shape
carat
color
clarity

Which OEC looks better?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here. Pricescope has taught me so much about antique diamonds, vendors and what to look for in an ideal antique cut! I'm currently trying to narrow my choices down to two diamonds and I was hoping experts here could help me choose.

The first one is an OEC M VS1 2.24

The second one is an OEC M VS1 2.07

It's hard for me to tell which one is better! I did see the first one in the store and it's gorgeous but I love the second one as well.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the first one, the 2.24ct M-VS1 - I like the facet pattern and the edge to edge performance

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Do they both come with GIA reports? I prefer the 2.24's pattern. The second one's under-table facets seem to turn on/off two at a time and it bothers me. 2 on-2 off, not on-off-on-off.

lynahs1295

Shiny_Rock
i also prefer the 2.24 more...very pretty stone!

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Do they both come with GIA reports? I prefer the 2.24's pattern. The second one's under-table facets seem to turn on/off two at a time and it bothers me. 2 on-2 off, not on-off-on-off.

Yes they do! Although I'll have to request the 2.24. Can you explain what you mean by the 2 on 2 off pattern? Curious what people see that I might not pick up on.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Yes they do! Although I'll have to request the 2.24. Can you explain what you mean by the 2 on 2 off pattern? Curious what people see that I might not pick up on.

The petals under the table, instead of them turn on and off every other petal, the two next to each other tend to turn on at the same time while the two next to it turns off. If you have dark hair it can reflect and look darker since it's two pieces side by side that turn "off" at the same time.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
The petals under the table, instead of them turn on and off every other petal, the two next to each other tend to turn on at the same time while the two next to it turns off. If you have dark hair it can reflect and look darker since it's two pieces side by side that turn "off" at the same time.

Wow this is why I came to this site, I never would've picked up on that even though I feel like I've looked at so many OECs and OMCs now! Do you think it's possible that this has to do with the way the diamond is displayed (i.e. on the tweezers vs. the other one being on the setting)?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm not saying the full petal has to turn on and off, but my personal preference is that most of one petal turns on while the ones next to it don't, to create more contrast. Facets blobbing together is cut related and i've noticed it more when lower halves are shorter. I'm not one to push for perfect symmetry in old cuts because i've noticed that stones that are just slightly not symmetrical but still within the right proportions tend to be the most lively.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I'm not saying the full petal has to turn on and off, but my personal preference is that most of one petal turns on while the ones next to it don't, to create more contrast. Facets blobbing together is cut related and i've noticed it more when lower halves are shorter. I'm not one to push for perfect symmetry in old cuts because i've noticed that stones that are just slightly not symmetrical but still within the right proportions tend to be the most lively.

This is super helpful information!! Now that I look at it more closely I see it too. Thank you!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the look of the one in tweezers. The patterning and contrast is better/ crisper/ goes on and off more than the one in the gold ring.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the look of the one in tweezers. The patterning and contrast is better/ crisper/ goes on and off more than the one in the gold ring.

I agree. It has more personality... at least in the videos.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it’s a lot to ask of multiple vendors
But judging two stones shot from two very different lighting and perspective is not fair.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
But judging two stones shot from two very different lighting and perspective is not fair.

Completely agree with you T_T. I saw the first one (in gold) in person but I didn't see the second one (in tweezers) in person, so I'm agonizing a bit. They also have the same specs so I'm trying to judge by looks alone which is hard.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here. Pricescope has taught me so much about antique diamonds, vendors and what to look for in an ideal antique cut! I'm currently trying to narrow my choices down to two diamonds and I was hoping experts here could help me choose.

The first one is an OEC M VS1 2.24

The second one is an OEC M VS1 2.07

It's hard for me to tell which one is better! I did see the first one in the store and it's gorgeous but I love the second one as well.

Edit: I just added another video of the 2.07 (on a ring)

Moonie

Shiny_Rock

I added another video on a ring of the second diamond (in tweezers) if that helps. Still not ideal but hopefully is a little more helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results