shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is the bigger evil?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Windows or visible and prominent inclusion right under the table ?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
For me a massive window is worse - most of the time I'm not too worried by inclusions. A teeny window is okay with me IF everything else is exceptional.

If it did bother me then I'd just keep looking for the right stone that had neither...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends how it will look in the setting and the color of the inclusion and the color of the stone. I think fine cutting can often make a huge inclusion less prominent. However, bad cutting, no matter how hard you try, cannot make a huge window disappear. A smaller window can disappear in a setting though.

I have a champagne diamond with a large feather across the table. It completely disappears when placed in a setting because it has no window, and the color also helps to hide it.

azelismia

Rough_Rock
Trade
I hope this isn''t too far off topic, but how do you tell the difference between an inclusion and a fracture? are they the same?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fracture is a type of inclusion, but not all inclusions are fractures. A fracture is a crack in the stone which can sometimes permeate the surface. Rubies and emeralds are known for having lots of fractures, which are often filled with lead glass, resin or oil in order to make the stone appear cleaner.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me to depends on the stone. I have one with a giant window, but it''s completely eye clean. I think that I''d probably take a window over big inclusions.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
SS,
I''m going to give you the waffly answer -- it depends. I don''t mind a small window if it doesn''t affect the stone''s light return. I also don''t mind a visible inclusion if it''s interesting (e.g. I would love to have a certain stone that has a visible pyrite crystal in it). Also, it depends on what GIA category the stone falls under.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Umm I would probably take the inclusion. At least with colored stones, inclusions are more, maybe acceptable? than in diamonds...at least from what I read (just as an identifying thing, plus some inclusions are cool). And inclusions are a natural part of the stone, whereas a window usually means poor cutting.

I''m actually really tempted by a stone that has a very visible inclusion, but I love the color and cut. Haven''t decided on that yet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how bad both are. I don''t mind a small window because it can be closed with the right setting. As for inclusions, I would not mind if has an interesting shape or is gemstone within a gemstone, which I''d love.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like I am with most ladies here.. I can tolerate a small window but not a huge one and between a large window and a prominent inclusion, I''ll pick the one with the inclusion if the colour and everything else is right too. I was asking because according to my jeweler, a number of her customers do not mind windows. I mind windows to the extent that I will slot the price tag under the stone to see if I can see the numbers..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results