shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these Princess do you like the most?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
Carat Color Clarity Depth Tbl Lab Gdl Cul Sym Pol Flr Measurements $/Crt Price Source

1.03 F VS2 73.9% 63% GIA tn-stk no gd ex n 5.54-5.51x4.07 $4369 $4350

1.02 E VS2 70.7% 65% GIA m-tk no gd vg n 5.67-5.64x3.99 $4418 $4506

1.06 E VS2 74.1% 67% GIA tk-vtk no vg vg n 5.46-5.45x4.04 $4270 $4526

On first inspection of the data I am just wondering what you guys in the know would have to say about each of these... would appreciate your comments so I can pick one to get IdealScoped and to get the Sarin report for.

They all seem to have their own pro's and con's to me
34.gif

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
...price is pretty similar so dont bring that into your decision too much. Thank you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
did you not find anything remotely close that was in-house?

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
no
7.gif

you dont like the look of any of them from those stats?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 12:46:10 PM
Author: hardsearch
no
7.gif

you dont like the look of any of them from those stats?
that''s the problem... i don''t know what any of them look like!
37.gif

like you said, they each have their own pros and cons. that being the case, i would rather find something already in-house than take a risk on a stone that could be a toss up.
if pressed, i think i would choose #2. that would be my gamble.
if your in-house search is limited, may i suggest going to ''g'' color and ''si'' clarity? with a good cut, e/f vs isn''t necessary.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
thanks v much for your advice... I will take a look at the in-house options!

I have requested the sarin reports for all three of those diamonds... my plan was to then, based on peoples comments on those... to pick one for WF to have brought in-house and checked with the IdealScope thing and so it could also be judge by them in person.

My problem is that I am from the UK so I am planning to have my brother bring it back with him from NY while he is there. He comes back on 19th of march -- so Im running our of time. Im not sure how long the whole process takes..... but getting a hold of the Sarins from the supplier sure seems to be taking longer than I had anticipated :)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooohhhh....okay, i see where you are coming from now.
well...definitely check the in house options. like i said, don''t limit yourself too much with the color and clarity.
have you talked to wf about what you want? it might be easier for them to chase something down by the numbers. let them know you are on a time contraint and see what they can do for you.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
Yeap im in email contact with katie at wf... she is trying to chase things for me and knows what im after.

Question about the in-house ones... what does the ''spread'' mean? they all seem to be negative percentages... what''s best?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 1:13:05 PM

Yeap im in email contact with katie at wf... she is trying to chase things for me and knows what im after.
okay...good
2.gif

Date: 3/9/2007 1:13:05 PM

Question about the in-house ones... what does the ''spread'' mean? they all seem to be negative percentages... what''s best?
spread is a relative calculation of proportion based on a tolkowsky round. i wouldn''t worry about using it in your search.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 1:02:42 PM

..... but getting a hold of the Sarins from the supplier sure seems to be taking longer than I had anticipated :)
It may be of interest to know that not all suppliers have Sarin equipment (we internet sellers have pesked & bothered some of them into getting it though).
1.gif

Hardsearch, I know the supplier for the 1.06 has this capability but may not be able to provide it until Monday. Katie should be getting the information we have been able to secure to you.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
Thanks belle, thanks John.

I am just concious of my time constraint and dont want to put all my eggs in a 1.06ct basket incase there is a problem with it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 1:41:36 PM
Thanks belle, thanks John.

I am just concious of my time constraint and dont want to put all my eggs in a 1.06ct basket incase there is a problem with it.
you''re welcome hardsearch.
the 1.06 was actually the one i was leaning toward by the numbers but the thk-vthk girdle made me second guess and choose #2 for its med. girdle!
37.gif
silly for sure. that''s why i don''t like just picking with limited information.

keep us posted on what you find!

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
ive just noticed that this Sarin that I was sent doesnt match the details in the link... so ive asked for the right one and for them to check that that is the correct IS too! not sure how to delete this attachment now.... so just ignore the below ;-/

860630_SARIN.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IS is for same stone, looks really good.

My bet is that the calibration on the Sarin machine is a little off. Doesn't matter, you don't really need it.

Everything is really similar. For ex: Sarin and GIA say it is a perfect square, depth is the same, only the table is a little off.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
I think your right... it does kinda match the details -- I guess I just expected it to be exactly the same.
So from the little I know about the IS it does look to be returning most of the light (only a few white patches).
Should the Good Sym/Polish be a concern? previously ive only looked at Vgood or Excellent.

And one more question... is there a page on pricescope somewhere which explains the ideal proportions for a Princess cut like this based on the details in the Sarin? I figure their must be... so would just like to compare these stats.... and the stats of the 1.06 when I see it, against them.

Thanks!

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
So here is the Sarin of the 1.06 which I was after.... it doesnt look all that good to me by all accounts... I would REALLY appreciate your thoughts please here experts! What do you think of it''s properties?

Attachments

• 1[1].06_E_VS2_Sarin.pdf
    6.4 KB · Views: 24

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
sorry - here it is as an image....

1.06Sarin.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
uhhhhhhh......
what's not to like?
definitely worth a further look

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
Hi belle - thanks for looking out for me - I really appreciate your help.

Well dont laugh but it says ''medium'' in a lot of places which doesnt sound all that ''nice'' ?!
Also, is the crown angle and height a bit on the high side?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 2:03:11 PM

Hi belle - thanks for looking out for me - I really appreciate your help.
no problem, i''m glad i can help!

Well dont laugh but it says ''medium'' in a lot of places which doesnt sound all that ''nice'' ?!
haha (<------ i''m not laughing!) i don''t know how much stock i would put into the ''descriptors'' since they could be based on anything. i was just looking at the numbers and the numbers seem like they have some real potential.

Also, is the crown angle and height a bit on the high side?
as compared to what? it may be on the high side but it may work well with the other angles. i wouldn''t consider it detriimental.

again, it really seems to have potential. if you are still leaning towards having a diamond brought in for further evaluation, i think this is a good candidate.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
thanks again for the input so far... so ive decided to have it brought in for the WF tests - my fingers are SO tightly crossed it all comes out as good!

I also had the following emailed to me from Katie at WF after John Pollard saw my post above... Thanks John for the info!

"Please explain this old Sarin format to him. The “VG” and “Ms” on the far right are old software options, once used to apply different cut class standards to fancy shapes. They’re obsolete and no longer in use. This is the problem with asking suppliers to run Sarin scans; there is no telling how accurately the scanner has been calibrated, what version of the software is in use or what settings they are running. The good news is that we’re extremely lucky this supplier has a Sarin. Even better news is that even allowing tolerance for scan error this is a promising stone. That’s the most we can hope to determine from afar - and it has been determined.

In the long run we cannot rely on parametric data for fancy shapes. Much more decisive light performance data can be determined with an ideal-scope and ASET photo (which we must do in-house). The AGS ‘Ideal’ grade for a princess is a great indicator as well, but comes at a premium. The bottom line is that the only meaningful way to judge a fancy shape is to see it. Nothing our suppliers regularly provide can do more than give an indication. In this case it’s a good one.

Please pass this on. I may clarify it on the forum as well."

So as soon as I get the results today ill be sure to post the findings up here for your feedback... so keep an eye out!

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results