shape
carat
color
clarity

which of these settings is best for a 2.3 ct round brilliant?

stanley515

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone in advance for their input! I'm wondering which of these two settings would go best with a 2.3 ct round brilliant (dimensions approximately 8.5 x 8.5 x 5.2). They are both solitaire 14k white gold 6 prong settings. The price difference between them is negligible in the grand scheme so I was just hoping to choose the setting that is best for this diamond.

Ring size: 4.75

1) https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm
Width: 1.65 mm
Thickness: n/a
Center diamond size range: 0.4-2.99 ct

2) https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-582.htm
Width: 2.30 mm
Thickness: 1.60 mm
Center diamond size range: 0.4-4.99 ct

The thinner band is appealing to a novice like myself since I assume it'd make the diamond appear larger (which is something I am looking for). But are there any downsides to the 1.65 mm width for a 2.3 ct (is the band too small or would it feel flimsy or insecure?). Are there pros and cons for the 2.30 mm width? Will the 2.3 mm band still look quite thin and have a nice accentuating effect on the diamond? Thanks!!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Has your significant other pointed out some settings she likes?

stanley515

Rough_Rock

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal advice is to select them more substantial setting. You will have a nice sized diamond and you would want a setting that can support it.

I have had the classic 2.3mm solitaire setting that you are considering. It is much more delicate in person and it has a nice rounded edge, so it appear thinner from the top.

Here is a pic for you to view & it held a 1.5ct cushion, size 5.25.

32C03590-ED76-4D8F-BF47-A224786AB515.jpeg

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I vote the thicker/more substantial setting. For above reasons, and importantly 2.3ct is significant and needs to balance with the width I think. Also you may want to ask the WF "helper", but perhaps the thicker one would prevent the ring from swinging from the weight of the diamond. I could definitely be wrong but in my head the thicker band should provide more of an anchor to the finger so it doesn't swing as much.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Ritani was way too thin for me. It felt like it was from a gumball machine, no weight at all. I would be scared to have a larger diamond in it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stanley515

Rough_Rock
looks like the wider band is the way to go and we'll definitely be choosing that band thank you to everyone for their advice :razz: (and saving me from myself lol, i might have chosen the thinner band without your help).

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I hope you like it! One more step closer to being engaged!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results