shape
carat
color
clarity

Which one is better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angelajjong

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Would be most grateful if you could give some comments on which diamond is a better buy. The pricing of both the stones are the same.

1st Diamond
GIA Certified
Shape and Cutting STyle: Brilliant
Measurements: 6.47 - 6.53 x 3.95 mm
Weight : 1.02 carats
Proportions
Depth: 60.8%
Table: 58%
Girdle: Thin to MEdium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity Grade: VS1
Color Grade: F
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Additional pinpoints, internal graining, and surface graining are not shown.

2nd Diamond

HRD Certified
Shape and Cutting STyle: Brilliant
Clarity Grade: VS2
Color Grade: F
Weight: 1.01 carat
Measurements: 6.30 - 6.33 x 4.03 mm
Girdle: 4.5% MEdium
Table: 57%
Crown Height: 16%
PAvilion Dept: 43.5%
Finish: Good
Culet: None
Comments: None

I am leaning more towards the GIA one, however, I''m a bit worried about the comments. Should I be???

Thanks in advance for any of the replies..
Angela
twirl.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum angelajjong

Picking from these two and making an assumption that the crown height is good, I would take #1. Don't worry about the comments. A VS1 is something many here only dream about. The pinpoints not shown are too small to plot and you will never see them with a 10X loupe unless you are an expert and the graining is something you can only see in a microscope in certain directions and with the right lighting. The only possible problem with this diamond would be if the crown height was too high or low. Ask the owner to run a sarin and give you the crown height.
It looks like a nice diamond...if the price is right?
Have a nice day!

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Have you got the Idealscope as a tool to assess the cut ? Because the GIA cert alone tells you little about the cut and it's almost impossible to assess the cut with GIA infos (which is also my current problem).

The two stones are indeed similar in all aspects.

Why do you prefer the GIA one ? Because of the price ?

VS1 and VS2 are good enough for clarity.

F color is good too.

Then it's down to the cut - which is the hardest bit - if you have been reading all the postings on this forum.

If you can grab hold of one of these Idealscope and learn to use it on the two stones, it'll help you a great deal. Otherwise you have to get more details about the stone's measurements to have a better assessment about the cut.

I've read previous postings about HRD cert - and the feedback was they could be stricter than GIA.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
For me the 1st one - hands down!

Look at the differences in diameter between the 2 stones - the 1st one is right on for a well cut 1ct. stone, the 2nd too small - a clue to the problem with the 2nd is the girdle - 4+% is NOT medium in anyone's book! - it's thick!

Good luck!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Diamond Expert, HRD measures girdle in a different way from US standards. Usually the right thickness is HRD data - 1.7%... Hence 2.8%, which is sl.thick, but HRD doesn't use this description. They use ext.thin, v.thin, thin, medium, thick, v.thick, ext.thick...
Hope this helps...
1.gif

BTW, #1 looks MUCH better!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results