shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Stone Shape Is Best For Short Pudgy Fingers?

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
I have a size 7, short, pudgy looking ring finger. I would like to upgrade my ering in the next few months. I currently wear both a round and a princess cut solitaire with my 6mm wide platinum wedding band. I really like both princess cut and cushion stones, but I am not sure if they look best with fingers that are not long and slim. I would like to have a solitaire that is between 2-3 cts with a side stone on each side of the center diamond. Which diamond shape would look best with my fingers?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, With a 2 to 3 carat diamond, who is going to be seeing your finger anyway! I have flattish fingers (size 8) and wear a long Art Deco emerald cut diamond with two smaller emerald cuts alongside. You could try a round or princess cut with two teardrop shape sides, that's a lovely look in my opinion or try a marquis cut (a 2 to 3 carat would be big) and two smaller rounds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's the stone shape as much as the ring as a whole.

If you are talking just a solitiare... what budget range are you looking?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a fellow member of the short, stubby finger club, here are the conclusions I've reached for myself. Thicker bands make my fingers look shorter and fatter than thinner bands. Really thin, thin bands like the 1.5- 2 mm don't work either. A band that is about 3 - 4 mm is my sweet spot but more on the 3 to 2.5 if I'm going to wear multiple bands like a wedding ring and engagement ring together. I don't have enough space between my hand and my knuckle for elongated cuts like emerald, pear, marquise or a cushion that is longer than it is wide, particularly when those cuts go up in carat weight to 2-3 carats or more. Although others would differ for their own hands, I think square cuts also make my fingers look shorter and thicker.

The only cut I think looks good on my hand is a round or a square-shaepd cushion with very rounded corners. I can't speak to side stones because I've never had them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does depend on your finger real estate and the overall appearance of the ring with setting.

Generally on wider fingers I like (a bit fatter in shape not too thin so not too much skin on either side) marquise, oval, pear and elongated cushions. However for shorter fingers you have to make sure it doesn't come right up to or extend over the knuckle.

My suggestion is go to as many jewelry stores (but don't buy anything in the jewelry stores OK we can help you once you determine the shape and size and budget) as possible to try on all different shapes/sizes to see what size and shape looks best on your specific finger and hand.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
As another member of the short and "not skinny" ;-) finger club- I think ovals are the most flattering on my finger.But with that said- I actually wear a cushion. Overall ring style, as previously mentioned, will make a huge difference.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion curvy shapes look better than shapes with sharp edges. When my fingers are puffy I hate emerald cuts on them.

Round, fat pear, or sideways marquise would be the first things i try on.

But as Gypsy set the setting will make all the difference. Probably a wider band will be best. I think sholdt semi bezels look great on larger hands.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an oval would be lovely or a long pillowy shaped cushion. 6mm band is way to wide for short fingers. You need to stick
with the usual 2-3 mm band. I think side stones just make your finger look wider because it draws your eyes across your finger
instead of down the length...that being said, get what you love!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the other posters about the wide wedding band (6 mm)--that's taking up a lot of real estate on a short finger!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oval, marquise and pear are usually considered good shapes for shorter fingers and many will tell you that thinner bands work better than thicker bands, but as you can see people with experience have offered the exceptions noted above. For a 2-3 ct ring with side stones, there's a chance the center diamond may graze the knuckle.

You may find a lot of value in shopping and trying out different looks to see what you'd like. Whoever you choose for you vendor for your purchase make sure and check refund/return/warranty policies so you end up with something you are completely in love with.

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
I have actually been considering getting a thinner wedding band as well. I just wanted to find a new ering first to see how it looks and if it is really necessary to get a different band. I love princess cuts and would like to keep the ring within the $2,000 price range. Perhaps it would be better to go with a 1 ct solitaire instead.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results