shape
carat
color
clarity

which Montana?

kallard

Rough_Rock
I have been posting about this in another thread ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/multicolor-com-gems.215702/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/multicolor-com-gems.215702/[/URL]), but I think i have narrowed down to these for an engagement/anniversary ring. All are about 7mm-8mm, Montana sapphires. They are all slightly different colors. Originally I was looking for something that is somewhere between green or blue, and neither too dark or too light. But I do like all 4 of these - and there are three different shapes and none of them the original shapes I was looking for (oval or heart) - but that was the least of my criteria, so not a big deal on that note.

Emerald cut teal, which has been in the running all along:
blaze1145_0.png
ecshade1.png
ecshade.png
ecinsidelight.png
ecdirectlight.png

Asscher 1 (not the original one I posted in other thread):
asscher1shade.png
asscher1insidelight.png
asscher1indirectlight.png
asscher1dirlight.png

Asscher 2 (also not the original one from other post):
asscher2treeshade.png
asscher2shade.png asscher2inslight.png
asscher2indirectlight.png
asscher2dirlight.png

Round :
roundmontana.png
roundmontana2.png

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard, I am concerned -- especially because of your last comment on the other thread
kallard|1442083083|3926929 said:
Blaze sent me more photos!! I think I have to find something from him at this point...he has done so much work for me!
-- that none of these rings your chimes, and you are settling for one of them lest Blaze be disappointed.

I worked in retail while in high school and college, so I am not indifferent to those whose livelihood depends on making sales, which are inevitably fewer than the number of "pitches" one makes. But I don't think you should compromise, other than what your budget realistically requires.

Before choosing one of the stones above, how about asking Jerry about cutting a stone for you from a piece of Blaze's rough that he (Jerry) would select in line, to the extent possible, with your desires re color, shape, cut? The two of them have worked together before; you know Jerry's cutting would be terrific; and he has the expertise to assess the rough. Even if Jerry asks you to pay a bit extra for his rough selection service, it could be worth it to you to end up with a stone that makes your heart sing -- and you will still be sending some money Blaze's way.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Well, in that line I was kind of joking. Jerry is supposed to be asking about a couple gems he doesn't have but knows about. I could also ask him about cutting from a rough.

I do like any of these. I keep getting drawn back to the emerald cut, but I also like the others as well.

I think my indecision is over whether I really want a more green vs more blue color because I like both.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you order the emerald just to see? Maybe two? I think if the emerald cut is in your head, unless you see it, you'll always wonder.

If you aren't in the US though, I understand not doing that

kallard

Rough_Rock
I can't afford to order both at the moment. I was leaning toward that one until I discovered the round one, which is slightly more blue. But I have posted several gems before and had people, who know more about this, point out things I wouldn't readily notice.

I have not ruled out JuliaB on Etsy either. She has some purples, blues, and a few others I like with just a little tweaking to the setting. Besides, I like that she also puts videos on YouTube. I just felt I should explore looking for my own.

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
That emerald certainly has a regal presence ... The cut is decidedly unique, and something I haven't seen too often in Montanas. The other sapphires just don't seem as special IMHO (since you asked).

as to the blue/green issue ... the nature of Montanas is that they color-shift, yes? In real life, it may be blue in certain lights, green in others.

You could also consider the idea of haloing or otherwise accenting the sapphire with blue stones.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is what I had in mind with the blue diamond accents.

Having gone back to JuliaB's YouTube videos, I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh1PUK7C9qQ

They are not in her Etsy shop, so hadn't seen them before. They are a tad darker than I originally was looking for, but I really like them anyway. Also, the blue accents make the stone appear bigger than it is, so I like that too. The only thing I don't like about the ring is the band is more narrow than I wanted. If I bought a wedding band to go with it (or even two!), then I think that would solve that. It is possible that I have already seen some of Blaze's that are this color, but because of photography, I am not recognizing it.

JuliaB also has purple and Ceylon sapphires that I like as well, but that is going a whole different direction. There is a really nice asscher cut blue one, though I think I prefer an oval or rectangle shape above square. My husband's favorite is actually the purple - even above the emerald cut sapphire!

I am glad that you told me your opinion of the others. It really helps.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1442232851|3927515 said:
Yes, that is what I had in mind with the blue diamond accents.

Having gone back to JuliaB's YouTube videos, I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh1PUK7C9qQ

They are not in her Etsy shop, so hadn't seen them before. They are a tad darker than I originally was looking for, but I really like them anyway. Also, the blue accents make the stone appear bigger than it is, so I like that too. The only thing I don't like about the ring is the band is more narrow than I wanted. If I bought a wedding band to go with it (or even two!), then I think that would solve that. It is possible that I have already seen some of Blaze's that are this color, but because of photography, I am not recognizing it.

JuliaB also has purple and Ceylon sapphires that I like as well, but that is going a whole different direction. There is a really nice asscher cut blue one, though I think I prefer an oval or rectangle shape above square. My husband's favorite is actually the purple - even above the emerald cut sapphire!

