shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Kitchenaid Stand Mixer do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I haven't been around in a long while, nice to see everyone! I am hoping to get a Kitchenaid stand mixer but am getting very confused. I KNOW there are some great bakers and very knowledgeable people over here in Family Home and Health so I hope to get your input!

I was pretty set on the Artisan model ($299 retail), but then I noticed that there is a Professional 5 series ($319) and also a Professional series made just for Costco ($279). I could get the Artisan or the Pro 5 at Bed Bath and Beyond and use a 20% coupon, so the price difference is small with the Artisan being cheapest. The biggest difference seems to be with the Artisan, the mixer top flips open while with either of the Professionals, the bowl cranks up and down. The bowl size is the same (5 quarts) for each of them but the Professionals have a higher motor power.

I plan to use the mixer a few times a month so I don't need anything heavy duty, but I wonder if it is worth the extra money to get one of the Professionals since they have a higher motor power. However, I wonder if I would prefer the flip top or the bowl crank style. Either would fit on my counter top, no problem, and I would get either black or red which is available in all models.

So, what model do you have and do you like it? Anything else I should consider? I can't post pics right now but will try to do so later....

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The higher power is only worth it if you regularly will make bread and other really thick things IMO.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Neatfreak. i actually have a bread machine so I think I would use it when I was making bread dough.

I actually found the Artisan on sale online so maybe I should snap it up!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted a deal in the cupcake thread for an Artisan for $199 (only a few colors though but I believe black was one of the choices). I have the dark matte gray Artisan and it works great for my needs.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Tandogmom!! Good to see you; I agree w/Tacori the Artisan is great, my mom and sis use there's for breads etc and I have the Pro (got it as a gift) and they have had theirs at least 5 years and have held up to mine. Here is what was found on page 37 of the cupcake thread when Qt was looking for a Mixer. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-cupcake-thread.81117/page-37

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy and Tacori! It sounds like many people are happy with Artisan. Tacori that matte color you have sounds really nice. I am leaning more and more to the Artisan. Skippy it is nice to see you too! Thank you for the link to pg 37 of the cupcake thread. I never would have noticed that on my own. The discussion there was very useful. I wonder if my costco has the artisan for $199. did not see it when I was there the other day but I could always call and have them check. I did find it on Amazon for $209 after rebate and that is nearly just as good. I was thinking black or silver to be neutral, but red would look awesome in my kitchen, so I''ll have to think about that!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I tried to find the $199 deal you mentioned, but didn''t see it. Can you tell me what store it was from or point me in the right direction? I saw where you mentioned LNT going out of business.

Confession time... the reason I want to do all this baking is that I am "nesting"... I am nearly 6 months preggo! For some reason I am TOTALLY craving baked goods these days and want to learn how to bake them myself. I always thought I would join up with the preggo thread but for some reason, haven''t really been feeling it... but maybe I will join the mama''s thread when my little one arrives!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 3:46:47 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I LOVE my Kichenaid.. and there are a TON of applications you can buy for it. It was on my list for our wedding.. I wanted the Komen pink, so that a donation would be made :) Komen Pink

Thanks SDL! I love the sentiment of the pink but don''t think the DH would go for pink esp since our kitchen is red and brown primarily... but what an awesome way to get something for yourself and make a contribution at the same time!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 3:46:47 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I LOVE my Kichenaid.. and there are a TON of applications you can buy for it. It was on my list for our wedding.. I wanted the Komen pink, so that a donation would be made :) Komen Pink

That''s the one I have, but I unfortunately have the older model accolade, which is great but LOUD compared to the artisan!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 3:47:32 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Tacori, I tried to find the $199 deal you mentioned, but didn't see it. Can you tell me what store it was from or point me in the right direction? I saw where you mentioned LNT going out of business.

Confession time... the reason I want to do all this baking is that I am 'nesting'... I am nearly 6 months preggo! For some reason I am TOTALLY craving baked goods these days and want to learn how to bake them myself. I always thought I would join up with the preggo thread but for some reason, haven't really been feeling it... but maybe I will join the mama's thread when my little one arrives!
TDM, that is WONDERFUL news; I am so happy for you!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Do you know if you are having a boy or girl? Hope I am not prying, I am just overjoyed for you friend!

I think red or the other colors you mentioned would be wonderful!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Do you know the sex of the baby yet?

