shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Red Spinel do you prefer?

hannaht

Rough_Rock
I hope you can view these. I am considering one of these for a ring. They are all Burmese. Spin 9j is 1.45 ct VVS; Spin 41a is 1.29 ct, loupe clean; and Spin 95i is .97 ct, loupe clean.

Please post your opinions.

Spin 95i (2).JPG

Spin 41a (2).JPG

Spin 9j (3).JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like all three spinels are from the same vendor. Is the vendor able to photograph all 3 stones together in the same picture for you to better compare them fairly under the same lighting condition? Also, ask the vendor if any shifts to something orangish or brownish under incandescent lighting. Spinel 1 is the reddest but could end up showing more extinction than the other 2. I’m not crazy about the cut on Spinel 2 as it might show a bowtie in the center but I’m not 100% sure. It is also rather elongated but that’s a personal preference. Spinel 3 seems to have a stronger purple modifier.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first spinel has a very apparent bow tie (the dark areas in the centre). It's unlikely that this will go away but it is the best red of the 3 gems.

The second spinel has a lighter centre (I wouldn't call that a normal looking bow tie) although I would say that it shows quite pink in the middle due to the cut. I quite like this one because of the cut and the fact that it looks slightly lighter. When set it will possibly look a fraction darker and this will, I would think, help the pink to appear more red. However, you need to ask the vendor if it performs as well as the other two. The cut may inhibit its performance.

The last one looks like it will be too dark and has areas of extinction. I like this one the least as it will probably darken even more once set.

I think Chrono's idea of having them all photographed together is an excellent one. I'd also ask the vendor if any of them black out in natural daylight. One of my spinels that looks very much like no.1 above and is sensational in indoor lighting but darkens badly outside and is very unattractive.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Spinel number 2 worries me. It appears to have a large window (may be just a tilt window, though) and the background is blown out, specially if you compare it with the other 2 pictures. I think it is much darker in real life.

I like the first one best, personally, despite the bowtie.

hannaht

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comments, I will contact the vendor and ask the questions you've suggested. I don't sense any real enthusiasm about any of the stones. So perhaps I should keep looking? These range in price from $325.00 to $1245 per stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you are looking for in your red spinel. If you are on a tight budget, then some faults can be forgiven if the price is low enough. If you have a generous budget, then I’d keep looking if these do not meet your requirements.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I don't think any of them are worth $1245. The one I like the best is 95i, the last one, but as mentioned by other posters, it would probably be very dark when set. I love the red tones of all of these, though! I think you could do better :wink2:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently bought a similar spinel (it might have been from a different vendor but it looks similar) and while the cut, albeit native, is OK, it is darker than in picture. The color does not shift to orange but has a tad of brownish in it. I did not return it back but do not plan to set it anytime soon because I ran out of ideas. All I can say is that it should not be bezeled - too dark. I think the stones are too small for the price.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
3rd.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto - the 3rd.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results