shape
carat
color
clarity

Which one? - I am still so undecided...

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

In the last months I have read your forum and learned a lot. It is an amazing source of info. Thank you!

Regardless of the new knowledge gained, we won't be going for an online diamond. My SO is just not ok with it and I am not ok with having to nag and convince him. It's just not me and I he's actually a wonderfull guy. He likes to make his purchases in real life and as he told me "he doesn't need to know what's under the hood" to drive a car :D So, that brings us to Tiffany's since we'd like to use their upgrade feature anyway. And please know, Tiffany's had been super nice and helpful to us. They immediately said that they would credit us with the full purchase price of the original diamond. Everything was made pretty easy and very friendly.

Having said that, I was wondering whether you all might have some advice for me based on the two diamonds I am considering. Based on the info found here at Pricescope I am pretty sure that we're overpaying but that's that :D However, which one of these two you'd like better and why? I'd be really interested to hear your opinions.

Diamond A
carat: 3.16
measurements: 9.45-9.48x5.87 mm
color: G
cut, symmetry, polish: excellent
fluorescence: none
clarity: VVS2
girdle: none
girdle thickness: thin to medium, faceted
total depth: 62.1%
table size percentage: 55%
crown height percentage: 15.7%
crown angle: 34.6
start length percentage: 50%
Pavillion depth percentage: 43.5%
Pavillion angle: 41.0
lower half length percentage: 80%
culet: none

Diamond B
carat: 3.16
measurements: 9.46-9.51x5.78 mm
color: H
cut, symmetry, polish: excellent
fluorescence: none
clarity: VVS2
girdle: none
girdle thickness: thin to medium, faceted
total depth: 60.9%
table size percentage: 57%
crown height percentage: 14.8%
crown angle: 34.0
start length percentage: 50%
Pavillion depth percentage: 42.9%
Pavillion angle: 40.7
lower half length percentage: 75%
culet: none

These are very different stones/rings with different personalities :D Which one would be prefer and why if I might ask your opinion?

P.S.
Diamond A = 1.8 HCA
Diamond B = 0.8 HCA

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Were you able to see these together IRL to compare? Do you have any clear, up close photos? Assuming the H doesn't show much tint, I think would go with diamond B but it's difficult to say based on numbers and nothing more.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you run the numbers through the HCA calculator (under 'tools')? If either scores above 2, we would likely recommend rejecting it. Anything that scores 2 or less should be considered. Based on the numbers alone, I am guessing that 1 will score above 2 and the second stone will score below 2. But of course I could be wrong.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ran through the HCA for both.

Stone A: Stone A.png

Stone B: Stone B.png

I was wrong above, both score under 2 which is great.

For me, I would go with stone B because the proportions are "Safer" and because it scores "Excellent" on more of the HCA categories vs. stone A.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Were you able to see these together IRL to compare? Do you have any clear, up close photos? Assuming the H doesn't show much tint, I think would go with diamond B but it's difficult to say based on numbers and nothing more.

Hi,

I was able to see them in IRL and I took some pictures and even a video, however, they all came out kind of blurry. My iPhone 11 Pro wasn't focusing on the stones or I just don't know how to take pictures of jewerly. I will post them here but I am not sure that they will be useful. What do they look like to you?

Even though I have read a lot on this forum about diamonds I simply do not have a large enough point of reference or experience to apply that in practice. I looked at them at the store for a long time, under the store lights and by the window...but I just don't know what I am seeing :)

Diamond A, color G, HCA Score 1.8, pictures taken by the window
G_IMG_2396.jpg G_IMG_2400.jpg

Diamond B, color H, HCA Score 0.8, pictures taken by the window
H_IMG_2382.jpg H_IMG_2383.jpg

Opinions? Advice?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I was able to see them in IRL and I took some pictures and even a video, however, they all came out kind of blurry. My iPhone 11 Pro wasn't focusing on the stones or I just don't know how to take pictures of jewerly. I will post them here but I am not sure that they will be useful. What do they look like to you?

Even though I have read a lot on this forum about diamonds I simply do not have a large enough point of reference or experience to apply that in practice. I looked at them at the store for a long time, under the store lights and by the window...but I just don't know what I am seeing :)

Diamond A, color G, HCA Score 1.8, pictures taken by the window
G_IMG_2396.jpg G_IMG_2400.jpg

Diamond B, color H, HCA Score 0.8, pictures taken by the window
H_IMG_2382.jpg H_IMG_2383.jpg

Opinions? Advice?