I misspoke sorry! This is what I posted "Amazon currently has the KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer for $209.99 after-rebate. The $209.99 price is only valid on the following colors: White, Cobalt Blue, Empire Red, Onyx Black and Metallic Chrome." So it was the deal you already knew about. I wanted the chrome at first but HATED how it looked IRL (like spray paint) so chose the dark matte gray (I think it is called imperial gray or something). I love it b/c it is neutral. I got it at BB&B. I actually had to exchange the first one b/c I opened the box and it was matte black. I had my heart set on gray but the matte black was *very* cool! I thought about keeping it for a minute.

ETA: Skippy and I are noisy! Haha!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, first of all!!!

I have the artisan and I love it - I started out with an older one (I think the professional series?) that DH's grandma gave me. I actually disliked the design a lot - the bowl locks in place, and then you basically crank the mixer down into the bowl - but every time you unlock the mixer and try to take the attachment off, the dough hook or whatever attachment you're using will have to go back down into whatever you've just mixed before it comes off. I didn't like that...I like how I can flip the top of the artisan up and if you're making a cake batter or something that isn't very stiff, it will drip off into the bowl. It's also a lot easier to add things or check on the consistency with the style that flips up. The thing is crazy strong - I've used the very high speed once. I've never needed more than speed 4-5, and that's when I'm making whipped cream.

My MIL got mine for me as a wedding present on amazon.com. When she got hers (lavender, it's gorgeous - but DH wanted something less feminine, so ours is cobalt blue), she told me that the prices on amazon are a steal.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Skippy and Tacori, you are not prying! I am happy to share. I'm having a boy and due in late March. Like I said I always thought I would be part of the preggo thread but have been so busy with work and life that I haven't been on PS much at all this past year. Thanks for the congratulations and everything! I'm sure when I am up nights with the baby I will catch up on all that I've missed... Tacori I'll definitely be reading/re-reading your posts from the preggo and mom's threads... I always learn from you!

Re the mixer the matte colors do sound nice! I am with you on the chrome - it did look spray painted. It is too bad. Their other metallics cost quite a bit more than the non-metalics. If I get the Artisan I do want to get one on sale but it sounds like they have lots of good colors. The emperial red would look awesome in my kitchen but i hope I would not tire of the color over time. Skippy, I've seen pics of your beautiful kitchen. Mine is very similar in layout. I like your granite better though! I have tropic brown in most of my kitchen with a black island and brown cabinets, with brown wood floors. The kitchen is pretty brown so to brighten it up I have a red window treatment, red dishtowels, red rug by the sink, cafe themed decor items with some red in them. So, the red would be great for the mixer but as a higher-ticket item I would hate to be stuck with red if I change the other colors someday! Oh well i will have to think it over. It may be worth it to have that pop of color for now. Plus, I have always liked red, I don't think I will get tired of it. It's a happy cheery kitchen color!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Awesome SDL! That sounds very nice. I was at someone''s house over the weekend who had decorated in pink and green, and it was beautiful. The Komen pink would have worked great for her kitchen too come to think of it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you love the red you should get it! They might make a matte version...I can''t remember. Just head over to BB&B to look at the colors. I knew I would personally regret getting a color. I change my stuff too often. But I love how they look in other people''s kitchen.

Well I hope you do decide to join the mommy thread when your son is born (we need more boys! Haha). It (and the preggo board was) is a great source of advice, information, *support* and friendship. I know I am a better mom and a better person b/c of the relationships I have made there. Enjoy the honeymoon of your pregnancy.
2.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
TanDogMom, my SMIL has the red and I believe DH told me she''s had that since they moved into that house (over ten years now). They also have the red kitchenaid toaster. I think the red is pretty timeless - go for it! :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 4:17:48 PM
Skippy and Tacori, you are not prying! I am happy to share. I''m having a boy and due in late March. Like I said I always thought I would be part of the preggo thread but have been so busy with work and life that I haven''t been on PS much at all this past year. Thanks for the congratulations and everything! I''m sure when I am up nights with the baby I will catch up on all that I''ve missed... Tacori I''ll definitely be reading/re-reading your posts from the preggo and mom''s threads... I always learn from you!

