shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is more important-Fire or Scintillation (in your opinion)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alicat

Rough_Rock
The diamond I''m getting has a smaller table and slightly larger depth (55-table, 62.8-depth). I''ve been told that diamonds with these dimensions tend to have more "fire" while diamonds with bigger tables have more "scintillation". My question is, which is more important to you and what exactly does each mean? My jeweler said he MIGHT have a diamond very very similar to mine coming in (same price range, color, clarity...) but with a larger spread and bigger table and a bit shallower (i think he said 62-depth, 58-table). all things being equal, which is more desirable?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Let your eyes decide.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

alicat

Rough_Rock
but what are my eyes supposed to be LOOKING for?
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Alicat,

Knowing table and total depth measurements contribute nothing in way of fire or scintillation so given this little information Barry has given you the most sound advice.
1.gif
(btw ... hope your summer is coming along well old friend).

If you are to get an opinion here we'd need alot more data than that and probably more than your jeweler can provide. A first would be crown and pavilion angles. Knowing this info we could give you a "ballpark" on whether you were getting a fiery stone or not but to give you an educated opinion about a diamonds scintillation and that would require an analysis of the minor facets (stars & lower girdles inparticular) and frankly most places can not give you measurements on those facets. Ask for it and see what the response is.
1.gif

Peace,
Rhino

alicat

Rough_Rock
Well, unfortunately I only have the crown and pav %, which i hear are not at all useful on the cut advisor. My jeweler does not have a sarin report either which is unfortunate. Here is the info i DO have
1.64 RB, 7.5-7.55x4.63, crown-15.7%, pav-43.2%, medium to thick faceted girdle. Do these help in determining "fire" and "scintillation"?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/2/2003 6:24:29 PM alicat wrote:

but what are my eyes supposed to be LOOKING for?
1.gif

----------------

They are supposed to be looking for what appeals more to YOUR eyes.

Neither fire nor scintillation is more "important"...it's a preference thing. That's like asking which color is nicer.....red or blue? Neither is better than the other, it just is a question of which appeals to you more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results