shape
carat
color
clarity

Which One Should I Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ErikV

Rough_Rock
Hi, this is my first post, so I apologize if it gets old answering these types of questions?:)

I have one of those rare girlfriends that doesn't want a "large" stone. Her brother is a missionary overseas and she would feel self conscious if she received a stone that is too large. I understand her feelings and have managed to talk her into a 1.00ct. She prefers the Radiant cut and I've attempted to find something that fits as close to the "ideal" cut specs that I've seen. The two Radiants that I've found are as follows:

1. Carat Size: 1.01
Clarity: VVS2
Color: G
Depth: 68.1
Table: 64
Girdle: STK-TK
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Flour: None
Meas: 5.71x5.67x3.86
Price: $4,794
Cert: GIA

2. Carat Size: 1.01
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Depth: 68.1
Table: 64
Girdle: TK
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flour: None
Meas: 5.67x5.61x3.82
Price: $5,580
Cert: GIA

These are fairly close, so I'm wondering if the second is really worth the premium over the first. Would you buy a VVS2/G over a VS2/F? I don't have any data on the Crown and Pavilion, but am planning on making some phone calls tomorrow. I am asking her parents for their blessing on Christmas Eve so I'll be buying something over the next week or so. Luckily I already know what they will say!;-) Thanks for your help!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I do not know anything about radiants except that they are pretty. I would drop the clarity to VS2 to save that F. Why pay for clarity that you will not be able to see when radiants may (I said may) hold more color. Between an F or a G radiant, I would take the F. This is just my personal opinion, but I hope this helps.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I don't anything about radiants either, but there's something amiss here for me....have you seen these stones? Do you know where the inclusions are located? What is the cut like on both of these stones? Here's my concerns:

Both stones are the same carat weight, same depth and table, right? Then explain this to me:

Stone #1

5.71x5.67x3.86
G/VVS2
$4,794

Stone#2
5.67x5.61x3.82
F/VS2
$5,580

How is it that the carat weight is the same, when the length, width and depth of the first is larger than the second and still be $800 less? I'm guessing the 2nd stone (although it's a VS2 versus a VVS2) has a better cut to it, therefore will have a better fire/brilliance performance to it...if you haven't seen these stones, I want to get pictures and reports (more than just the GIA report) as the price differential is steep.

JMHO...but maybe more of the experts can weigh in?!

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
one vote for #1

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/23/2005 4:04:29 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna
I don''t anything about radiants either, but there''s something amiss here for me....have you seen these stones? Do you know where the inclusions are located? What is the cut like on both of these stones? Here''s my concerns:

Both stones are the same carat weight, same depth and table, right? Then explain this to me:

Stone #1

5.71x5.67x3.86
G/VVS2
$4,794

Stone#2
5.67x5.61x3.82
F/VS2
$5,580

How is it that the carat weight is the same, when the length, width and depth of the first is larger than the second and still be $800 less? I''m guessing the 2nd stone (although it''s a VS2 versus a VVS2) has a better cut to it, therefore will have a better fire/brilliance performance to it...if you haven''t seen these stones, I want to get pictures and reports (more than just the GIA report) as the price differential is steep.

JMHO...but maybe more of the experts can weigh in?!

It does seem like that doesn''t it? Also, in my research for RB''s is seemed like all things being equal (ideal cut etc) a diamond of 1 carat and an F color tended to be about $1100 dollars more than a G color.

About the diamonds, I''m no expert but I would second the opinion to go with the F if the color is a concern and money is no problem. I always thought you needed the highest clarity but after reading all of these boards I came to the conclusion that why pay more for something you can''t actually see and won''t really affect the performance of the diamond? But that is just my opinion
2.gif
Of course, you could always lower the color and go for ideal cut, it is all about personal preference.

Good luck, I''m sure the experts here will weigh in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results