shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is the best shape stone for short, fat fingers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
I am calling on that infinity of wonderful knowledge out there.

I absolutely love cushion cut stones, set in an eternity band, with an eternity as a wedding band, however, I am a size 7 finger and they are not the longest out there either. Looking at all these beautiful hands and fingers on PS has increased my ''finger'' envy. What in your opinion best complements the more challenged type of finger?

Photos would be appreciated to give me a visual idea as well please.

Thanks in anticipation everyone

CowBelle

Rough_Rock
Based on what I have read, stay away from square shapes. Oval or marquise would be flattering to your finger. But they also have the bowtie effect...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 9:44:59 AM
Author:Samantha Red

I absolutely love cushion cut stones, set in an eternity band, with an eternity as a wedding band, however, I am a size 7 finger and they are not the longest out there either. Looking at all these beautiful hands and fingers on PS has increased my ''finger'' envy. What in your opinion best complements the more challenged type of finger?

::ahem:: I have an 8.25 finger and yes, cushions DO come in longer sizes.

Or you can get an emerald cut.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the bow tie effect?

Many thanks
emteeth.gif

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 10:35:05 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Unfortunately I am not a big fan of the emerald cut stones, what minimum carat size would be best do you think?

Thank you so much for responding

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 10:38:37 AM
Author: Samantha Red

Date: 2/5/2007 10:35:05 AM

Unfortunately I am not a big fan of the emerald cut stones, what minimum carat size would be best do you think?

Thank you so much for responding
Get what you can afford... I know that the biggest factor in me going up up up in size was, geeez this looks like a chip on my big old finger LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 10:46:29 AM

Date: 2/5/2007 10:40:40 AM
Author: Lorelei
This page explains the basics and has pics of bowties.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ShapeTutorials/ShapeTips1/
Thanks very much Lorelei, I understand now, but don''t feel that would put me off. I like the idea that visually a fancy would give you more size

Thanks again
oval is probably the best for coverage... the best cushions IMO are quite a bit deeper than ovals.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 10:48:06 AM

Thanks very much Lorelei, I understand now, but don''t feel that would put me off. I like the idea that visually a fancy would give you more size

Thanks again
oval is probably the best for coverage... the best cushions IMO are quite a bit deeper than ovals.
Is there a link to your ring please?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks again
Glad to help! Opinions vary with bow ties in fancies, but in my opinion it is really difficult to avoid them and also as fancy shapes can look larger for their weight than a round is an important consideration! Also Bt''s are more prominent in some lights than others with the diamond at various angles, they aren''t necessarily in your face the whole time - well that is how my 2ct pear behaves, they are all different. You can always ask a vendor as to how prominent a bow tie is with a particular stone.

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I have always been a fan of the marquise cut. I have small hands and a 4.5 size finger and I have tried on most cuts. The marquise has always been my favorite! I am new to posting here but have lurked for quite some time. It seems as the majority of people hear don''t care for Marquise, but I have never been one to go with what everyone likes. I do like Princess cuts and Asschers''s as well. But, the Marquise stones look bigger to me for the carat weight. Try on the different cuts at a jewelry store and see what you prefer the best. I know round is very popular but I think it looks best on long, thin fingers. It does nothing for my short fingers. LOL!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 10:50:16 AM

Thanks again
I don''t have a ring yet - just a stone... but I think we''re doing a presentation on it at 1pm pacific... the stone is in my avatar but here''s a pic of it "on" kinda sorta. This is not my fav pic of the stone but I chose this to show you the "bow tie" in it - which for this stone is more like a cumberbund. Those huge facets put off huge rainbows and they''re my favorite - I wish they were all that big LOL There was a time when I was obsessed with the cumberbund and it made me unhappy but also at the time it was my favorite part - now I just see it as my favorite part and there''s nothing disappointing about it.

BTW this is an antique style cushion but cut last year... GIA cert "Old Mine Brilliant".
cbOMC70.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 11:08:57 AM
Author: Beeweaver
I have always been a fan of the marquise cut. I have small hands and a 4.5 size finger and I have tried on most cuts. The marquise has always been my favorite! I am new to posting here but have lurked for quite some time. It seems as the majority of people hear don''t care for Marquise, but I have never been one to go with what everyone likes. I do like Princess cuts and Asschers''s as well. But, the Marquise stones look bigger to me for the carat weight. Try on the different cuts at a jewelry store and see what you prefer the best. I know round is very popular but I think it looks best on long, thin fingers. It does nothing for my short fingers. LOL!
when I got here I didn''t like them at ALL but I''ve since found an appreciation for them - particularly the fatter ones. I''m still not super fond of the very spindlely look but I think you''ll find that MANY people here appreciate them - they''re just not their #1 choice and many of us only have one diamond.... for those who have several, most of them have a marquise LOL

