shape
carat
color
clarity

Which rock do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meeeee

Rough_Rock
I've decided to take the plung, but now i need to buy a rock. My goal is to get as big a diamond as I can for my $8.5K budget. Of course, I want the diamond to look great to the eye. But, I don't care about under magnification, as she (and perhaps more importantly, her friends) won't be looking at it in a microscope.
2.gif
I'm looking at a round brilliant diamond and setting it in a 'Tiffany' 6 Prong setting.

So, I'm struggling between the following GIA certified diamonds as they are about the same price:

1) 1.5 carot, Very Good to Ideal Cut, H Color, SI2
2) 1.5 carot, Very Good to Ideal Cut, I Color, SI1

Any recommendations? Is it true that some people can see flaws with the naked eye in an SI2? Is an 'I' going to look yellow on her hand?

Help. Please! (and thanks)

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Size is important but the cut will make the ring beautiful, more so than clarity or color (plus, you've chosen very close ranges to begin with) and we don't have any cut information here.

There's not enough to judge or give you meaningful advice.
1.gif

Edited: Assuming both are cut very well, I'd vote for the H, SI2 becasue I believe the human eye can see/appreciate color before clarity. However, both H & I will face up very white in a well cut stone (this is a RB???). Make sure the SI2 is eyeclean, nevermind "under a microscope."

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
There are some around here that can see inclusions in VS diamonds. It all depends on a person's eyesight! With the right SI2 you can get something that is eyeclean, though.

My opinion on H & I would be it is unlikely you would see a difference between the two, but you might want to go out to a jeweler and just see how they look to your eyes as far as color. My g/f has diamonds that are G, H, & I. You can see the difference from the side, but from the top they all look fantastically white because of the ideal cut.

meeeee

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I edited my post to add that they are both Very Good or Ideal Cut Round Diamonds (which I'll set in a 6 prong Tiffany setting). I appreciate the help!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You need to look at both diamonds, ideally in several different lighting conditions, and see for yourself. While there are many helpful, educated people here who can give good opinions on Si1/2 and H/I preferences, as Wonka indicates, only your preferences can make this choice. If they are both well-cut sparklers, you'll need to ascertain:

1. That they are both eyeclean (you seem to be at peace with the "mind cleanness" of them, e.g., knowing they may have inclusions at 10X but not caring because you know no one can see them); and
2. Your color perception. A difference in color between an accurately graded H and I in well-cut stones is minimum.

Once your eye tells you what you need to know, have the stone indepenently appraised as well.

Good luck.
1.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
from your choices, I'd go with the I SI1.

I'd prefer to see them both in person and pick the one that 'spoke to me' If you can't see them in person, ask the vendor to supply idealscope images.

A well cut I or even J will not look yellow!

SI2 may or may not be eye clean. Look at the cert plot and ask the vendor to describe what they see.

I'd pick this 1.65c AGS0 H&A beauty $8341*S

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results