• 2.53 ct O VS1

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I have progressed in my looong search for the OEC that's just right for me (I feel like Goldilocks, always searching for the right one..). I posted before, and had some very helpful advice from several PSers.. :wavey: :wavey: thank you! thank you!

I think I am almost ready to make a decision. I'm torn between two OEC diamonds, for different reasons, and would be curious to see which you would choose.. They are two very different stones but I find both equally beautiful. Both are AGS graded.

Contender #1. 1.72 K, VS1, 7.45 x 7.61 x 4.80. 47.9% table, 63.9% depth.
Contender #2. 2.53 O, VS1, 8.53 x 8.33 x 5.47. 51.9% table, 64.8% depth.

Basically, I think I would be thrilled with either stone, but not sure which would be the better/wiser pick given the below considerations:

1. I am in my early 30s, I want this stone to last a good long time, and am concerned about DSS. I do live in an area where 1+ ct stones are not common, though, so 2ct+ would be quite large. (sub-carats or no ering, only bands, are more common). Actually, I think my 0.7ct AVR is quite large, though I have only worn it for a week, so DSS has not yet set in...
2. The 1.72 K is just under $10k, the 2.53 O is just over $12k. No upgrade policy on the 2.53 ct, but there is a limited upgrade policy on the 1.72 K. I don't intend to upgrade though, so this is not as important to me.
3. I would set it in a platinum solitaire for now, though may halo it somewhere down the road... (maybe).
4. I am OK with warm stones, since I started out in the CS forum (my ering is a sapphire). But I wonder about setting an O in platinum...
5. No ASETs available, but both are from vendors commonly used here and the faceting on both stones checks the box for me. (Also, I don't feel comfortable posting the vendor links or pics here since I don't have either stone on hold yet)

Argh.... I am sooo undecided, I would buy both if I had the budget... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: would appreciate other folks' sharing their advice / experience ...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the O in person? I'm asking because there is a big size difference between the two stones but there is a big colour difference between them as well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all other things being equal (that is since we don't see the facet pattern etc of the stone and are just going by what you are telling us) I would choose the K.

1. I know you say you are not going to upgrade but it is nice to have that option because as you know we ladies can and should have the prerogative to change our minds if the mood strikes. Never say never.

2. K is the perfect color for an antique diamond IMO and an O set in platinum (or any metal) will look more yellow and not being able to see it in person I would caution you buying an O.

My opinion only but remember the upgrade option is something you may be grateful for later on down the road. Good luck with your decision.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the input, arkieb and missy. I think you guys confirmed/brought up many of my concerns. Also, I'm outside the US so it's not easy to see the stones in person and I live somewhere where it is difficult to see any stones warmer than H in B&M stores. I did see some warmer AVRs when I visited GOG in May (but ended up with a G).

FWIW, the vendor of the 2.53 O was shocked that it came back as an O because supposedly it faces up much whiter (but it's difficult to quantify what "much whiter" actually is).

My thought re: upgrading is that if I do upgrade, I would probably upgrade my AVR. But missy, you're right, "never say never". :)
I am torn because the thing is, my wedding band is platinum, but my ering is YG. All my other jewelry is rose or yellow gold. My G AVR is currently in rose gold, so if I buy the O, I might set it in rose gold, and reset my AVR in platinum, so that I have at least one platinum solitaire to match my wedding band. (Sorry if my train of thought sounds convoluted..)

After some thought, I decided to post 2 pics. Hopefully this won't give too much away .. would hate for them to be snatched up before I had decided. Anyway ----

3_142.jpg untitled_26.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're ok with the colour, I'd go big.

Lila_grace

Rough_Rock
I was eyeing that O colored stone! I think it gorg! I kept trying to talk myself into blowing my budget on that stone and saving up at a later date for the setting I want but decided to go with a less expensive M. There is no way I could wait and not be able to wear my stone....after watching a bunch of you tube videos on lower colored stones I fell in love with that color range. I think it's just one of those things either you love it or hate it. So if it was me the O for sure :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Virginia! That's so helpful.. don't know why I didn't think of trying to find warm stones that had already been set, for comparison purposes.. :tongue:

telephone89, yep, I know, the larger spread is definitely tempting.

Unrelated question.

Back in August, I was looking at this other 1.72 AGS K from a different vendor of this 1.72 AGS K, but it was a VS2, not a VS1. The mm measurements are both exactly the same, the table % is exactly the same, but there is a very slight difference in the depth (0.2%). the original link from August is no longer up, so I can't compare the AGS certs. I was stalking it for several months, but then it was taken off the site (don't know if sold or just removed from inventory).

This AGS VS1 was removed from a setting, whereas the VS2 from August seemed to be already loose. So since one is VS1 and the other is VS2 they don't seem to be the same stone, but in the photos, they look very very alike.. maybe I'm going crazy?

Here is a photo of the other stone from the August thread:
4_5_2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results