd recommend checking out WhiteFlash's ACA diamonds.

Ok where do I find them?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just read that 43% is a PA of 40.8.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy from Tiffanys. In general the stones are very overpriced for quality and the price is based almost entirely on them being "tiffany" rather than them being "top of the line" cuts.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
If you want the experience of Tiffany’s there’s nothing wrong if that at all— but if you want a potentially even better diamond at a much better cost there a some really good options. I love Whiteflash and they have settings that look very similar to the classics Tiffany ring. If you are willing to post your budget and desires for size, color etc, people here are so helpful with suggestions!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Yes, if it were me, I'd purchase from one of the super ideal vendors we discuss here. Not only will you most likely get a better cut diamond (with means more sparkle) you will be able to get a larger one because you will save a lot of money.

When I was purchasing my diamond last summer from HPD (one of the super idea vendors), I looked online at Tiffanys just to see how much I was saving. Tiffany's had a diamond of the same weight, clarity and color as mine. Literally, I saved $50,000 by not purchasing Tiffany's diamond. AND I got a better cut diamond (more sparkle.)

Any of these vendors can help you:
High Performance Diamonds @Wink
Whiteflash
Brian Gavin
Victor Canera

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Also, most of these super ideal vendors mentioned above have much much much better trade-in and buy back policies than Tiffany's. Even if you don't think you'll use the policy, you never ever know where life will take you and its really good to have the option in the future if you need it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Clugc Why have you chosen Tiffany? Do you want to buy a ring from Tiffany? Does your intended dream of a ring from Tiffany?

Some people want a branded engagement ring. Some don’t. What are your priorities?

Clugc

Rough_Rock
@Clugc Why have you chosen Tiffany? Do you want to buy a ring from Tiffany? Does your intended dream of a ring from Tiffany?

Some people want a branded engagement ring. Some don’t. What are your priorities?

Yeah I think I really want a Tiffany diamond I’m aware That you can buy better/ bigger elsewhere which I may do in the future but this is beautiful

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Which setting are you considering? Is this for the Tiffany solitaire? If so, I love that one too! Are you able to see both diamonds in person? If not, I would most likely go for the bigger one. I am sure both diamonds are beautiful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I think I really want a Tiffany diamond I’m aware That you can buy better/ bigger elsewhere which I may do in the future but this is beautiful

In this case without photos of these stones I would choose the larger E stone. It will be visibly larger than the other IRL, and I personally don’t care for fluorescence in a D. Tiffany’s colour and clarity grading is considered reputable - they aren’t known to inflate their grades. They don’t give as much proportions info as other labs, which makes dissecting cut type challenging.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you want tiffany then I would go with the larger E

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
What about looking at other Tiffany's options? I'd recommend going with a XXX at a minimum. I think these stones may seem like a better "value" vs. others due to trade-offs - very good symmetry and medium florescence. Everyone's priorities are different, but most PSers prioritize cut at the top of their list. I would consider F stones to open up your options a bit, maybe even G or H to get the XXX. Also, carat size increases less than 0.25ct are barely noticeable. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d go for the E. A very Good grade for Polish is ok.
I know you are looking for a Tiffany. I’m going to link some stones for Whiteflash for comparison sake. I haven’t looked on HPD. Either company is awesome.

With this setting. Many PS have this ring so plenty of pics avail.

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I have read through your comments and you didn't actually say you want Tiffany, you said "it's so beautiful" so thats emotional and because it's in hand. Tiffany diamonds don’t sparkle more than any other diamonds. A diamond is a diamond. A Tiffany diamond is the exact same diamond as a Costco diamond (if they have the same stats) and will sparkle the same.

So if you get 2 diamonds with the same stats they’re exactly the same no matter where you purchased it. Well cut diamonds sparkle more. You can get a better diamond with a better upgrade policy for less money (or a bigger size) that will sparkle better for less money.

I am a brand snob, I love brand names, I have many icon pieces because you know they're a brand. A branded diamond looks exactly the same because it IS exactly the same an no one will know its branded unless you tell them, and thats just bragging then. I buy icon branded pieces because you can tell it's a brand, when other's see it they know it's a brand, and I dont have to say a word, so it's worth the extra money to me then.

My exhusband bought me a 1 carat branded diamond in my first marriage after he told me the budget and I specifically said "I would rather have a bigger diamond than a branded diamond and don't waste money buying D color because E color looks the same to my eye as D" I could have had double the size. I was disappointed every time I looked at it, because the same money could have gotten me a diamond that was more what I wanted.

Anyway, I dont know you, but I didnt read anywhere that your intended loves Tiffany and has been dreaming of Tiffany, and as a child went to the Tiffany store every year and always dreamed of Tiffany, you just said "It looks beautiful" and I promise you that any diamond with the stats similar to the Tiffany will be exactly the same beautiful, but either bigger or less money.

My suggestion, let the amazing people here get you a 1.5 carat that sparkles better from one of the non-branded places and use the diamond savings to also get her a Cartier love bracelet....

Signed:
A brand snob

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d take the 1.39

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go for the 1.39!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you decide??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds of very different color, clarity, and cut specs vary greatly in fair value, but can look similar to you or I.
That's why I'd never buy a diamond graded by the jeweler selling it.
Conflict of interest.

This is why reputable gem labs are independent.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what their current practice is, but Tiffany used to supply a GIA lab report for their diamonds over 1 carat, in addition to their own "certificate." So I'd ask your sales assistant if s/he can pull GIA reports for those 2 stones. I think it's unlikely that the sales rep will agree to send you a photocopy of the GIA report (if they've got 'em), but you can ask for the angle specs & other details. that are on the GIA reports.

Also, those two diamonds are not the only ones of their color, clarity, and size ranges in Tiffany North America's inventory. Don't hesitate to ask your rep to go through their database to see what other similar, but highest caliber cut, diamonds are there.

Another possibility which you two might decide is the best of both worlds:
Purchase the e-ring elsewhere, but then head to Tiffany for the wedding band(s) -- and the private champagne toast your sales rep should be able to give you two (with advance notice, natch). Tiffany has more of a selection of wedding bands than you two might be expecting to see there; the quality is excellent; and the "Tiffany tariff" is less steep on wedding bands. :))

CoolKat

Rough_Rock
Did you go see the diamonds at the Tiffany's store in person?

That'd help to decide to see which you like better. Also ask your SA if you can see the diamond in different lightings & indoor/outdoor. Their lights in the store are usually blinding & makes everything bling like nobody business.

If you have the time & patience - then searching with the advises from the lovely people in this forum is exciting & an adventure/journey in itself!
:appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results