shape
carat
color
clarity

Which stone is better??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Searching

Rough_Rock
I found three stones that I like, but can't decide on which one. Please advise.Stone #1:
1.63 VS2/E $16,100 (not H&A)
Depth = 60.4
Table =54.6
Crown Angle =34.4
Pav Angle =40.4
Cutlet =.1Stone #2:
1.6 SI1/F $14,620 (H&A)
Depth =61
Table =56.6
Crown Angle =34.4
Pav Angle = 40.8
Cutlet = .2Stone #3:
1.77 VS2/F $18,200 (H&A)
Depth = 59.6
Table =56.8
Crown Angle=33.8
Pav Angle =40.6
Cutlet =.1Thanks in advance for your help!!

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
First, price and the traditional color and clarity. In brackets is the price from the price statistics page for cut quality 1A. After each price is the ratio compared to the cheapest price per carat (number 2).1) E VS2 for $ 9877/carat 1.08 ($9230 1.19)
2) F SI1 for $ 9138/carat 1.00 ($7776 1.00)
3) F VS2 for $10283/carat 1.13 ($8979 1.16)Assuming (big assumption!) that H&A price trends match non-H&A, 3 seems to have about the right premium for the quality change and 1 some lower premium to counter the fact that it isn't H&A while the other two are. Nothing wonderfully revealing here.Looking for comparables in the search by visual appearance on this site for 3 I see a 1.798 F VS2 AGS0 H&A A Cut Above brand for $10025/carat ($18025) and a cut advisor score of 1.1 ex-ex-ex-vg based on crown angle and less reliable pavilion percentage. Also a 1.708 F VS2 AGS 0 H&A A Cut Above brand for $9930/carat ($1690) and cut advisor score of 1.1 ex-ex-ex-ex , again on the crown angle and less reliable pavilion percentage combination.With the reliable crown angle and pavilion angle data you have, 2 scores 1.1 ex-ex-vg-vg and 3 scores 0.5 ex-ex-ex-ex. 1 scores 0.4 ex-ex-ex-vg.So, where does that leave you? 3 has better spread than 2 and should look a bit bigger than just the size difference would imply and appears to have a reasonable price premium for the better clarity.How does whatever makes 2 an SI1 look? Can you see it? If you can't, 2 looks to be offering the best price/ size/ quality combination of the two, assuming you've no objection to SI1 just because it isn't a VS grade. If you or the intended recipient might think even a bit negatively about that, go for 3 over 3. The better spread and clarity of 3 seems to have a reasonable price premium... but that _is_ an extra $4,500 and that buys a fair bit of honeymoon or special occasion to give it on. The better spread rating seems to make your 3 a better choice than the A Cut Above 1.798 unless you like the idea of a brand. If you do, that ACA looks like a fair choice, though the cut advisor score suggests that you should be asking for a bit of a discount unless using the angle improces the score - and it's more likely to make it worse. Didn't find any comparables from other brands in the quick search I did but they probably have options as well. All in all, 3 seems to be a good quality choice for color, clarity and cut. A nice high end option.1 compares well on cut to 2 from the HCA scores so it looks good from that view, but the E color means ou're paying for color you may not value - and probably won't notice. Better cut score but more money for color you won't notice and no possible romance value from the H&A I'd suggest 2 rather than 1 and something else to spend the price difference on. Look at that 1.708 A Cut Above. Seems like a bettter compromise package than 1 - a bit more money, branded H&A but less good cut score, except we know ACA are well cut and a non-HA& of unknown brand is a bit riskier on whether it does match the predicted performance.So, 3 for quality, 2 for price... and I'll suggest 2 and spending the price difference on something else, like a nicer wedding band or a steam or ultrasonic cleaner for home to keep the jewels sparkling nicely.If you want to pick one with least chance of anything unexpected, go for 3. The predicted cut, the color and the clarity make a nice set. For even more certaintly, go for th ACA and trust ther quality control, which seems to be good. Or any other brand.Each of them looks to be a good choice, though seeing 1 and 2 before being fully sure of buying them seems like a good idea. 2 in case the SI1 is a problem, which seems unlikely, and 1 in case the facet angles don't produce performance as good as the averages suggest they will.If you really get stuck, use coin tosses. There are good arguments for choosing any of the three.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jaes has given you a $100 free consultation
smile.gif
and good advice. Are they all certified, and by who? If thaat stcks up I dont believe you can go wrong, but still use an appraiser.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, Jamesd, that is more than a $100 answer. It is comprehensive.. It highlights the complexity involved and also the basic need for outside expertise to do the job properly. I don't think most consumers can fathom the entire range of issues. Not because I am super intelligent and they aren't, but because it is just a very large task that takes time and experience to gather into a package for proper consideration in the overall.Essentially, a consumer must be interviewed to know what their needs are and what their priorities are. Some people will buy based on price/value. Some people want the best they can afford and will pay a bit more for the "right" stone for their needs. Some won't. Some people want a certain cut, some want certain clarity types, some prefer certain colors and fluorescence comments. It ends up being different for nearly each client.That's why we keep busy.. Glad to assist anyone that needs these services, or to answer questions on the forum, too. I just can't give a more complete answer that the large one above.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words.

Searching

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your quick replies, especially Jamesd!!All 3 are GIA certified, but I have not seen them myself. Jeweler promised that SI1 is 100% eye clean, and offered to send my top two selections for side by side comparision. I'll check out the other AHA first before I make my finally decision.Thanks again!

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Searching, have you seen all 3 side by side and in different lighting conditions? If your not sure contact rockdoc, he's the expert along with dave atlas. They're both appraisers in different parts of the country. Give them an e-mail. If your going to spend that amount of money you owe it to yourself to get it checked and verified.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results