shape
carat
color
clarity

which ring is worth the money??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nabz

Rough_Rock
hi :),

I''m new to this forum and have just started my ring shopping and am new to learning all the features of the website (so please bear with me :)). I''ve noticed most of you have recommended doing your research and buying online since its cheaper and overall a better diamond for what you pay. At the time being though, i''m only looking for an in-store purchase. I''ve looked around at all the local mall stores (Zales was the only store i found something reasonable) and Costco. I found a few rings i''d like your input and honest advice on. Any experience related to customer service, returns and replacements (for lost diamonds, loose settings, etc at Costco and Zales) as well as Zales "lifelong commitment" would also be appreciated. i want to purchase the best bang for the buck :).

***Also, if anyone has any recommendations for jewellers or shops in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) area, please let me know! :)***

I was having trouble posting pictures, but here are links to the rings i have seen so far and was interested in:

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2473115&cp=2071133.2115463&cp=2071133&fbn=StorePrice%7CMore+than+%241500.01&fbc=1&categoryId=2115463&fr=StorePrice%2FZALES%2F00150001%2F9999999900&parentPage=search&searchId=22231242243#reviews

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2561614&cp=2109180.2137033.&fbx=0&cp=2109180.2137033&fbn=Certified%7CCertified&f=PAD%2FRing+Style%2FSolitaire&f=PAD%2FMetal+Color%2FWhite&f=PAD%2FCertified%2FCertified&fbc=1&parentPage=search&searchId=22231348213

i have the diamond serial numbers as well. Does anyone know where I can look up more information using the serial number online? I can post them here if it helps!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11239147&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|55926|55928&N=4017687&Mo=35&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=36&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=55928&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC15128-Cat55926&topnav=

I know this particular Costco ring come with an IGI certificate. Some of the other ones come with both IGI and GIA. The Zales rings only come with GS laboratory certificates. What is the major difference between these three? What are some main questions I should ask and things I should look for before making the final purchase??

Thanks in advance for any and all help :). I''m very new to all this and just don''t want to get ripped off!

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nabz,
Welcome. I am relatively new here, too. But, what you might want to start with is a search of the threads for Zales and also IGI. That should give you some insight, Not to pry, but can I ask why you''re ruling out buying online? The quality I found with PriceScope vendors was way better than what I saw at local stores, and the prices are lower, too. The only real shortcoming I have found with buying online is that you can''t try anything on, so choosing a setting is a challenge. I''m sure the others here with more experience can help you. I must say the education here is fun though!
BB

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS
35.gif

First and foremost, you need to consider the CUT of the diamond. None of these rings has cut info on the diamonds in the settings. Cut is more important than color and clarity IF you want the diamond to sparkle and shine and really dazzle her. Great color and clarity mean nothing if the diamond has a crappy cut.

An I1 or I2 diamond with a Zales lab certificate will almost certainly show inclusions. Will this bother you/her?

GIA is a respected lab, as is AGS. These are the two you can really trust. IGI graded diamonds will tend to be exaggerated in the color and/or clarity.

These are two very different style of rings. Do you know what she has in mind?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 3:20:50 PM
Author:nabz
***Also, if anyone has any recommendations for jewellers or shops in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) area, please let me know! :)***
The jeweler that did my ering is in the San Fernando Valley/ Los Angeles area. He has a place in the LA Diamond District and also one in the Westfield Topanga Mall (the mall that was just re done). You can go to the Topanga Mall and go the the Topanga Jewelers (it is more of a booth and not a full on store since he does business out of the Diamond District) and ask for Norman. He will bring whatever you want to look at.

I would stay away from Zales... those diamonds are not really of the best quality, you can get so much more for your money elsewhere. Costco on the other hand I have not heard anything negative about. The only downside to Costco is that they will not work on your jewelry so you have to find a local person to do that. I believe all of their rings come in size 7.

HTH. Good luck with your search.

nolimits

Rough_Rock
I recently found a setting and diamond at Zales Outlet store in TX that I liked. It had a great cut and color, but as already noted the stone was an I1 and that was according to an SOL (?) certificate. It came down to this, as beautiful as the stone was I could easily see inclusions and determined this was NOT the stone for me. I asked if they had stones of a higher quality and they seemed surprised I would want that and told me all they carried was I quality but could order something for me.

