• vintage cluster

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • emilya halo

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Acl

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've finally found the blue sapphire I've been searching for for my partner's engagement ring. It's a 4.5ct unheated 9.5mm round. Here are some pics of the stone:
unnamed-2.jpg unnamed.jpg

I'm going to have Victor Canera make the ring, and am torn between two settings. I'm hoping perhaps some women can weigh in here to help tip the scales of this decision:

Option 1: The Emilya halo. Clean, simple, but stunning. I see the pros of this ring being that it doesn't have a "style" that it screams, so it perhaps goes better with everything? Also it's perhaps a bit more of a blank slate for her to design a matching wedding band. The con if any, is that I've seen this style setting many times, many of our friends' rings are similar (although not with a blue sapphire, and not likely with Victor's personal touch and craftsmanship).
Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 12.09.42 PM.png
video:

Option 2: Vintage Cluster Halo. This one is definitely more unique. Victor unequivocally recommended this setting for this stone. I do feel the antique style really suits the sapphire, and the craftsmanship is remarkable on this ring. I don't necessarily know whether vintage jewelry is her style or not, she doesn't currently own any except for occasionally wearing pearls when dressing up, but I do know unique pieces are her style. The only con I could see is that it is such a unique style, perhaps it makes too strong or specific a statement for everyday wear?
Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 12.10.00 PM.png
video:
(I think the video on this one really shows it off better than the photo).

A little background: The only hints my partner has ever dropped about a ring style, is that she doesn't want a diamond, mostly because she doesn't want a "cookie cutter ring", she wants something "unique" and "unusual". Thats why I went with a sapphire, which perhaps is unique enough on it's own without pairing it with a unique setting? I've been given some general advice from a few women who said, "when in doubt, go with the most timeless and classic design, which is what most women would likely choose for themselves." I can say without a doubt that there is no wrong choice. I've done some feeling out of my partner, and I know that she would prefer to be surprised, and she's made it clear that she would love any ring I gave her because I picked it out with her in mind. So there's no risk of picking the "wrong" ring here, but I want to get her the most "right" one.

So, which of these does the best job at knocking your socks off? :D

Marsha Ayers

Rough_Rock
I don't post much, I'm an active lurker but I'm going to jump in on this, as a woman, who recently had to design her whole ring because i had too many opinions about what I wanted. I can have opinions for you and your future fiance too! :lol:

The knocking off of one's socks is so very subjective. You are starting with a fantastic sapphire so, she should be stoked. My socks are currently laying on the floor, just looking at the stone.

Let me just say that I think either of your posted choices are good. I'll throw out my thoughts, as you don't seem convinced that either of those choices are exactly right. I like the second ring because it's different but if your FF (future fiance) isn't all about the antique style, she may not like the design. That rig has a lot of detail that may not be appreciated if she' prefers sleek design. Is she more of an antiques girl or would you say she prefers more modern, sleek designs, in her every day life? If she's the latter, I'm not sure this design would be right for her. As for the standard halo, I will never speak ill of it, but I do think it's the Toyota Camry of rings. They can be high end or low end, they are classic in design and 20 years from now, you'll still see them but everyone has one. I have a couple of halo rings and I wouldn't want one as my e-ring because I do like something different but a lot of women want the ring that others have and that's perfectly fine. If you want something different and you aren't sure if she's a modern woman or an antique woman, and you aren't sure about the standard halo, I think the art-deco era styles are a good compromise. They manage to speak to both types or ring wearers. I love this style from VC and I'm sure it could be set with a round stone: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/art-deco-baguette-trilogy

If you love the halo and want something a bit different (and the budget allows) consider a pave halo with a double edge. That second row tends to set the halo apart from the average: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-cushion-two-row-pave-halo

However, I would let that sapphire shine on its own with a sparkly band of pave and a solitaire setting: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/solitaire-in-multi-row-pave-with-old-european-cut
It manages to walk that line between sparkle queen and subtle glamour.

Any way you go, you've started with the best base, a beautiful stone. The rest is just icing! Congratulations on your pending engagement! Let us know which direction you go with the ring and I definitely want to see the final setting.

