shape
carat
color
clarity

Which one is better?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
The first one. Weird things happen when PA angles start going over 41.something ... the average on the second diamond is 41.2 ... that means it’s even higher in some spots.

ETA: the first one also has a higher crown, better CA, and smaller table. It looks like it has a lot of potential .... can you get images of it? (Still prefer PA under 41)

46C29514-F9EE-4C42-B7D5-53ED7DD00E81.jpeg

Last edited:

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
But I cannot assume that the 3.04ct can't perform well

How can the second stone perform well with a 41.2 Pavillion Angle? As Kmoro pointed out GIA rounds the numbers so it can even be higher than that.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that size, I wouldn't accept anything less than an ideal cut. I would recommend looking at Brian Gavin, high performance diamonds, or Whiteflash.

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade
How can the second stone perform well with a 41.2 Pavillion Angle? As Kmoro pointed out GIA rounds the numbers so it can even be higher than that.
Well, first off, I did not really say it can perform well, it is more like "it might". Usually, if based on numbers alone, I will be more careful to comment on whether stone A is better than stone B. I can only comment what is the "safer range".

But then again, now that I looked at the ASET of the 3.04ct, it is actually pretty bad at the 6 o'clock region, but that is due to cut quality. So yea, I can agree that the second stone is not so good.

Now, that being said, I am hoping that someone that has a super ideal and a 33.5CA/41.2PA combo GIA RB to chip in and provide some insights on their differences in real life. I am saying this because some videos I found are just a comparison between of a bad by proportions GIA 3EX (something that has 41.4 PA) against a super ideal.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Well, first off, I did not really say it can perform well, it is more like "it might". Usually, if based on numbers alone, I will be more careful to comment on whether stone A is better than stone B. I can only comment what is the "safer range".

But then again, now that I looked at the ASET of the 3.04ct, it is actually pretty bad at the 6 o'clock region, but that is due to cut quality. So yea, I can agree that the second stone is not so good.

Now, that being said, I am hoping that someone that has a super ideal and a 33.5CA/41.2PA combo GIA RB to chip in and provide some insights on their differences in real life. I am saying this because some videos I found are just a comparison between of a bad by proportions GIA 3EX (something that has 41.4 PA) against a super ideal.

You’re right ...but it depends on more than those two angles ... symmetry is extremely important ... if the 33.5/41.2 is cut super tightly, it may have excellent light performance. However, as you pointed out, the ASET shows that this is not the case for this particular diamond ... it is unlikely that a person would be unable to see the difference between this 33.5/41.2 GIA XXX and a super-ideal, imo. So now you have an example of a GIA XXX 41.2 PA that performs poorly next to a super-ideal.

speedster29

Rough_Rock
The first one. Weird things happen when PA angles start going over 41.something ... the average on the second diamond is 41.2 ... that means it’s even higher in some spots.

ETA: the first one also has a higher crown, better CA, and smaller table. It looks like it has a lot of potential .... can you get images of it? (Still prefer PA under 41)

46C29514-F9EE-4C42-B7D5-53ED7DD00E81.jpeg
I requested some pictures yesterday still waiting.

speedster29

Rough_Rock
For 10% more you can get a beautiful cut like this ... it’s a J, but still ... for that size and money, why get a less than ideal cut?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3891970.htm

Or just under 3 carats and SI1:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045357.htm

WF seems to have quite a few that are just under 3 carats ... and a bunch of 3 carat choices ... and they are ACA ... with a $1 upgrade policy ....
Do you think AGS's better than GIA?
For 10% more you can get a beautiful cut like this ... it’s a J, but still ... for that size and money, why get a less than ideal cut?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3891970.htm

Or just under 3 carats and SI1:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045357.htm

WF seems to have quite a few that are just under 3 carats ... and a bunch of 3 carat choices ... and they are ACA ... with a $1 upgrade policy ....

speedster29

Rough_Rock
Ags is stricter on cut than GIA. So an AGS 000 stone is almost certainly going to be a great cut, whereas GIA XXX doesn't guarantee good performance
Im looking for 2.7-3 carats stone with $30K budget.
Thank you so much for answer my question. @lovedogs

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would be my choice for your budget:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10685

I know it's a tiny bit below 2.7, but it's pretty darn close.

From whiteflash, this would be my choice:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4109834.htm

I was going to recommend this one, but then I saw it was on hold:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10762
You can contact @Wink and HPD to see if anything else like this is coming up soon.

Stones from WF and HPD will face up whiter than a majority of non-branded stones because of the super ideal cut. So I think that these J colored stones won't show much of a noticeable tint vs a non ideal cut I color. But if you are worried about color, the H from HPD will be super white.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Im looking for 2.7-3 carats stone with $30K budget.
Thank you so much for answer my question. @lovedogs

Sorry I took so long! Yes, AGS has proven light performance, where GIA XXX does not, and unfortunately, many GIA XXX diamonds just don’t perform as well as one would expect.