I''d consider an online purchase from some of the TRUSTED vendors on here. From what I''ve read the people like Whiteflash, Good Old Gold and James Allen are all good and trusted sources.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
As others have said, cut is where it's at and neither Zales nor Costco is going to give you the info needed to determine cut. Judging from the rings you've asked about, you have a nice budget and could WOW her SOCKS off (along with all the people over the years that will see and oooooh and ahhhh over her ring) by going with a more reputable vendor.....

Here's what I would do:

Go for a Whiteflash ACA or ES stone:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-150441.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-457844.htm

If you could compare stones as these I've listed to the stones you'll get from Costco or Zales, I'd be willing to bet my diamond
2.gif
these would blow theirs out of the WATER.

Looks like you're considering a solitaire by chance, WF has some great solitaires:

The gorgeous Legato Sleek Line solitaire:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Legato--Sleek-Line_1118.htm

Or possibly the WF Classic Tiffany style knife edge, happens to be the setting I have and adore
4.gif
:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Classic-tiffany-style-Knife-Edge_1137.htm

You'll save the sales tax being out of state for one. And you'll get a ring that will out shine and out perform virtually any Zales or Costco diamond out there.
36.gif

nabz

Rough_Rock
thanks for the tips guys :). about these online vendors such as whiteflash- how great is their warranty/return/exchange policy? what if my prongs come lose or i need my ring examined or adjusted? do they take care of that or do i have to find a local jeweller?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nabz

Rough_Rock
the online vendors all seem great, but i personally want to be able to see, feel, touch, try on the ring before i buy it so i don''t think i''d go that route. i''m starting to really like the zales ring, but just came to find out the ring isn''t "certified". the sales clerk said it comes with a certificate (which i think is again GSL), but doesn''t have the serial number? what the heck does that mean? it comes with the zales lifetime warranty so they''ll replace the diamond if it gets lost, cracked, etc. the color is H and the diamonds are VS1 and VS2 clarity. i''m thoroughly confused! i really like this ring and style, but don''t want to be ripped off if it isn''t certified. please help! can i get zales to sell me a GIA or AGS ring? will i have to pay extra since i''m assuming its a custom order as they don''t carry them in their normal stock?

nabzz.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Just so you know, some of the best vendors will let you see the diamond before you purchase it. I had mine sent to an independent appraiser prior to sending any money so I could see it first and decide if I liked it. I did this because I was purchasing a fancy shape. If you are looking for a round diamond, a WF branded ACA diamond will BLOW away anything you will ever see at Zales. And if you don't like it they will easily return it.

Please ignore the 'lifetime warranty.' You will still need to insure your ring, as those warranties tend to have lots of holes in them. Unless you can afford to easily replace the diamond/ring if something were to happen to it, you must have insurance.

I have no idea if Zales sellls GIA or AGS diamonds. You need to ask them that question. However, I would NOT trust a Zales certificate. I simply don't trust it to accurately assess the stone.

If you 'don't want to get ripped off' you are shopping with the wrong vendor, IMO.

nolimits

Rough_Rock
The local Zales around here doesn''t have GIA or AGS certified diamonds. Nor do they have VS+ quality stones in their inventory. The fact the ring has a cert but no serial number and knowing the quality of stones my local Zales stores carries makes me very leery of this transaction.

Have you actually louped the ring and verified the inclusions match what''s shown on the cert and to also see how easy or hard they are to see?

I understand the need to touch, feel and see the diamond before you buy, but as noted by others many of these reputable online dealers have a time period to examine the diamond and return it for a full refund if you aren''t completely happy with the purchase. I am new to online diamond shopping as well, but have gotten a good feeling with WhiteFlash, James Allen and Good Old Gold. Actually GOG appears to have some really, really nice stones and offers more reports, etc than the others...at least that is easily and readily accessible. The others may provide the additional reports if requested.

One of these shops may even be located within driving distance of you. Have you verified that? Or perhaps there is an actual jeweler shop in your area that deals in higher quality stones in your area?

Just a few more thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results