Re the mixer the matte colors do sound nice! I am with you on the chrome - it did look spray painted. It is too bad. Their other metallics cost quite a bit more than the non-metalics. If I get the Artisan I do want to get one on sale but it sounds like they have lots of good colors. The emperial red would look awesome in my kitchen but i hope I would not tire of the color over time. Skippy, I''ve seen pics of your beautiful kitchen. Mine is very similar in layout. I like your granite better though! I have tropic brown in most of my kitchen with a black island and brown cabinets, with brown wood floors. The kitchen is pretty brown so to brighten it up I have a red window treatment, red dishtowels, red rug by the sink, cafe themed decor items with some red in them. So, the red would be great for the mixer but as a higher-ticket item I would hate to be stuck with red if I change the other colors someday! Oh well i will have to think it over. It may be worth it to have that pop of color for now. Plus, I have always liked red, I don''t think I will get tired of it. It''s a happy cheery kitchen color!
Many congrats, I am so happy for you
36.gif
36.gif

Thank you for your sweet words; I want to see pics of your kitchen!! I have a white Kitchen Aide; it goes with everything but sometimes I wish I got a colored one. I would pick the one you love years down the road as far as color goes. Pop in more, I miss seeing you around.
2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
While I don''t yet have my OWN kitchen, I so very badly want this Tiffany Blue one....
30.gif
(go figure!) I keep telling everyone to get it for me for Christmas and I will just store it somewhere until I do get my own kitchen. What if they don''t make it in this color anymore???!!
SP32-20081012-121911.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 4:39:45 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
If you love the red you should get it! They might make a matte version...I can't remember. Just head over to BB&B to look at the colors. I knew I would personally regret getting a color. I change my stuff too often. But I love how they look in other people's kitchen.

Well I hope you do decide to join the mommy thread when your son is born (we need more boys! Haha). It (and the preggo board was) is a great source of advice, information, *support* and friendship. I know I am a better mom and a better person b/c of the relationships I have made there. Enjoy the honeymoon of your pregnancy.
2.gif

Thanks Tacori! I hope to see you on the mom thread as well! I will need all the help I can get. I guess the thing that scared me a bit away from the preggo thread is that people post such personal stuff and I know I would want to also... but you have no way to control who is lurking and reading. I feel like all the people I have come to "know" over the years who are regular posters are awesome, but I just felt a bit creeped out sharing such personal stuff with who-knows-who in the wider cybersphere.... but maybe I will get over that and join up anyway! I have definitely learned a lot already from the parts I've read on the preggo and mom's threads.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 4:41:57 PM
Author: Elmorton
TanDogMom, my SMIL has the red and I believe DH told me she's had that since they moved into that house (over ten years now). They also have the red kitchenaid toaster. I think the red is pretty timeless - go for it! :)

Thanks Elmorton for your posts! Sounds like your SMIL and I have similar kitchen taste! I appreciate the congrats in your first post. I also appreciate you telling me about the bowl cranking mechanism. That makes me feel even better about going with the artisan because it sounds like it will be really easy to use. I agree, Amazon has some great deals! It really pays to shop around!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 5:38:36 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 12/8/2008 4:17:48 PM

Skippy and Tacori, you are not prying! I am happy to share. I''m having a boy and due in late March. Like I said I always thought I would be part of the preggo thread but have been so busy with work and life that I haven''t been on PS much at all this past year. Thanks for the congratulations and everything! I''m sure when I am up nights with the baby I will catch up on all that I''ve missed... Tacori I''ll definitely be reading/re-reading your posts from the preggo and mom''s threads... I always learn from you!

Re the mixer the matte colors do sound nice! I am with you on the chrome - it did look spray painted. It is too bad. Their other metallics cost quite a bit more than the non-metalics. If I get the Artisan I do want to get one on sale but it sounds like they have lots of good colors. The emperial red would look awesome in my kitchen but i hope I would not tire of the color over time. Skippy, I''ve seen pics of your beautiful kitchen. Mine is very similar in layout. I like your granite better though! I have tropic brown in most of my kitchen with a black island and brown cabinets, with brown wood floors. The kitchen is pretty brown so to brighten it up I have a red window treatment, red dishtowels, red rug by the sink, cafe themed decor items with some red in them. So, the red would be great for the mixer but as a higher-ticket item I would hate to be stuck with red if I change the other colors someday! Oh well i will have to think it over. It may be worth it to have that pop of color for now. Plus, I have always liked red, I don''t think I will get tired of it. It''s a happy cheery kitchen color!
Many congrats, I am so happy for you
36.gif
36.gif

Thank you for your sweet words; I want to see pics of your kitchen!! I have a white Kitchen Aide; it goes with everything but sometimes I wish I got a colored one. I would pick the one you love years down the road as far as color goes. Pop in more, I miss seeing you around.
2.gif

Thank you again Skippy! I have missed being in touch with you also. I hope to pop in more! Maybe one of these days I''ll post some pics of my kitchen once the mixer comes! (that is a teaser.... will update in one of my next posts about what I bought...)