Marsha

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If she wants a statement piece with the wow factor, #2 is it for sure! The first one, while pretty, is very cookie cutter to me.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 2 is much more interesting. Definitely prefer it.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in the #2 camp. I love the chunkier halo and vintage style.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
I personally prefer number 1 but would definitely steer clear if her friends have a similar style. Have you thought about something more minimalist like the round & tapered baguette trilogy with flush stems design?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number 2.
It’s a twist on a classic style. Unique design elements making a slighly antique look very modern and up to date.
The other ring (no 1) is too bland, a halo with diamonds on the shank like so many other rings. A popular style choice as its lovely, but nothing noteworthy.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP not sure if you are still working this out but I want to add a voice to the minority (#1) - I think as another poster mentioned it really depends on your SO's style/preferences. Me for example, I don't like milgrain for some reason and would rather have the more streamlined look of the first setting, even if it is more common. Good luck!

epgree

Rough_Rock
I like the direction you went when you said a sapphire "perhaps is unique enough on it's own without pairing it with a unique setting"...and depending on what your partner's taste is, I think you could go even further in this direction. I think this is stunning for example (and could easily be translated to a round stone):

For a little more bling, I love the suggestion Martha gave for the art deco style. Lots of people have halos, which feels a little "cookie cutter" to me (though to each their own!).

That stone you chose is absolutely stunning! Congrats!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Given that your fiancée doesn’t want a cookie cutter ring, I would vote for number 2 too just because it has details that set it apart. But it’s not like it’s a bold statement since it’s still a classic style. If she likes wearing pearls, she might be slightly vintage-y at heart!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the vintage cluster halo with the baguettes on the side setting the best of your options that you showed. I am not a fan of halos and hate pave. I prefer a three stone ring for an engagement ring. As such a three stone setting with round diamonds on each side or baguettes or bullets would be stunning with that beautiful stone.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, did not see the VC video before posting on the VC vintage ring. I would swap out the tiny diamonds on the side with baguettes if you are going halo.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I vote #2 too, but I'm a little disappointed we're not going to get to see asteroid rock in the setting.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you describe your girl's style a bit more? Both settings are in the current trend for halo-type settings. Is the vintage boho, urban grunge, elegant with unique pieces thrown in, is she into fashion? What does she do professionally? Favorite color? Does she have a clothing designer she loves? If you can give a bit more about her style, then we can offer some unique options that would suit. I often recommend folks browse through GreenLakeJewelery, Maevona (instagram better than her website), TheGemstoneProject, CVBInspired Design, Mocium and DigbyandDiona (Instagram) , among others to get some inspiration.

Last edited:

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've finally found the blue sapphire I've been searching for for my partner's engagement ring. It's a 4.5ct unheated 9.5mm round. Here are some pics of the stone:
unnamed-2.jpg unnamed.jpg

I'm going to have Victor Canera make the ring, and am torn between two settings. I'm hoping perhaps some women can weigh in here to help tip the scales of this decision:

Option 1: The Emilya halo. Clean, simple, but stunning. I see the pros of this ring being that it doesn't have a "style" that it screams, so it perhaps goes better with everything? Also it's perhaps a bit more of a blank slate for her to design a matching wedding band. The con if any, is that I've seen this style setting many times, many of our friends' rings are similar (although not with a blue sapphire, and not likely with Victor's personal touch and craftsmanship).
Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 12.09.42 PM.png
video:

Option 2: Vintage Cluster Halo. This one is definitely more unique. Victor unequivocally recommended this setting for this stone. I do feel the antique style really suits the sapphire, and the craftsmanship is remarkable on this ring. I don't necessarily know whether vintage jewelry is her style or not, she doesn't currently own any except for occasionally wearing pearls when dressing up, but I do know unique pieces are her style. The only con I could see is that it is such a unique style, perhaps it makes too strong or specific a statement for everyday wear?
Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 12.10.00 PM.png
video:
(I think the video on this one really shows it off better than the photo).

A little background: The only hints my partner has ever dropped about a ring style, is that she doesn't want a diamond, mostly because she doesn't want a "cookie cutter ring", she wants something "unique" and "unusual". Thats why I went with a sapphire, which perhaps is unique enough on it's own without pairing it with a unique setting? I've been given some general advice from a few women who said, "when in doubt, go with the most timeless and classic design, which is what most women would likely choose for themselves." I can say without a doubt that there is no wrong choice. I've done some feeling out of my partner, and I know that she would prefer to be surprised, and she's made it clear that she would love any ring I gave her because I picked it out with her in mind. So there's no risk of picking the "wrong" ring here, but I want to get her the most "right" one.

So, which of these does the best job at knocking your socks off? :D

I’m definitely in the number 1 camp. I’ve been looking for a sapphire myself, and if I found a round it’d almost be certainly going in an Emilya. I think it’s timeless and really makes the sapphire stand out.

If you’re not sure about your girlfriends taste, I’d be weary about number 2. I know a lot of people on here have said that would be there choice, but I really don’t like the style. And I think there in lies the problem - it’s a much stronger design, which people may love or hate. I guess number one is the ‘safer’ option, although that’s not to say it won’t be stunning, as I’m sure it absolutely will be.

Can I ask where you found your sapphire? It’s beautiful. I’d love something similar!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results