shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these AV cushions would you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katushka

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''ve been on a rushed search for an AV cushion under 17K for a few weeks. Original thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-prepare-for-2nd-gog-av-cushion-trip.134352/ .

My boyfriend and I bought this 1.57 F stone on Saturday: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6285 . I liked it and am excited to see it in its temp setting but I want to make sure I understand everything about it within the return period.

We didn''t look at the stone under spotlighting or compare ASETS, basing our decision solely on face-up size and color. I guess it was too much to think about at once, especially in the store. I did comment on a slightly dark lateral "thing" I saw in it, possibly because it was less symmetrical than the other AVCs we''d seen. You can see it in the photo online, a sort of darkening of the left and right arms of the cross...

What do you guys think of this stone?

Would you have chosen this 1.63 G instead, based on its specs, symmetry and ASET/DiamX, even though it faced up smaller and was a G instead of an F?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6703/

Would it help if I attached images of the ASETs to this topic?

Thanks so much for all your help, which has been invaluable in this process!
Kat

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kat

I think both are beautiful and you can''t really make a wrong decision in picking either. But if you are unsure is there any way you could compare both in person?

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
Hi Katushka,

Looks like a couple of great prospects; congrats!

I second the recommendation to compare the two in person. If you can''t, Good Old Gold might be able to put together a comparison video of the two. I seem to hassle them a lot and they still pick up my calls & answer my emails :)

Specifications aside, have you thought about which shape (more rectangular vs. square) suits your intended setting better? And by "better" I mean to your taste.

Cheers,

MMIC

katushka

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei!

The funny thing is I did look at them side by side—probably for about 15 minutes! I just held them against my hand and focused on color and face-up size and kind of ignored everything else. There were things I liked about the G but disregarded due to the slightly larger size and whiter color of the F... so I''m kind of going back and trying to understand their differences more thoroughly, if that makes sense :)

(I still plan to wear and "get to know" the F since it''s being set as we speak.)

This stuff is hard to do on a time crunch!

Kat

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
They are both beautiful diamonds. The first does seem to show a bit of a bow-tie in the photos, and that also sounds like what you are describing. Any elongated shape will have a bow tie to some extent, it is just a matter of how much it bothers you. A more square cushion will most likely not have this effect. The bow tie effect will differ in how visible based on viewing distance and lighting.

katushka

Rough_Rock
Hi Match!

I really like the look of both the square and more rectangular cushions in terms of their outlines, since I''ve seen both set (in photos) and love them. But maybe what I wasn''t taking into account was the asymmetry of the actual cross/culet...maybe that''s what I am unsure about.

Since my boyfriend is having the F sent to him in a setting, I think I am going to wait and see it in person before I bother GOG too much :)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 10:56:55 AM
Author:katushka
Hi Everyone,

I've been on a rushed search for an AV cushion under 17K for a few weeks. Original thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-prepare-for-2nd-gog-av-cushion-trip.134352/ .

My boyfriend and I bought this 1.57 F stone on Saturday: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6285 . I liked it and am excited to see it in its temp setting but I want to make sure I understand everything about it within the return period.

We didn't look at the stone under spotlighting or compare ASETS, basing our decision solely on face-up size and color. I guess it was too much to think about at once, especially in the store. I did comment on a slightly dark lateral 'thing' I saw in it, possibly because it was less symmetrical than the other AVCs we'd seen. You can see it in the photo online, a sort of darkening of the left and right arms of the cross...

What do you guys think of this stone?

Would you have chosen this 1.63 G instead, based on its specs, symmetry and ASET/DiamX, even though it faced up smaller and was a G instead of an F?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6703/

Would it help if I attached images of the ASETs to this topic?

Thanks so much for all your help, which has been invaluable in this process!
Kat
Kat,

I can see all the information on GOGs website including the ASETs so no need to post them.

The first one has a depth of 63.47% while the other 68.25%. They both have a width of 6.80mm but the F has a length of 7.22 mm while the other is 6.80mm.

i) The F will be larger faceup as you have seen by 0.42mm which is significant.
ii) The F will be slightly rectangular in outline while the G is almost a perfect square
iii) The F shows some obstruction across the lenth of the stone (the longer side) both under the table near the culet and across the crown.

Personally I like the perfectly square stones better and the optics of the G are much better as it should be a lot brighter with much less obstruction.

It is not the LW ratio that is causing the obstruction(darkness), there are plenty of AVC with more rectnagular proportions that don't exhibit obstruction, but for this line these stones in general need to have a slighly longer (65% depth +) and more shallow pavillion so I would expect that this is the reason why you see a little more obstruction in the F colored stone.

Keep in mind though that the darkness is minimal and the F is still a nice stone with greater spread (bigger faceup size) but I would choose the one with the better cut which is the G. You are paying a premium for the best cut 8 main antique cushion I would get the best cut possible.

CCL

katushka

Rough_Rock
Thank you CCL and Jet,

You''ve helped me put into words what I saw but didn''t understand. I will talk it over with my boyfriend...I just wish I''d been more educated two weeks ago!

Will keep you posted.
Kat

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I must say that I absolutely LOVE that G.

