shape
carat
color
clarity

Which sapphires for Grammy''s earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The time has come to spring for a pair of sapphires for earrings for my grandmother. I posted a while ago about how she told me she loves them and they are her birthstone, but she''s never had one.

So, I''m having a pair of studs made for her.

I''m on a super tight budget (wedding expenses!) so I''m going to do the best I can with the money I have. So, here are a few options. Going SOLELY by the look of the stones, which of the following pairs would you pick? Here''s Pair 1:

P1 sapphs.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None because photography cannot capture the true colour and essence of blue sapphires unless the vendor supplies lots of pics and different views of the stone.

I'd also stick with someone local to cut on the shpping cost if I need to return the stones should they not turn out as expected. Try Gary at www.diamondexpert.com.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the last, P4.

These are all between eye clean and loupe clean, and all are heated (Grammy couldn''t care less about stuff like that).

P4 Sapphs.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
They''re all a bit dark for my taste but if I had to choose from those 4 I''d pick the first pair.

If you''re on an exceptionally tight budget, you might want to check into Montana sapphires as they tend to be a fair bit cheaper. Coast to Coast Rare Stones has a pretty good selection of Montana Sapphire pairs, although their pictures are teeny so you''d probably have to ask for better info.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Purely between those 4: I''d choose #1 as the best balance of factors. #2 is too dark, esp for earrings, #3 seems cloudy, and #4 too light.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
If you're outside Southeast Asia, and if you had to return them, because you didn't like them, it takes forever to return back to Thailand, and it's very expensive and also time consuming to get a refund. I believe you got those from ajsgems website. They're based in Thailand.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I took your advice and ordered Pair 1. They arrived and are nice and sparkly! Yes, a titch "on the dark side" but I don't think Grammy would mind that. They are currently being set as studs in time for my trip to my hometown next week (where Grammy lives).

I'll try to take ear shots when I get them back. They're pretty small but the budget had to be TIGHT and I think on this one it really is the thought that counts most. All four of my grandmother's grandkids are chipping in (though I'll pay the bulk of it since I'm the only one with "disposable" income), and these will be a present for her 87th birthday at the beginning of September.

It's her birthstone and she's never had a sapphire before. I hope she's excited!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re doing a wonderful thing. I''m sure she''ll love them.

Could you take photos of them set? Who is setting them? Please tell use how you like the vendor.

Thanks

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I'm having New York Jewelers on Wabash in Chicago set them.

Honestly? I would probably never make a serious purchase from them as I find they use VERY high pressure tactics. While I was there this time, they tried to convince me to make a deal with them (involving a trade) which crossed the line from unfair over to ludicrous. Thank heavens for my Pricescope education! I just laughed and left.

They also mark prices about 60% higher than "the real price". So when I say "what's the best price you could give me for X?" it suddenly drops DRAMATICALLY. That makes me sad for people who don't think to ask.

However, when it comes to setting gems, they have by far the best prices I've found for materials and labour (and I shopped around a LOT!), and do things overnight if you ask. Plus, they have a huge selection of settings for things.

They have set a gemstone for me in the past and everything was just great. I'll let you know when I pick up the studs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results