Diamond B, color H, HCA Score 0.8 still gets my vote.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your feedback guys!

Would you mind explaining why? Is your decision based only on the HCA Score? I'd love to learn for what to look when evaluating a diamond with a "naked" eye.

Tiffany's sales associate was super nice and even prepared a microscope for me to look at the stones but I found it difficult to focus and see anything clearly. I think one needs to train the eye first but I don't have that many opportunities to look at diamonds with a loupe in my everyday life :)

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
The arrows are only visible under certain light conditions. Normally, I have not seen them on the diamond. I only kind of looked for them because of what I've read here :) But they are not really visible "all the time".

Under certain light conditions, I can see the difference between "G" and "H" colors. Honestly, we could probably go higher but I do not get much more joy from "whiter" diamonds, so why bother? To me, the splashes of fire in a diamond is what makes this stone desirable. Just my personal preference. I'd love to hear other people's opinions though. One can always learn so much.

This is a really bad picture (like 99 percent of the ones I took :)) but it shows what I mean by the fire...

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say the G color. Lol.

At this point, you are splitting hairs and doing better than likely 98% of consumers. When you ask us why, it’s so many little things.

Yes, I prefer the fatter arrows of a 75% LGF, but I also prefer a smaller table and a higher color.

So given how close these are, in the end, I would go with the G over the H.

A vendor once told me most people choose an H when they see diamonds in person, and it’s a better value.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your feedback guys!

Would you mind explaining why? Is your decision based only on the HCA Score? I'd love to learn for what to look when evaluating a diamond with a "naked" eye.

Tiffany's sales associate was super nice and even prepared a microscope for me to look at the stones but I found it difficult to focus and see anything clearly. I think one needs to train the eye first but I don't have that many opportunities to look at diamonds with a loupe in my everyday life :)

Both diamonds have an HCA score of 2 or under and a lower HCA score is not "better", so my choice was not based on the scores. The area under the table looks better in Diamond B (generally bright except for the arrows). Diamond A has some additional dark areas. That's not to say Diamond A is a dud or that it is poorly cut since, but based purely on the specs and a couple pictures Diamond B looks better to me.

ETA: Re: color, if you were able to view them together and could see an obvious color difference and found it bothersome, Diamond A is probably the better choice for you.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
For some reason I could not post a picture of the fire generated by the stones. It was out of focus so maybe that's why. I took some videos but I don't know if I can post them or how.

Thanks for your feedback. The color does not bother me at all. We could have gone for D but it just does not matter for me so I kind of picked middle of the range. I saw one very yellowish I diamond and that bothered me. So decided to go one up and limit the choices to G and H. Other than that, I am not at all that color sensitive.

What is really important to me are the flashes of fire that you sometimes see with diamonds. I absolutely love those. So, I'd pay a premium for that. The price difference between G (more expensive) and H in the general scheme of things, is insignificant. I'd just like a fiery stone, which I can wear every day on walks with my dogs :) and wash about 50 times/day in these corona times :) Hah!

The things is, sometimes I like H stone better (I was drawn to it first) but when I look at G stone video I think that it is maybe more fiery? However, the HCA Score doesn't support that so maybe it is just my imagination. These stones are both quite pretty (to my entrained eyes). I find it hard to decide. Thanks for all your help and perspective!

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Ok, awful picture. no focus...yeah, I know. 99% of my pics looked that way. But I wanted to demonstrate the flashes of fire I really like. Never mind the size difference. It is just due to strange angles in photos while the diamonds were being moved by the window in the store. IRL you could see almost see no difference in size.

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 15.32.14.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on overall cut specs, I would choose the H - particularly if you are not color sensitive. Please keep us posted - a new diamond is always exciting!! Best of luck!

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
I would pick B, but as others have said there is no "bad" choice here.

By the way, based on your nickname might I maybe ask you what kind of dogs you have? Only asking because I definitely love dogs more than diamonds :D And they always have perfect proportions in my eyes ;-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, based on your nickname might I maybe ask you what kind of dogs you have? Only asking because I definitely love dogs more than diamonds :D And they always have perfect proportions in my eyes ;-)

Of course, and I too love dogs more than diamonds :) we have a Maltese, a cockapoo, and a labradoodle.