The shape is amazing and that is what I would have wanted for my AV - it is the same shape as my modern cushion.

katushka

Rough_Rock
Update: Without my asking Jonathan made me this wonderful video of the 1.57 F. Finally seeing the stone set has given me confidence.

Maybe the optics aren''t 100% but the truth is I can''t tell at all and I love it, including the ratio. And the temp setting turned out beautifully I think!

http://www.vimeo.com/9027924

Will post pics as soon as I get to see it in person—thanks for all your wisdom/support.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 4:48:32 PM
Author: katushka
Update: Without my asking Jonathan made me this wonderful video of the 1.57 F. Finally seeing the stone set has given me confidence.

Maybe the optics aren''t 100% but the truth is I can''t tell at all and I love it, including the ratio. And the temp setting turned out beautifully I think!

http://www.vimeo.com/9027924

Will post pics as soon as I get to see it in person—thanks for all your wisdom/support.
You can''t go wrong with this stone, the video confirms it and I agree the setting is quite nice as well. Unless you plan on scrutinizing every little detail and comparing it to other AVCs, dont'' second guess yourself and go with it is quite beautiful and very rare in the world of cushions.

katushka

Rough_Rock
Means a lot coming from you CCL :)

The power of a video...

Collee

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the video. Time to relax and enjoy.
36.gif

katushka

Rough_Rock
You are so right Collee. I am taking a step back from AVC deliberating! Going on vacation Saturday and may have photos of the ring to post next week.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That video is awesome. You will love it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to see pics! Try not to overthink, it''s normal to have a bit of buyer''s remorse after such a huge purchase.
2.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Bumping for an update and pics. Anything to share?

katushka

Rough_Rock
Hi Collee,

I tried to take pictures with a few different cameras and none of them look like the ring, but I''ll post a few anyway and try more later.

The stone is beautiful. Very, very lively/fiery, especially in indoor settings with high overhead lights...much more than any other ring I''ve seen in my office. (People keep comparing them—I don''t initiate it!) I went into a JCrew store and the flashing was insane and there are times in the car where the roof is decorated with tiny rainbows.

The color is very white, and I have no regrets about not getting the G. I really prefer the iciness and in future would actually be willing to pay a premium for an E.

I can see some inclusions through the loupe but barely know what is what. In person, the SI1 clarity hasn''t caused any problems.

I love the faceting and I would prefer a bit more size to show it off. I don''t think the chunky facets are apparent to most who see it unless they hold it very close. I don''t have a single photo thats shows it well and it''s my favorite aspect of the ring :(

The setting has received a lot of compliments even though I consider it temporary. It''s extremely high set, and I hope for something lower with more sculpted prongs down the line.

My only problem with the stone is that in many outdoor lighting conditions I see a strong lateral band of darkness. I''m not really surprised by it since it was visible in the GOG web photo—though not in the video—and I''m still working out how much it bothers me. I noticed it very slightly in person at GOG but it definitely wasn''t as pronounced. I can''t tell if other people notice it or not. I''m not sure if it is a "bowtie" or "obstruction" or what. When I am indoors I forget about it, but it does bother me outside.

I''ve gotten attached to my stone but if there were something under 18K without that issue, at F color of higher, I would consider it. I''m still checking the site for such a stone every few days but have yet to formally go on the waiting list with Jonathan since I do love my ring. Time will tell...

Thank you all so much for your help—will post more true-to-life photos asap.

Kat

driftwood.jpg

katushka

Rough_Rock
It''s a bit longer than it looks here..

closer.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update! Your ring looks gorgeous in the photo, I would love to see more.

Have you talked to Jon about the "bowtie"? I have noticed it in AVCs. I wonder if it is a feature of the cut? A contrast pattern?

katushka

Rough_Rock
Cute lizard was attracted to it.

4345333312_433a75a7a8.jpg

katushka

Rough_Rock
The band of darkness. It''s not always this apparent

band of darkness.png

katushka

Rough_Rock
Hi Dreamer!

I haven''t talked to Jonathan about it, but he may know since I almost switched to the G last-minute. I am pretty sure that the other AVCs I looked at did not have the bowtie effect, including the H and the G. Ultimately, of the stock they had I know we chose the right one since color and extra size are more important to me.

I guess the question is whether to pursue a stone that has every single aspect I want. I am delaying resetting till I can answer that....

One thing that''s been amazing is all the compliments. The combo of whiteness and sparkle seems to impress people, even here in NYC where three-carat stones are everywhere.

I have a friend with a digital slr and macro lens and I hope she can capture the "crispness" and brightness I see.

I''ve been away from PS for a few weeks, largely to prevent obsessiveness. Has anyone you know offhand posted new AVCs? Thanks in advance :)

Take care,
Kat

katushka

Rough_Rock
cactus shot

IMG_6651 small.jpg

katushka

Rough_Rock
high setting

high setting.png

katushka

Rough_Rock
on my middle finger since it needs to be sized

in sun.jpg

katushka

Rough_Rock
probably my favorite

middle finger.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
it''s lovely!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Your ring and diamond looks absolutely amazing on you. My diamond has a bow tie look in the GOG web photo but I have not noticed it in real life.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! May I ask what setting that is? It''s lovely and dainty - I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results