shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is more discriminating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tyke

Rough_Rock
Which lab seems to be more strict, if that is the correct term, with their stone grading, GIA or AGS?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The answer might be neither.
I am only speaking about cut grades for round stones though.

There is a lot of possability that stones will have proportions that get very different grades from each lab.
The odds are hard to calculate

It might be safer to go back to looking at diamonds with your eyes, or in my case with ideal-scopes for rounds and ASET scopes for fancy shapes. Or if you like my other religion; use HCA to eliminate

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The PS forum cut grading system is the most advanced in the world because it uses several tools.
No one tool has all the answers, no one person has all the answers.
All systems suck in some way and rock in others.
The cut grades are a first filter nothing more, a skilled vendor is another filter, then as mentioned the IS ASET and hca can be used as filters.
Once enough filters are applied you know enough about a diamond to be confident.
How many filters someone needs varies from person to person.
The last filter and at the same time the best and the worst is the most important and that''s the eyes of the person wearing it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In other words, you can look at AGS0 stones and GIA Excellent stones, but within GIA excellent, there are some stones that wouldn''t make the AGS0 grade. So the important thing is to know what numbers and characteristics are desirable, and then it won''t matter which of the two labs graded the stone. I have 3 stones that are very similar except AGS graded 2 and the other was graded by GIA. But I knew what measurements I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results