shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is the best from the 3? (Round cut diamond)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, it's exactly a .2mm size difference. That's a pretty large difference in a smaller stone, and side by side, would most likely be visible in a solitaire setting. Second, BN also has a LIFETIME upgrade program if the upgrade diamond is 2X the cost. After about .7 carat prices start going up pretty significantly from there, so if you wanted to go up from say a .7 carat to a .9-1 carat in the future, it would be at least 2X the cost anyway. So I really don't think that WF is a no-brainer in this case, especially since the BN stone also has all of the "advanced" ASET, H&A, IdealScope images found on enchanted diamonds which look very nice.

Finally, I'm not sure why J stones are still being recommended. It's really not wise to be going this low in color without knowing the recipients preferences. And sure, the stone could be upgraded next year or something, but IMO it's best to get something that the recipient will be happy with from the get-go. It's not really fun for the recipient to look at their ring and go "Oh, it's... yellow" the day after the proposal. With a GIA H color, I think it would at least be a safe enough color in this size stone that, if the recipient noticed it at all, it would just be a minor tint. Depending on how color sensitive the individual is, J's can look quite tinted.

If @Manje did want to go with WF for some reason (even though he already said he prefers BN) then something like this would be a safer choice:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4094444.htm

My comparison of the WF stones wasn't even against the H VS2 you quoted from Yadav. Yes, against the Yadav stone there is approximately about 0.20mm difference which is about 1/128th inch. Side by side, yes, you would see a slight difference. Doing a blind test, where not side by side, not so much.

But more to the point, the dimensions of the OP's original choice "C" was the comparison.

C https://www.bluenile.com/jp/en/diamond-details/LD12031103

That stone measures exactly 5.55 x 5.57, which is basically a wash with the WF stones I recommended. Also, the WF stones are basically the same price. Except you get a true H&A stone and better upgrade program -- for FREE.

Speaking of upgrade programs, your scenario works because you assume a one time jump. Hell, for that fact, losing half the value ($900) of the original stone is sustainable if they want to go outside BN on the first upgrade, but after words get much more expensive. Depending how the OP would do upgrades over their lifetime, the difference in the upgrade programs can have a significant impact. On the flip side, if the OP never upgrades then both upgrade programs are a waste.

Lastly, I would agree that a firm decision needs made on color and that J can be too tinted for some buyers. Honestly I'm not a J buyer, but there are plenty here who love it. Also, the OP indicated budget was at play in his decision on color along with his (loose) interpretation of color sensitivity. While you have presented an H option, you also presented a hefty $700 (or 39%) price upgrade.

What I am certain about is the OP has been asking about J colored stones. So I don't feel the recommendation of another J was out of line and a disservice to the OP. Especially on a stone this particular size.

Some additional information for the OP to read concerning color:

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/the-4-cs-color.htm

diamond-color-side.jpg

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/i-color-diamonds-1392.htm

super-ideal-cut-diamond-color-i.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, to me, the solitaire is a good idea purely from the "sunk cost" standpoint. I wouldn't want to put more than $200-300 into a setting if I didn't know the recipient's preferences. Halos and side stone rings are definitely devisive. Some women like them and some women don't. This is especially true with colored stone halos. Definitely an acquired taste.

If it turns out that his girlfriend loves halos after he proposes with a solitaire, then great. They can design a great custom Halo together and incorporate all of the details that she wants (maybe even a sapphire Halo :roll2:) and they can put a cheap CZ into the solitaire to use as a secondary/travel ring (most jewelers will do this free of charge if you're buying the upgrade setting from them).

But if he spends over $1k on a halo, or even close to $1k on a more expensive solitaire, and it turns out that she wants something different, then that's quite a large sunk cost to be spending on something that will only be used as a travel ring...

Food for thought. When buying my fiancee's stone, BGD made a very generous offer to set the stone in a basic solitaire so I could propose. After the custom setting was designed & made, I could ship back to them and they would swap the stone to the custom setting and refund the initial cost of the solitaire.

Basically no sunk costs. ;)2

Doubtful BN would extend such an offer being a larger entity. BGD is a smaller shop. WF might do something similar if asked. Who knows. But being international, the insurance & shipping may not be worth the hassle.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Food for thought. When buying my fiancee's stone, BGD made a very generous offer to set the stone in a basic solitaire so I could propose. After the custom setting was designed & made, I could ship back to them and they would swap the stone to the custom setting and refund the initial cost of the solitaire.

Basically no sunk costs. ;)2

Doubtful BN would extend such an offer being a larger entity. BGD is a smaller shop. WF might do something similar if asked. Who knows. But being international, the insurance & shipping may not be worth the hassle.

The OP did say they're moving back home in a few months, but still not sure whether moving back home means to his home or her home (UK or US). If UK, then it would probably be best to go with a local jeweler for a setting. But if the US, then they would have a much larger selection of designers (both B&M and online) for the potential upgrade setting should they go that route.

Manje

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone. I've read through everything and looked at some of these options. I'm very busy at work today so I'll have to reply in detail over the weekend.

For now, thank you and I appreciate all the leg work you guys and girls have put in to help me!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks everyone. I've read through everything and looked at some of these options. I'm very busy at work today so I'll have to reply in detail over the weekend.

For now, thank you and I appreciate all the leg work you guys and girls have put in to help me!

Sounds good! No rush. Take your time on the decision. Is there any way you can squeeze some info out of your girlfriend this weekend regarding her preferences for the setting? You don't need to come out and ask directly, but it would be nice if you could at least figure out whether she wants a solitaire/three stone/halo/etc. If she wants a solitaire, then it may be worth it to spring for a slightly nicer setting up front. For example, this is one of the most popular settings on Blue Nile:

https://www.bluenile.com/jp/en/buil...r=customizer&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer

It's slightly more expensive than the low-dome comfort fit setting I posted earlier, and it would put you a little over your original budget at around $2900 if combined with the .73 H/VS2, but I think that extra $150 would be worth it if this would be a setting she is going to be wearing for a significant amount of time. The prong work on the Petite Nouveau is a lot smoother and more refined than on the cheaper Blue Nile solitaires. It's a beautiful, timeless setting that would be extremely comfortable and easy to wear. If you click on "Customer Creations" there are videos of a .81 G/VS2 and also a .7 E/VS2. These should give you an idea of how the .73 H/VS2 would look in this setting. IMO it looks great. :)

Alternatively, if you find out that she is very particular about the setting and you think that the setting is going to be replaced rather quickly, then any of the cheaper solitaires will do. Heck, they even have a $180 solitaire on Blue Nile, but it looks rather flimsy.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Following up to see whether OP wants to share his decision - which I'm guessing by lack of responses is that he purchased the original blue nile setting and stone against pricescope advice. Always curious to hear how these things go... OP?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results