shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Stone? Carat vs measurement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rogre

Rough_Rock
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Well, I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've read the FAQ above and I'm still a little stumped. I'm trying to choose between two loose diamonds I found on Blue Nile for an engagement ring. They are both cushion cut (she's more into the antique look) and I'm looking for something close to square. I need your guy's professional opinion.

Option 1: $4,423
Carat weight: 0.92
Cut: Very Good
Color: D
Clarity: VVS1
Depth %: 67.5%
Table %: 59%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium to very thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.51 x 5.36 x 3.62 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.03

Option 2: $4,350
Carat weight: 0.83
Color: E
Depth %: 67.4%
Table %: 62%
Polish: Excellent
Measurements: 5.70 x 5.56 x 3.75 mm

I really like option 1, but the one major hang-up I have is the measurement. It seems like this is smaller and maybe bottom-heavy (am I right?). Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

rcrosier

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 6:40:21 PM
Author:rogre
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Well, I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've read the FAQ above and I'm still a little stumped. I'm trying to choose between two loose diamonds I found on Blue Nile for an engagement ring. They are both cushion cut (she's more into the antique look) and I'm looking for something close to square. I need your guy's professional opinion.

Option 1: $4,423
Carat weight: 0.92
Color: D
Depth %: 67.5%
Table %: 59%
Polish: Very good
Measurements: 5.51 x 5.36 x 3.62 mm

Option 2: $4,350
Carat weight: 0.83
Color: E
Depth %: 67.4%
Table %: 62%
Polish: Excellent
Measurements: 5.70 x 5.56 x 3.75 mm

I really like option 1, but the one major hang-up I have is the measurement. It seems like this is smaller and maybe bottom-heavy (am I right?). Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Really going after that color & clarity... I don't know a lot about cushions, but the spread is obviously better on the second option. However, w/ respect to option one being "bottom-heavy" or deep is all just one way of looking at it. It could be a better cut, meaning that option two is shallow. I'm not sure, like I said, but I'm sure someone more qualified to talk cushions will chime in on this. Also, there are a few recent threads regarding this topic (depth, table measurements) that will head you in the right direction.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
I am afraid that just looking at the numbers/proportions will not help you decide.Here is a recent thread where the topic of numbers was discussed https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cut-depth.90682/

If it was not Bluenile where you can order based on your own judgement, I would say to see the diamonds and decide which you like better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results