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 6:00:22 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
While I don''t yet have my OWN kitchen, I so very badly want this Tiffany Blue one....
30.gif
(go figure!) I keep telling everyone to get it for me for Christmas and I will just store it somewhere until I do get my own kitchen. What if they don''t make it in this color anymore???!!

SP32-20081012-121911.gif

Dreamgirl, I hope you get your mixer! That is a very pretty color! On the bright side (pun intended) if they discontinue it maybe you can find it for a killer price!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again everyone who replied. I decided to order the Artisan in black from Amazon! I did the trial upgrade thing so I even got free 2 days shipping! Anyway, I chose the Onyx black (glossy black). The red would look awesome in my kitchen today but I may change color schemes in future years, and I figure the black is more neutral. It is less exciting but will look great in my kitchen also and hopefully I will never tire of the color. I liked the matte black but the glossy was on sale ($209 after rebate!) and I really like the glossy too!

I cannot wait til it arrives! Right in time for holiday baking!

Thanks again for all your help.

HaloAngel

Shiny_Rock
Congrats to you on your future baby boy!

I have the KA Artisan in Empire Red. My kitchen is mostly blacks, stainless, tan, creme, white, etc, so red is my accent color.
If you take a look on the KA website, they make many of their other small appliances, gadgets, utensils, etc in either black or empire red....this tells me that KA is planning on keeping that particular shade of red around for a long time :) (but as for me, only my kitchen linens & stand mixer are red....i stuck with the classic black/stainless for everyhing else....moderation! lol)
Hope that helps & let us know what you choose :)

ETA : Ooops...you already bought one! lol

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I just received the KitchenAid classic from Target...I think it was around $169.99 on sale.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a KA Epicurean in cobalt blue...as mentioned in Cupcake World (The Cupcake Thread). My kitchen is blonde wood, black floor, black countertops, stainless steel appliances and cobalt blue as an accent. I actually designed in around the light fixture my mom picked out and my KA.

I don''t really use my KA that much (I''ve mentioned in CW that I mix most things by hand) but because the things I don''t mix by hand are either bread doughs, whipped creams or meringues, I go for power. So clearly I''m lusting after the KA Pro. One day...

I hope you enjoy your Artisan! Did you get a tilt head or the bowl lifting version?

And congrats on your little one!!!Have you thought about names?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had my Artisan for almost 8 years and never had a moments trouble with it. I will be upgrading to the professional sometime soon, but will continue to use my original one also.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 3:47:32 PM
Tacori, I tried to find the $199 deal you mentioned, but didn''t see it. Can you tell me what store it was from or point me in the right direction? I saw where you mentioned LNT going out of business.

Confession time... the reason I want to do all this baking is that I am ''nesting''... I am nearly 6 months preggo! For some reason I am TOTALLY craving baked goods these days and want to learn how to bake them myself. I always thought I would join up with the preggo thread but for some reason, haven''t really been feeling it... but maybe I will join the mama''s thread when my little one arrives!
6.gif
Congratulations Gail!!! That''s wonderful news.
36.gif

And I am jealous. I want a Kitchenaid, but hubby does not understand the price tag.
11.gif
(frankly neither do I, but I still want one)
9.gif

Be sure and let us know when your little one arrives!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I also have the Artisan in Tangerine. It''s awesome.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS, GAIL!!!!! That is so exciting!!! I just clicked on this thread to talk about Kitchenaid mixers, and saw this awesome news!!! LOL!
So happy for you!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

PS- Oh yeah, back to mixers, ha! I have the Artisan in grey, but, Im embarassed to admit, I have NEVER used it!!! I love to bake, but that thing intimidates me!!! Isnt that ridiculous???? How do I take the plunge? What do you guys use it for? Whenever I have to mix something, I just use my little hand mixer!!!!
I know, Im so lame!!!!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results