This is a link to a WF explanation ... certainly the source is not objective, but I consider the information factual. A google search for GIA XXX diamond comparisons will bring you a bunch of videos that show the difference between diamonds with the same GIA XXX grade and how differently they can perform.

https://www.whiteflash.com/a-cut-above-diamonds-specifications-and-qualifications/

@lovedogs recommended a gorgeous HPD diamond - you can’t go wrong with a CBI! And WF ACAs are also fabulous. With either vendor, you have a $1 upgrade policy, so you can get over three carats in the future very easily once your budget allows. Cut is the one thing more important than size to most people ... you will have a far more beautiful diamond albeit a bit smaller than you originally planned.

A bit off-topic but I was just thinking about this the other day: When I read the GIA cut grading information, it becomes really hard to believe that GIA XXX can include such poor performing diamonds. The way the GIA site describes evaluation and then concludes that their grading will assure a great purchase is very convincing ... and yet we see this over and over again, where there are serious performance issues with GIA XXX. Of course there are going to be many GIA XXX diamonds that do perform exceptionally well, but the inconsistency is hard to understand.

GIA also rounds the numbers on their certificates, which makes them harder to assess. AGS uses SARIN technology to measure all the angles of the all of the facets to generate the ASET image and the hearts image on the certificate; the numbers on the certificate are very accurate. The GIA problem can be easily overcome by using an Ideal Scope, H&A viewer, and/or ASET scope, but without those pictures, it’s hard to know how good the light performance will be based on the certificate numbers alone. You’ll notice that AGS diamonds are priced slightly higher than a GIA equivalent due to the proven light performance and cut precision. This, plus the fact that the best diamonds tend to get sent to AGS to fetch the best price, makes some of us happy to pay that premium for the peace of mind and guaranteed beauty. Others have more patience to shop around and have had great success with GIA beauties that are definitely out there ... just harder to find.

The best of the best diamonds are sold by HPD (Crafted by Infinity), Brian Gavin, and Whiteflash (in no particular order to me) .... not to say you can’t also get ideal diamonds elsewhere ... but those are the painless routes, imo.

We love our first world problems!!! lol

Good luck and have fun!

speedster29

Rough_Rock
Sorry I took so long! Yes, AGS has proven light performance, where GIA XXX does not, and unfortunately, many GIA XXX diamonds just don’t perform as well as one would expect.

This is a link to a WF explanation ... certainly the source is not objective, but I consider the information factual. A google search for GIA XXX diamond comparisons will bring you a bunch of videos that show the difference between diamonds with the same GIA XXX grade and how differently they can perform.

https://www.whiteflash.com/a-cut-above-diamonds-specifications-and-qualifications/

@lovedogs recommended a gorgeous HPD diamond - you can’t go wrong with a CBI! And WF ACAs are also fabulous. With either vendor, you have a $1 upgrade policy, so you can get over three carats in the future very easily once your budget allows. Cut is the one thing more important than size to most people ... you will have a far more beautiful diamond albeit a bit smaller than you originally planned.

A bit off-topic but I was just thinking about this the other day: When I read the GIA cut grading information, it becomes really hard to believe that GIA XXX can include such poor performing diamonds. The way the GIA site describes evaluation and then concludes that their grading will assure a great purchase is very convincing ... and yet we see this over and over again, where there are serious performance issues with GIA XXX. Of course there are going to be many GIA XXX diamonds that do perform exceptionally well, but the inconsistency is hard to understand.

GIA also rounds the numbers on their certificates, which makes them harder to assess. AGS uses SARIN technology to measure all the angles of the all of the facets to generate the ASET image and the hearts image on the certificate; the numbers on the certificate are very accurate. The GIA problem can be easily overcome by using an Ideal Scope, H&A viewer, and/or ASET scope, but without those pictures, it’s hard to know how good the light performance will be based on the certificate numbers alone. You’ll notice that AGS diamonds are priced slightly higher than a GIA equivalent due to the proven light performance and cut precision. This, plus the fact that the best diamonds tend to get sent to AGS to fetch the best price, makes some of us happy to pay that premium for the peace of mind and guaranteed beauty. Others have more patience to shop around and have had great success with GIA beauties that are definitely out there ... just harder to find.

The best of the best diamonds are sold by HPD (Crafted by Infinity), Brian Gavin, and Whiteflash (in no particular order to me) .... not to say you can’t also get ideal diamonds elsewhere ... but those are the painless routes, imo.

We love our first world problems!!! lol

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you very much! I appreciate your time and insight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results