shape
carat
color
clarity

Which one???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tiger95

Rough_Rock
4 choices. Any opinions? Or something different???

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1575024.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1372859.htm

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 8.64 - 8.68 x 5.30 mm
Carat Weight: 2.45
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 61.2 %
Table: 58 %
Crown Angle: 35°
Crown Height: 14.5 %
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43 %
Star length: 55 %
Lower Half: 75 %
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Comments: Internal graining is not shown

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 8.55 - 8.59 x 5.29 mm
Carat Weight: 2.39 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote goes to #4

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 1:47:42 PM
Author: Lorelei
My vote goes to #4
Mine would too out of the 4, or, the stone TS picked. (be sure to check it out, there''s a video)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 6:50:46 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 11/8/2008 1:47:42 PM

Author: Lorelei

My vote goes to #4
Mine would too out of the 4, or, the stone TS picked. (be sure to check it out, there''s a video)

Agreed. 4 or TS''s pick.

Tiger95

Rough_Rock
Thanks. #4 looks great.

What are your thoughts on #3? My gf was really looking for a G or better and I thought that #3 might be a good option.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#4. You probably wouldn''t be able to tell the difference between a G & an H once it is mounted.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 12:56:36 AM
Author: Tiger95
Thanks. #4 looks great.

What are your thoughts on #3? My gf was really looking for a G or better and I thought that #3 might be a good option.
It's possible it could be a great stone. However, GIA rounds their numbers, so the crown and pavilion angles (very important) may not be what they say on paper. The combo as it is, is a hair iffy. I'd want an IS pic before saying for sure. That's why we picked 4, it's got very "safe" numbers.
28.gif

Unless your girlfriend knows for sure she is color sensitive, I agree that the H would be fine in a well cut stone.

Tiger95

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the explanation.

Her sister has an I ring and she definitely can see the color- thus me wanting to make sure to go up 2 steps to a G. I know that you probably won''t see the ring is set, but I would rather not take the chance (even though my poor eyes do have a much harder time!)

So I ran the numbers for #4 in the HCA and it came out <2. That''s pretty good, right? Am I still missing something with this? I''ll definitely get an IS before purchasing and even show everyone to get their input.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I am definitley still learning here and it is so generous of all of you to take time to help a stranger out!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2008 10:20:55 AM
Thanks for the explanation.

Her sister has an I ring and she definitely can see the color- thus me wanting to make sure to go up 2 steps to a G. I know that you probably won''t see the ring is set, but I would rather not take the chance (even though my poor eyes do have a much harder time!)

So I ran the numbers for #4 in the HCA and it came out <2. That''s pretty good, right? Am I still missing something with this? I''ll definitely get an IS before purchasing and even show everyone to get their input.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I am definitley still learning here and it is so generous of all of you to take time to help a stranger out!
What Ellen is concerned about Tiger, is that the crown and pavilion angles are hovering around the '' danger zone'' for what we call steep/ deep. This basically means that the crown and pavilion angles might be a little steep and deep to work as well as they could together. As GIA rounds the numbers, depending on which direction they are actually rounded, this diamond could be fine or it could show some light leakage which is often a result of a steep deep combo. An Idealscope image should show whether this is an issue or not - the diamond could be perfectly fine but with a combo like this it is best to check.

Tiger95

Rough_Rock
Got it! It is all starting to make sense now. I didn''t get the concept that GIA rounded their scores.

I''ll keep looking and definitely get an IS if I decide to get this one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2008 10:40:31 AM
Got it! It is all starting to make sense now. I didn't get the concept that GIA rounded their scores.

I'll keep looking and definitely get an IS if I decide to get this one.

Glad to help! With combos like that and also shallower ones ( say 34/ 40.6 for example and
Here are some ' cliff's notes' from one of our experts which may help also with angle combos.

With that said, here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results