shape
carat
color
clarity

which one is better

cyang

Rough_Rock
Hi, which one of the diamond is better for a diamond ring?

both are in GIA:

diamond 1:
1.06 carat
medaurement: 6.54 - 6.60 - 4.06mm
color: I
clarity: VS2
cut grade: excellent
crown: 34%
pavillion: 41.4%
table: 58%
depth: 61.8%
girdle: medium - slight thick(faceted) 3.5%

diamond 2:
1.01 carat
medaurement: 6.54 - 6.60 - 3.88mm
color: I
clarity: VS2
cut grade: excellent
crown: 33.5%
pavillion: 40.8%
table: 61%
depth: 59%
girdle: thin to medium(faceted) 3.0%

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the lower half size for #1? Not liking both of these from the numbers. Idealscope image?

EDT:
#1 might have significant leakage issue depending on the lower half size and how well the main facets aligned to each other, need idealscope image.

#2 has a relatively shallow crown, will probably have less fire than a more balanced cut.

cyang

Rough_Rock
This is diamond 1 measurement.

eye_ring_gia.JPG

cyang

Rough_Rock
This is diamond 2 measurement

mv_gia_scale.JPG

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

cyang

Rough_Rock
this is the diamond 1 with its ring setting

ring_1.JPG

cyang

Rough_Rock
diamond 2 in ring setting

DSC00215.JPG

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
use this link, plug in the numbers on your GIA cert for their scores. this tool is great for eliminating bad performing diamonds. ideally you'd like the number to be between 0-2 .

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

your 1st diamond scored a 4.7, and the 2nd one scored a 1.8, which is a lot better ... however the proportions of the 3 diamonds i found for you to be much more ideal .

cyang

Rough_Rock
I have posted all the information i have.

For expert on diamond, you can comment which diamond is better.

For anyone else, you can comment which ring look better. Those picture are taken by different camera. ring 1 was taken by iphone. So just focus on the ring style, not the quality of the picture or the lighting.

Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
the styles are very different. what is the purpose for this ring? i prefer the 1st ring style if it is worn as a fashion ring and not as an engagement ring.

cyang

Rough_Rock
Purpose is engagement ring.

Really 1st ring looks like fashion ring to you? I thought it also looks like engagement ring.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
sorry for the misunderstanding. what i meant was, if the ring is planned as an engagement ring, both would work very well, even though both are of very different styles. if it is NOT for the purpose of an engagement ring, i would choose the 1st one. stylistically, i like the 1st one better on your finger. it's very pretty and feminine. hope this helps !

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
also, i notice the orientation of the prongs on the 2nd ring look strange to me. shouldn't there be a north and south facing prong? i think you posted a similar problem on your other ring?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
frankiextah said:
also, i notice the orientation of the prongs on the 2nd ring look strange to me. shouldn't there be a north and south facing prong? i think you posted a similar problem on your other ring?

Nothing wrong with that prong orientation, some like it that way. I do. Garry prefers it that way, apparently it gives more protection to the stone, you are more likely to hit the stone on the shank side of the ring, 3, 9 o'clock, than the 6, 12 o'clock.

From the numbers both could work. Both have disadvantages, stone 1 probably has some leakage and the large lower half will give it a splintery look, stone 2 relatively large table and shallow crown, probably less fire performance than #1. Can you look at them side by side and see which you prefer?

cyang

Rough_Rock
Hi Stone-cold11,

what do you mean by
" stone 1 probably has some leakage and the large lower half will give it a splintery look"? Are you saying stone 1 is not as bright/sparkle as stone 2? What is splintery look?

And stone 2 is less firy? What is less firy? means when it is exposed to sunlight or indoor light, the reflection is less colorfull?

Thanks,

cyang

cyang

Rough_Rock
frankiextah, thanks for call out your choice in terms of style. I think the same. I think ring 2 is classic, but look plain on me. ring 1 is more elaborating, sophiscated and feminine.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
cyang said:
Hi Stone-cold11,

what do you mean by
" stone 1 probably has some leakage and the large lower half will give it a splintery look"? Are you saying stone 1 is not as bright/sparkle as stone 2? What is splintery look?

And stone 2 is less firy? What is less firy? means when it is exposed to sunlight or indoor light, the reflection is less colorfull?

Thanks,

cyang

Ya, probably not as bright. Splintery look is that the facets will be thinner, the arrow shafts will be thinner, some prefer that some not.

Fire, from the angles, lower crown, probably less dispersion from the light traveling through the stone, thus less likely to be to see color light/fire.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think in this case either one will be a nice stone. Not the most "ideal" proportions, but for most consumers that level of perfection is not needed. If you can see them in person then I would look at them in many different circumstances and choose the one that appeals to your eye the most. These stones pass the initial rejection criteria, so you can let your eyes choose with the assurance that you are picking from nicely cut stones.

I really love the long lgf on the first stone, it is a real pinfire look for fire that appeals to me. But you can look for yourself.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes, I would choose which one appeals to you more! make sure you look at them in different lighting as well. If you are unsure about setting styles, what about a simple pave band? that would combine your two choices.

cyang

Rough_Rock
I did compare those two.

Diamond 1 is a little less bright than diamond 2, not much, very hard to tell, or maybe it is just my psycological effect. The thing i can tell the most is the star arrow. For diamond 1, the star arrow is not as clear as diamond 2. I prefer to see very clear star arrow, since in a round area, if you see clear pattern, isn't that better?

As for firing, i can't tell much difference. I assume firing means reflection of various light spectrum(color). am i right? both are colorful for my eye.

Since i really like the style of ring 1, therefore, i decide to take ring 1 in the end.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
cyang|1304227245|2908954 said:
I did compare those two.

Diamond 1 is a little less bright than diamond 2, not much, very hard to tell, or maybe it is just my psycological effect. The thing i can tell the most is the star arrow. For diamond 1, the star arrow is not as clear as diamond 2. I prefer to see very clear star arrow, since in a round area, if you see clear pattern, isn't that better?

As for firing, i can't tell much difference. I assume firing means reflection of various light spectrum(color). am i right? both are colorful for my eye.

Since i really like the style of ring 1, therefore, i decide to take ring 1 in the end.

What you see is the difference between 75 and 85% lgfs on the two stones. Shorter lgf like the second stone means fatter arrows. Longer lgf like the first means thinner arrows. One is not better than the other. But if you like the fatter arrows, then get the one with fatter arrows!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results