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think anything oblong slenderizes the finger, ovals, pears, mq, radiant, cushion, etc. However, nothing is going to make that huge of a difference, so I would just get whatever shape you like the best.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Samantha, I am glad that you posted this question. I have been trying to find a ring for my future Mrs and it seems that her fingers might be a little bigger than most. I noticed that from my research of her rings, she seems to have emerald cut.
I look forward to hearing more suggestions, etc.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks very much Lorelei, I understand now, but don't feel that would put me off. I like the idea that visually a fancy would give you more size

Thanks again

some fancy's will give you more for size, most cushions unfortunately aren't one of them. I was looking for a cushion at one time and found that I needed a 2 carat cushion to get the same visual look/spread as a 1.5 round. I did want a squarish cushion and if you go for a rectagular shape you might have better success but cushions are deep and carry a lot of weight in their deapth so they look smaller than they are. I agree though you should get the stone shape you love in the size you can afford, that's what you will enjoy looking at every day. also, buy from a vendor with a good upgrade policy if you think you might someday want to trade it in for something bigger or even a different shape.

Anna_Magdalena

Rough_Rock
Hi Samantha,
Just wanted to add that my sister-in-law has a marquise, about .45 carats, and it looks bigger to me than its weight. (I''ve noticed that some fancy shapes have to be bigger to achieve the same impact of a round, while others seem to be the opposite.) She does have wider fingers than me, and I think the marquise is really a good look on her hand. Hope that helps!

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 11:13:58 AM

Date: 2/5/2007 10:50:16 AM

Thanks again
I don''t have a ring yet - just a stone... but I think we''re doing a presentation on it at 1pm pacific... the stone is in my avatar but here''s a pic of it ''on'' kinda sorta. This is not my fav pic of the stone but I chose this to show you the ''bow tie'' in it - which for this stone is more like a cumberbund. Those huge facets put off huge rainbows and they''re my favorite - I wish they were all that big LOL There was a time when I was obsessed with the cumberbund and it made me unhappy but also at the time it was my favorite part - now I just see it as my favorite part and there''s nothing disappointing about it.

BTW this is an antique style cushion but cut last year... GIA cert ''Old Mine Brilliant''.
cbOMC70.jpg
That is absolutely stunning, I totally love it. Thank you so much for sharing

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 2:22:53 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Thanks again

some fancy''s will give you more for size, most cushions unfortunately aren''t one of them. I was looking for a cushion at one time and found that I needed a 2 carat cushion to get the same visual look/spread as a 1.5 round. I did want a squarish cushion and if you go for a rectagular shape you might have better success but cushions are deep and carry a lot of weight in their deapth so they look smaller than they are. I agree though you should get the stone shape you love in the size you can afford, that''s what you will enjoy looking at every day. also, buy from a vendor with a good upgrade policy if you think you might someday want to trade it in for something bigger or even a different shape.
I am so glad that I asked this question because it has been so educational, thank you so much to everyone. I never realised about the depth of the cushions. So grateful to everyone

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oval, pear, marquise - great for larger fingers because they face up larger than round counterparts. Asschers and cushions generally face up smaller than rounds of the same weight.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
the ring in my avatar is for a size ten finger. i vote for pear !

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Oval or long cushion =-)

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree . . . oval or an elongated cushion.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Could you post a picture of your hand, with or without a ring on??

I have a size 6.5 finger which is kind of on the larger side, but I think it is important to note the distance between knuckle and where the finger meets the hand (for lack of better explanation). That is what, to me, should help determine proportion size.
Incidently I wear a square radiant stone...

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
oops, meant to post pics.... here is one with my ering and wedding band (it is a 1.5 carat center stone with 1ct along the band and a 1 ct wedding band....

squaaty1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 3:34:48 PM
I am so glad that I asked this question because it has been so educational, thank you so much to everyone. I never realised about the depth of the cushions. So grateful to everyone
thank you for your comments :)

I wanted to add that not all cushions face up small. Mine faces up spot on I think... at least as well as an emerald or oval based on this chart: http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/actual-diamond-size.pdf

My stone has a 66% depth and is aprox 9.5x7.5 and 2.71 carats... the chart above lists radiant, emerald, and oval as being 9x7 for 2.5 carats and 10x8 for 3 carats.... so I think its right in there. I''ve seen stones with the SAME dimensions (9.5x7.5x5) weigh a half carat more (3.21) with the same depth and everything.... so you have to not worry so much about the numbers as much as the way it looks to you. Just don''t go too far the other way and go for a shallow stone.... some might be pretty but the real allure of cushions is the fat crowns and you don''t want to give up that :)

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic of a 1 ct oval pink sapphire and split band. I returned it bc I thought the size of the sapph too small for my finger, I didn''t like the proportion.

handyboo.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
and here is the ring I replaced the smaller oval with, this is an 8 x 10mm oval...

I was having a very hard time sizing all of these, sorry they are so different!

DSC05317cm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results