shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these asschers would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misspix

Rough_Rock
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00178482&filter_id=0

or

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00114511

The first has better color and cut, but the second is still a Very Good cut and has much better clarity. Is Ideal cut always the most important factor? Also, the second has medium blue fluorescence, which I know is generally a bad thing, but I''ve heard that some fluorescence can make an H color stone look whiter.

There are just so many guidelines and then exceptions to the guidelines that I can''t keep it all straight. I appreciate any help.

I know others have recommended Good Old Gold and Engagement Rings Direct over Blue Nile, and I have definitely been looking at their inventory too, but I am still looking all around at this point.

I appreciate any advice that you guys can give me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is only one single inclsion in the SI1 and, it is under the table.

That may bother you since asschers don''t hide inclusions as well as cuts like rounds and princesses.

Does Bluenile offer pics of the actual stone?

Apparently actual pics are very important to asscher selection.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi MissPix. The questions in my mind would be:

1. How noticeable is the inclusion under the table on #1?
2. What''s the effect of the large table (especially compared to the depth) on #2?

I''m not sure you''ll get an answer from BN, but it''s worth a shot.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
neither

first one the odds are very against it being eyeclean.
second the table is too big.

misspix

Rough_Rock
BlueNile has only "sample" photos. I don''t really know what they are supposed to show other than the shape of an Asscher cut.

Is it possible to get a really pretty Asscher that is at least 1.25 carats and under $9000? Also, is it true that some fluorescence can improve the color of an H stone?

Thanks!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi MissPix.

Storm, correct me if I am wrong, but you may find a few with promise by doing a PS search under the following conditions:

Shape: Asscher
Color: D-H
Clarity: IF-VS2
Table: 54-62
Depth: 65-72

Kenny's gorgeous Asscher, albeit wounded, has roughly a 67.3% Depth and a 61.4% Table.

I am not an expert, but if I ran the above search for "in-house" diamonds this one came up from Dimend Scaasi:

1.26 G VS2 66.5% Depth, 60% Table 1.01 L/W $8293

A bunch came up for a search for All diamonds, including these two from James Allen:

1.26 G VS1 67.4% Depth, 59% Table, 1.01 L/W $7840
1.26 G VS1 68.4% Depth, 60% Table, 1.01 L/W $7840

There are ones that came up $8K - $9K, also - there seem to be a few, but with multiple vendors listing them. These are the virtual diamonds and if you can get a vendor to look at them before buying, you may increase your chances of finding one you love.

Maybe Storm will give you his opinion on these - I am nowhere close to an expert.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
starryeyed
You get a gold star.
I usualy use:
Shape: Asscher
Color: D-H
Clarity: IF-VS2
Table: 54-63
Depth: 60-72

Thats a good start, some vendors also have access to diamonds that arent on the list.
The best bet really is to pick a vendor that knows asschers and set them to work.
You wont always get the very best price that way but they earn the money because they do more than just send an email telling the supplier where to ship the diamond.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Storm!

Why do you go as low as 60% on the Depth? What if you have a 63% Table with a 60% Depth - is that ok? Or is there a rule of thumb that the Table % should be less that the Depth %?

misspix

Rough_Rock
Thanks, starryeyed!

I am in love with the first one from James Allen. Based on specs alone, would you rank it higher than this stone?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00288341&filter_id=0

1.22 G VS2 Signature Ideal; Table: 61%; Depth: 64.1%; 1.00 L/W; $8801

Is the Signature Ideal cut and additional .04 carat from Blue Nile worth $500 more than the Ideal cut from James Allen?

I am thinking of buying both to compare, but might not bother if one is the hands-down winner.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2006 2:05:31 PM
Author: starryeyed
Thanks Storm!

Why do you go as low as 60% on the Depth? What if you have a 63% Table with a 60% Depth - is that ok? Or is there a rule of thumb that the Table % should be less that the Depth %?
that would be fine.
So people go by that rule of thumb but iv designed asscher models with 50% depth and 60% crowns that rock.
They will never be cut because of lack of rough to cut them from but it disproves that rule.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2006 4:39:16 PM
Author: misspix
Thanks, starryeyed!

I am in love with the first one from James Allen. Based on specs alone, would you rank it higher than this stone?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00288341&filter_id=0

1.22 G VS2 Signature Ideal; Table: 61%; Depth: 64.1%; 1.00 L/W; $8801

Is the Signature Ideal cut and additional .04 carat from Blue Nile worth $500 more than the Ideal cut from James Allen?

I am thinking of buying both to compare, but might not bother if one is the hands-down winner.
Get pictures if you want but im willing to bet its a dog.
Shallowish asschers with larger culets is an indication of a very very fat pavilion from a certain cutter.
Every one of them that iv seen called in has turned out to be a woofer.
The pics on the gemcal cert are not good pictures but they dont look promising which makes me think im right on it.
Looks at the pic labeled actual size picture the stone is almost totaly dead in the center.

You cant buy an asscher online without good pictures and expect to get a good one.
So wherever you decide to buy make sure and have it called in for pictures.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to clarify my answer a little before Garry jumps on me :}
There are some kicken older asschers that arent deep with large culets floating around, they are however rare and most of the ones on the market will be from this cuter that cuts them with very fat pavilions to keep weight and they are woofers.
From the photos on the gemcal cert im almost certain that this is one of them and not one of the older cuts.

misspix

Rough_Rock
I thought a Signature Ideal cut indicated that it would be really brilliant. What does that mean if you can get a Signature Ideal with a big dead spot in the center?

I will definitely get pictures before I buy anything and won''t buy online without a good return policy, but I am still trying to learn how to interpret the specs.

BTW, strmrdr, what do you think of the first one from James Allen?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suspect that BN like a lot of large vendors just uses the numbers to select them and no one actualy looks at them much if at all.

Both the JA stones look like they are worth getting pictures of from the limited amount of info the numbers provide.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/12/2006 7:20:14 PM
Author: strmrdr
I suspect that BN like a lot of large vendors just uses the numbers to select them and no one actualy looks at them much if at all.

Both the JA stones look like they are worth getting pictures of from the limited amount of info the numbers provide.
agreed

misspix

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 5:20:32 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

agreed
Ohhhh. I didn''t realize that no one actually evaluated the cut by looking at it. I have so much to learn.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 10:08:32 AM
Author: misspix

Date: 12/13/2006 5:20:32 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

agreed
Ohhhh. I didn''t realize that no one actually evaluated the cut by looking at it. I have so much to learn.
It depends on the vendor for example: GOG WF WinkJones Niceice diamondexpert ERG and others the in house diamonds will have been gone over by someone in person pretty much guaranteed.
Where with some other vendors specialy the larger ones they arent as likely to be.
With asschers how much skill the person has in selecting them is a question in itself.
With good pics at the min. and ASET images (if available) we can do a good job of helping weed them out once it gets to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results