shape
carat
color
clarity

which stone do you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nbrock

Rough_Rock
1.14ct, F colour, VVS2 clarity. GIA EX/EX + sarin that makes it look like it would pass AGS000, no flourescence for $8060

or...

1.16ct F colour, VS1 clarity. AGS000, medium blue flourescence for $7880

help!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Those two are in a dead heat.

I'd probably pick the one that has the lowest HCA score.

If those are in a dead heat, I'd probably pick the one with the largest diameter.

nbrock

Rough_Rock
ok ... stone #1 has 2.5 on HCA and stone #2 has 0.8 on HCA.

what the heck does that mean?

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Love flourescence - go with that one. Of course, in F color it probably doesn't make as much difference as in H-I color.

nbrock

Rough_Rock
interesting ... my understanding that flourescence could be good in I-ish colour stones, but was bad for colourless stones. what exactly is the effect of the flourescence under (a) bright light (b) normal light (c) low light? and will it really glow in the dark under UV light?
1.gif

davidsle

Rough_Rock
I searched HCA...sorry for the posting. How do you erase a posting? I know how to edit but I can't completely erase a posting.

Thanks Arlington

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2003 6:19
6.gif
5 PM davidsle wrote:

How do you calculate an HCA score? Is a particular software program needed? Is it something accessible via the internet?
----------------

Just click on the "Cut Advisor" link at the top of this page. Or:
www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
ok ... stone #1 has 2.5 on HCA and stone #2 has 0.8
on HCA
----------

That means take stone #2.

nbrock

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2003 7
6.gif
0:19 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

-----------
ok ... stone #1 has 2.5 on HCA and stone #2 has 0.8
on HCA
----------

That means take stone #2.

----------------

touche. but seriously, what does the HCA score really tell you? and what's the scale. how much better is 0.8 than 2.5?

One Diamond

Rough_Rock
nbrock,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy these stones? That's in the exact range and quality that I've been looking at. Thanks

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/26/2003 7:24:10 PM nbrock wrote:
seriously, what does the HCA score really tell you? and what's the scale. how much better is 0.8 than 2.5?
----------------
Go to this link....will answer all your questions about the HCA.

https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_ideal.asp

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely second stone with lower score on HCA. It's a huge difference too. It's not as if one was 1.5 and the other was 1.2...sometimes stones over 2.0 are not going to be as beautiful as lower scored stones. Not always..and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the bottom line means that the proportions on stone #2 are better for the HCA to give it that better score. Why settle for proportions that may be a little off when you have one that is spot on? Plus VVS to VS in my opinion just makes more sense $$ wise since you can't see inclusions in either clarity grade anyway.

Stone #2 all the way. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results