shape
carat
color
clarity

Which PS vendors will do repairs/modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I have a few pieces that likely will need to be tweaked in the near future. Both are ebay finds-so I can't go back to the person who made/sold them.

It occurred to me that I had no idea if any of the PS vendors do repairs or tweaks of existing settings! So anyone had a PS vendor work with them on something they already had?

I have two things to be done:

1. An eternity band (all the stones are set in a metal bezel of sorts but are bead-set inside) that I would love to try and get resized a touch. When I bought it the consensus was that it could be resized-but that it would take a skilled benchman.

2. A shared prong ring that needs to be sized (not an eternity) and also have the prongs redone.

Anyone know which lovely PS jewelers might do this kind of work? I have a local person too but honestly I am not sure I trust them with this-they don't always listen perfectly to directions...although they have done lovely work for me in the past...so I'll go there if I have to.

Both items aren't too expensive so shipping isn't an issue.

I also thought this might be a good "sticky" topic as people ask these questions all the time and it would be nice to refer them to a thread...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI nf!
The first ring does sound like it may pose a problem. Do you need it made larger, or smaller, and by how much?
Making one smaller can be done by adding a little metal to the inside.
Any large changes on such a ring are more difficult.

The common prong band should not be a problem for a company that makes common prong rings.

Our company does have the facilities, and would be glad to do such work for any PS reader/poster.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks David. The first ring just needs to be a teensy bit smaller-but I did purchase it knowing it might pose a problem (and if it does I can simply wear it on another finger). I posted pictures at some point and a few people weighed in and thought it wouldn't be a problem so I am hoping that is the case. Each diamond is set in a square bezel of sorts and they are attached to each other. But the diamonds are bead set inside the bezel if that makes sense...probably doesn't!

Good to know that DBL does do that work.

Anyone else? I'd love to compile a list for future PSers to "sticky"!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not only does your description make complete sense, I can see it in my head!

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My company can do any repair or modification work too. I would be more than happy to do this kind of project for any PSer. I am in Chicago and have a full workshop, including access to a Laser-welder. I would be more than happy to take smaller projects through the mail, but I might not want to take the risk of repairs on larger items from out state. If it is a full custom project I am doing for you however, I would be willing to take more liability in transit back and on the bench.

I am always available to answer your jewelry related issues. Having just launched, I am am always exited to work with new clients.
1.gif

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact Brian gavin. I know he''ll do those as well! He was going to modify/change my current setting. But I''m getting a bigger stone first, so the modifications have been put on hold!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Threadjack! Jonathan, where are you in Chicago?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink has tweaked a few of my ebay finds. He''s always done a great job for me.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2009 5:16:22 PM
Author: AprilBaby
Threadjack! Jonathan, where are you in Chicago?

I live in Roscoe Village right now, and my workshop is downtown. I keep most of my inventory in Skokie, and I am renovating a jewelry Salon/Office space in Evanston. Trying to keep costs down by not having an expensive storefront so I can give more value to my clients.

1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Quest did a few tweaks for me on a ring I bought at a local jeweler, and I highly recommend them. They completely re-did the prongs on my ER (not eternity band, though), refurbished the milgrain, and properly replated the rhodium (completely removed the old rhodium, polished and dipped the ring in a neutralizing solution before replating). They also did a few other things like removing solder that had pooled, and fillling in some uneven spots where tiny prongs had been scooped. I dealt with Hap, and I know other PSers have had favorable dealings with his brother Pete. They are competant, skilled, and realistic in saying what they are able to do. This job was not a big money-maker for them, but they treated me extremely well, nonetheless. If I had another job, I would take it to them in a second.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just going to mention Quest. They repaired my OMC ring the jeweler mangled, not sure if you remember that neat. At any rate, it sounds like many could do this job, I just wanted to throw in Quest for future posters as well.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Quest did a beautiful repair job on an antique ring for me and also did some tweaking on my engagement ring. Both came out perfectly.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 8:43:06 PM
Author: strmrdr
Drew at DD designs does all my work.

If your near Northern IL he is excellent to work with.

http://www.ddjewelrydesign.com/index.html

Thanks Strm! I am actually-I am in Madison. I'll have to check him out for sure since he is semi-local. Should I tell him you sent me to get the Karl discount?
2.gif

Keep em coming guys if anyone knows of other vendors. I'll ask Andrey to add it to the helpful threads too.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 7:54:22 PM
Author: Ellen
I was just going to mention Quest. They repaired my OMC ring the jeweler mangled, not sure if you remember that neat. At any rate, it sounds like many could do this job, I just wanted to throw in Quest for future posters as well.

Oh I do remember that Ellen. Mangled is a very nice word for what they did! Quest is probably a great candidate for these projects...just need to figure out how much this is all going to cost.
23.gif

On another note though...would you still work with them after the Aqua fiasco?

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Wink Jones/Winfields repaired my mother''s wedding ring, which had been mangled by a local jeweler. (Long, sad story.) Their team took wonderful care of the ring, which had great sentimental value for my mom (probably a given, I guess!) and did a beautiful job with the repair. We were beyond happy!! As always, Wink''s customer service is exceptional.
1.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
can anyone point me to a jeweler to do repairs and tweaks in NY? i''m in westchester country - just north of NYC. i''m looking for someone to re-do some overlarge prongs...

i''m not sure where most of the jewelers you''re mentioning are located and i dont want ot send my rings out of state for such small repairs. i do want them to be done well, however.

anyone know anyone for prong reduction in NY?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 10:07:48 PM
Author: neatfreak

Oh I do remember that Ellen. Mangled is a very nice word for what they did! Quest is probably a great candidate for these projects...just need to figure out how much this is all going to cost.
23.gif

On another note though...would you still work with them after the Aqua fiasco?
For a repair I would (I have never been able to say enough about what a fantastic job Pete did on the OMC piece), but not for a custom setting.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2009 11:06:42 PM
Author: kathleenmv
Wink Jones/Winfields repaired my mother''s wedding ring, which had been mangled by a local jeweler. (Long, sad story.) Their team took wonderful care of the ring, which had great sentimental value for my mom (probably a given, I guess!) and did a beautiful job with the repair. We were beyond happy!! As always, Wink''s customer service is exceptional.
1.gif

Thank you to both you and Addy for the kind words. They are appreciated.

Neatfreak,
there are many vendors here who can help you, but for this type of work if you are fortunate enough to find a local jeweler it is always a great thing. Then you can sit face to face and discuss things with much less chance of a communication gap.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results