They finally got groomed after months of the groomer being closed due to COVID. Had to cut the labradoodle really short bc her hair had gotten crazy Haha. 20200518_072818.jpg

Here she is before getting groomed (and before her hair became an epic mess). Shes my giant puppy and I adore her. Of course love the other two a ton as well, but she's my goofy happy girl.

20200415_155159.jpg

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Since the H is the better value, and has more excellent, I’d say that is probably the better choice, so I’m changing my mind.

The price has absolutely zero weight in the decision. Like I've said, we could easily go for D, IF - I just do not see the difference at all. I guess, I could see it if the rings were side by side next to one another but that is not a common real life situation.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Of course, and I too love dogs more than diamonds :) we have a Maltese, a cockapoo, and a labradoodle.

They finally got groomed after months of the groomer being closed due to COVID. Had to cut the labradoodle really short bc her hair had gotten crazy Haha. 20200518_072818.jpg

Here she is before getting groomed (and before her hair became an epic mess). Shes my giant puppy and I adore her. Of course love the other two a ton as well, but she's my goofy happy girl.

20200415_155159.jpg

Oh my goodness! Too much sweetness for me! Ahh...I love them all. The labradoodle is beyond precious with her snazzy little haircut! :D Adorable! I wanna snuggle them all!!!

How are your little ones getting along with their bigger sister? Aren't you worried about injuries due to the size difference?

We've got two doggies but thinking about more :) They are pretty old though (13 and 14 years old) so we're not sure if it would be right by them to get a puppy.

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the H, because you said in real life that the H was what your eye was drawn to. Forget the videos or pictures, trust your eyes. You're going to be looking at it in person, not videos.

There are times I catch light or shade a certain way and my diamond looks AMAZING to me in person so 'll go to take a pic of it but i feel like the pictures never capture it (I also have the iphone 11 pro). I can set up an amazing picture with my pro, that looks better than it really does real life, but in a spontaneous moment I feel like my diamond doesnt look good in the pic!

I cant wait to see to see it on your hand!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Too much sweetness for me! Ahh...I love them all. The labradoodle is beyond precious with her snazzy little haircut! :D Adorable! I wanna snuggle them all!!!

How are your little ones getting along with their bigger sister? Aren't you worried about injuries due to the size difference?

We've got two doggies but thinking about more :) They are pretty old though (13 and 14 years old) so we're not sure if it would be right by them to get a puppy.

lol, well the little ones think their "bigger" baby sister is pretty annoying. When we first got the labradoodle she was 5lbs (at 2 months) and smaller than either of the other two. The maltese is 10lbs and the cockapoo is 12ish. But within a few months she was bigger than either of them, and now she's 57lbs of floppiness haha.

The maltese is almost 11 (GAH!), and the cockapoo is almost 6, so both much older than the 18 month old labradoodle. But overall they tolerate the puppy and she hasn't injured either one by accident yet :) She sometimes flops down almost on top of them, but they let her know (Angrily) that she needs to move and/or they move out from underneath her. And if she runs into them when playing they tell her to knock it off. But I'm still trying to make her understand that she can't boop them with her nose to "play", because her nose is freaking huge. Sadly she won't live long (sad story that isn't for this thread), so I"m enjoying every day with her silly personality.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
For some reason "B" looks more lively to me, but agree that there are no bad choices, they are gorgeous!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I love a small table and higher crown, as well as I am always about the color so I would pick the G.
I think it’s hard to discern color differences in the Tiff lighting, but you will see it IRL.
Sorry to confuse. I think it’s a win-win for you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you go into a dark corner, away and shielded from the store lights or any light. Compare the stones there. Vendors think I am crazy but I get under the counter.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Did you go into a dark corner, away and shielded from the store lights or any light. Compare the stones there. Vendors think I am crazy but I get under the counter.

Your suggestion reminded me that many years ago I was looking at some diamond solitaires at T & Co and was in a private viewing room with the sales associate. I went to do exactly what you said, to see what the ring looked like without all the fancy lights. I was admonished by the sales associate and told that I must keep the ring within view of the associate!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results