I am glad that you told me your opinion of the others. It really helps.

Ohh I like the JuliaB youtube ones also. They are a bit dark, but I like the blue accents. I know Julia can do some customization, so I think that if you wanted a wider band that shouldn't be an issue for her. I like her purple sapphires as well, but I know that would be a departure from what you've been looking at.

I like the emerald cut from Blaze the more I look at it, it has been growing on me :) I have always liked the square ascher cut one as well, but the emerald is pretty special and unique :)

EDIT: Not to confuse you further, but another vendor I've worked with a bit on Etsy is Dan Sexton (Q-gems). I haven't ordered from him, but I've inquired about some of his stones and he seems very responsive and has good feedback. Of course that's just my experience, but his gems do seem to be high quality and he always gives honest and helpful answers. Here are 2 sapphires he has that might be of interest, but if not feel free to ignore them!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205640319/cornflower-blue-sapphire-165-ct-natural?ref=shop_home_active_6
https://www.etsy.com/listing/245381151/sapphire-150-cts-dark-blue-color-from?ref=shop_home_feat_4

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Of the ones you posted, I like the emerald cut the best for it's color and presence, but I'm not sure how I'd like the cut in person. I would consider ordering that one just to see it in hand and get a feel for it. If IRL you feel like you don't like it as much, then you can send it back :)

I like the idea of having Jerry cut something from Blaze's stock of rough, you'll get something very nice that way (though it's a little less predictable that getting an already cut stone).

And for more confusion, though I don't know what she has now, mountain momma gems on etsy has a whole bunch of montanas, it might be worth checking her out too (that's where I got my stone, after looking at a bunch of blaze's and not quite getting the pitter patters). I will say her photos showed a tiny window for my stone, but when I got it, it became clear that it was a tilt window, and it's very well cut.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1442181963|3927325 said:
Can you order the emerald just to see? Maybe two? I think if the emerald cut is in your head, unless you see it, you'll always wonder.
If you aren't in the US though, I understand not doing that
Yes, since it's sending out a siren song to you, give yourself the opportunity to view it first hand :))

I fear the stones in the Julia B rings are too dark for a 24/7 ring you'll want to find pleasing in lighting situations other than just the limited one where it looks best.

Is the violet spinel on LoupeTroop out of the running?

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, kallard. Going to be totally honest (and this is from someone who has worked with Blaze and Jerry on the custom route before...and has another one planned): none of these are truly doing anything for me. I don't mean any offense at all. The thing that bugs me the most is that all of these seem to go completely gray or darn near colorless at times. Mine doesn't do that at all. I know this isn't for the faint of heart, but I'd consider going the custom route. Get with Jerry and Blaze, and find a piece of rough that you love and Jerry approves of. I find the piece below a lot more attractive color-wise, and it appears more saturated. Take my thoughts for what you will. Again, I don't mean to come across as rude or hurtful - just trying to be honest and helpful.

ETA: The piece below is blue to blue/green, VVS, 4.85cts, 9 X 8 X 6mm, and costs $350.

sam_8084.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think the sapphires in Julia's video are Super dark. If that's how they look when they are blasted with light, imagine how dark they'll be in low light (inside, in the evening)!

Blaze sent you pics in various lights which is extremely helpful and informative. Even if you don't go with Blaze, make sure other vendors offer you this so you know what you're getting. The thing about colored stones (and pearls BTW) is that lighting can effect their look Tremendously. I have noticed that the EC looks good in the majority of the lights.

I don't like the colored stone halo. Unless the color of the halo stones matches the main stone color exactly (as in the video) it will just serve to distract or muddy the color perception of the main stone. I think a simple diamond halo is your best bet. A diamond halo makes the center stone look bigger, too.

I think its worth it to order the EC from Blaze and look at it in real life. If you don't like it, you're only out a little bit of postage.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I would not get any of them. Blaze gems has gone above and beyond with all the pictures they have sent you. But that doesn't mean you're obligated to buy anything.

kallard

Rough_Rock
I just sent and email to inquire about having rough cut.

I see the great qualities of the ec, but it is not really the color, shape, or cut I was looking for. I know it would make a nice ring, but I don't think it is what I want.

The lavender spinel on LoupeTroupe is pretty, but I was on a quest for a blue/green stone. If I am going to go with purple, I want it to be screaming purple or purple blue rather than lavender.

S

SparkliesLuver

Keep us posted! :wavey: :)

kallard

Rough_Rock
Blaze is on board for this route, but I need to decide cut, size, etc.

S

SparkliesLuver

Yep, there's a lot to decide. Blaze can help, but I'd really talk with Jerry. He's a wonderfully friendly man who knows his stuff.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Yes, I had seen that link. I like it, but I want something a little different.

Where did the above photo of rough come from?

Blue/green is the best color description of the color I want I guess - this is where I am having the most trouble. But I would also like blue fine, or even green fine IF it weren't a yellowy green. My bigger problem is the saturation.

How much can you tell from that rough what the color will be....and to avoid the grey/dark? That is my biggest concern and also where I have had a problem with everything I have seen so far. Either too grey in certain lights OR too light and the color disappears. I know that JuliaB's examples I linked to above are dark - but you can definitely tell they are a dark teal and not a grey. In her videos, she does take them in and out of the light....but not inside.

Also...after getting the rough from Blaze and then having Jerry do the cut, then what? Who does the setting?

kallard

Rough_Rock
Oh, have now found that rough example!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1442293950|3927900 said:
* * * How much can you tell from that rough what the color will be....and to avoid the grey/dark? That is my biggest concern and also where I have had a problem with everything I have seen so far. Either too grey in certain lights OR too light and the color disappears. I know that JuliaB's examples I linked to above are dark - but you can definitely tell they are a dark teal and not a grey. In her videos, she does take them in and out of the light....but not inside.

Also...after getting the rough from Blaze and then having Jerry do the cut, then what? Who does the setting?
Jerry can better assess rough, and anticipate what the resulting faceted stone(s) will look like, than any of us consumers ;)) I'm thinking a phone call would be more efficient-productive than e-mail for both you and him. If you've not already done so, you'll want to clarify with Jerry what happens if you don't like the stone he cuts for you, will he accept a return and give you a refund of most/all of the price.

But many (most?) people don't want to engage in the process of having a stone cut as a special order from rough, and you may be one of them -- there's no shame in deciding you'll limit yourself to considering stones that are already cut, if that's really your preference.

As to who makes the setting, that largely will depend on what style(s) of ring you'd like & your budget; geographic location (i.e., if you don't live in the US) might also be a factor for you.

Hope you're not feeling super discouraged ~ Molly

kallard

Rough_Rock
May have found a ring from JuliaB she did not post yet. The stone is smaller than I wanted, but not by much, and the halo adds to it. It is not as dark as her others I posted above. She will also give me two bands (my idea) to add a thicker look to the band like I wanted,all within my otigonal budget. Same would be true if I went with a purple sapphire I like, but I like this color.

The photo was taken in shade (it was raining where she is... and where I am).

screenshot_2015-09-15-15-19-29.png

I like the idea for the rough cut, but I think not for my wedding ring.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the new ring in your size, kallard; if not, are you thinking you would have Julia resize it before sending it to you? The reason I ask is because her stated policy is no returns-refunds on pieces that have been modified, e.g., resizing:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JuliaBJewelry/policy?ref=shopinfo_policies_leftnav

So you'd be better off, if the current size isn't right, to have her ship the ring "as is" so you can decide if it's a keeper, and receive a refund if it's not for you.

S

SparkliesLuver

Excellent points, MollyMalone! I'd also vote to see it in-hand first and then decide.

kallard

Rough_Rock
I am asking for a couple more photos and the size information. Most of her rings are size 7, which is my size, so I won't have it resized. If it isn't 7, I will heed your advice and wait.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Not that this helps, but that looks very similar to mine, so I like it :)

(mine is very shifty! Have seen everything from forest green to atlantic ocean grey blue to solid steel grey. So be prepared!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If none of the Blaze sapphires rock your boat, then do not feel bad about not buying from him. He seems very helpful and even if he doesn't make a sale from you today, trust me, others reading this will probably buy something from him one day because he goes above and beyond in the customer service department.

kallard

Rough_Rock
I decided to go with the ring from JuliaB.

She made me a video yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRmAmE6I-xA

This one is a little lighter than the other two teal rings that I posted before.

It is not a Montana, it is from Madagascar. It is a size 7, so doesn't need resizing, and am also getting two bands to wear on both sides of the ring.

Just as a side note, after looking through all of this, I am still holding out that I will try the rough cut path in the future for another ring. I also still want to build a ring, but not for everyday.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I noticed that you like heart shaped sapphire and you also have indicated you like a greenish blue sapphire. I bought a heart shaped "supposedly" sapphire few years ago. I'm not sure if it's a real sapphire or not because I only paid couple hundred dollars for it. I saw your thread and would like to contact you about this stone, but before I did I wanted to try to look it up to make sure if it's even a real sapphire before I offer to give it to you. It came with a certificate and I don't even know for sure if that's even a real certificate. I would feel bad if it turns out a fake. Forgive me if it's not a real thing ok. Let me know if you want it. Don't worry about the cost. I don't need this stone. Also, I know you're a teacher and on a tight budget. I love teachers. You guys have the hardest job and under appreciated a lot of times. Let me know how to ship it to you. Here are some pics

_34430.jpg

_34431.jpg

_34432.jpg

kallard

Rough_Rock
That's very generous! I think it is against the forum policy to post email/FB, etc., information, so not sure how to talk off forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results