shape
carat
color
clarity

Which ideal scope looks better?

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
I understand there's a bit of leakage for diamond A in the middle upper portion (how bad will this look?), but seems to have a bit more darker reds than diamond B.
I've put Diamond A on hold already because I was initially looking at numbers (34.5/40.8) and not ideal scope images.
I'm leaning towards "upgrading" to diamond B, but it costs about 10% more for a 6% face up size increase.

How noticeable will the real life performance difference be? I don't care for the size difference, I care more about the value/performance.

Perhaps there's a better option out there for me with a budget ~4000usd?

Diamond A:
1.45ct
Color D
34.5 crown
40.8 pav
61.7 depth
56 table
med - slightly thick girdle

Diamond B:
1.51ct
Color E
33.8 crown
40.9 pav
61.2 depth
55.5 table
medium girdle

Untitled-2.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between those two, I prefer B.

How about these?

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
Between those two, I prefer B.

How about these?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still a newbie in diamonds so I will take any recommendations from someone with more experience.

Care to explain the choices and rejection of mine?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still a newbie in diamonds so I will take any recommendations from someone with more experience.

Care to explain the choices and rejection of mine?

I like your B option a lot. I was just posting other options for you to consider, but now that I'm on my computer and not on my phone, I see some undisclosed blue nuance in the first one I posted.

Here's another option, in addition to the 1.67 from above:

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
I like your B option a lot. I was just posting other options for you to consider, but now that I'm on my computer and not on my phone, I see some undisclosed blue nuance in the first one I posted.

Here's another option, in addition to the 1.67 from above:

Do you think it's worth a 15% price increase? I feel like I'm being too mathematical

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
So this is the one I've put on hold, color grade E:

However, I'm confused on why it looks so white compared to 99% of the other diamonds in D/E grade? Is this some kind of haze?

Here are 3 others in color grade D:

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
After spending a couple hours doing comparisons, I settled with this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-12690346

This is my newbie conclusion:

Pros:
- A bit cheaper (11%)
- A bit larger (3% face-up size increase)
- Better ideal scope (no table leakage)
- Better hearts vs chevron gap/symmetry
- Idealscope arrows are more symmetrical length-wise (11 o clock vs 5 o clock slight asymmetrical vs 2x more in previous one)
- Thinner girdle

Cons:
- 1.5 o'clock arrow looks a bit wider than others in default zoomed but could be due to the default angle of the image.
- Should be eye clean (more black inclusions on table but they are smaller)
- Table is a bit larger at 56.5% vs 56% (cons?)

Any how, I think I've spent way too much time analyzing this. I hope I've made the right choice on my first ever diamond purchase.

Thank you everyone for their help!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
After spending a couple hours doing comparisons, I settled with this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-12690346

Pros:
- A bit cheaper (11%)
- Idealscope arrows are more symmetrical length-wise (11 o clock vs 5 o clock slight asymmetrical vs 2x more in previous one)
- Thinner girdle

Cons:
- 1.5 o'clock arrow looks a bit wider than others in default zoomed but could be due to the default angle of the image.

Any how, I think I've spent way too much time analyzing this. I hope I've made the right choice on my first ever diamond purchase.

cert please

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
No clarity information, but I can not see any graining or other bad stuff - just the main reflecting all around inclusion which is ttoally eye clean ;)2

Thank you for checking! That's great to hear, my heart sank for a second when I read "reflecting all around".

Never knew diamond hunting was so exciting :appl:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for checking! That's great to hear, my heart sank for a second when I read "reflecting all around".

Never knew diamond hunting was so exciting :appl:
It is not bad - that one black spot is deep down and as the video rotates you see it many times. A VS inclusion reflecting a lot = SI1

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Pros:
- A bit cheaper (11%)
- Thinner girdle

Cons:

This one may have a touch of blue nuance (presence of boron making it a Type IIb diamond).

If it's not too late, maybe switch to a different option.

Check this one out:

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
This one may have a touch of blue nuance (presence of boron making it a Type IIb diamond).

If it's not too late, maybe switch to a different option.

Check this one out:

I have a few days or even up to a week to change the diamond, but can you describe where you noticed the blue nuance so I know what to look for?

It's more risky to pick one without the hearts and arrows pictures, no? I initially went with pure numbers and the ideal scope results revealed light leakage in the table.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I have a few days or even up to a week to change the diamond, but can you describe where you noticed the blue nuance so I know what to look for?

It's more risky to pick one without the hearts and arrows pictures, no? I initially went with pure numbers and the ideal scope results revealed light leakage in the table.

It can be hard to spot in diamonds graded as "colorless" by IGI, but the biggest tell is a silvery-grayish or grayish-blue appearance, which is easier to see from the side profile.

1.52 E in the top photo, 1.65 D in the bottom photo.

Screenshot_20211130-183448.png

Screenshot_20211130-183529.png

As for the True Hearts lineup, while it can be helpful to assess light return and leakage, sometimes the bigger price premium doesn't make sense. You can see the outstanding edge to edge brightness of the 1.65 and you can see the contrast pattern that forms rather nice arrows.
Are they "super ideal cut" perfect? No.
But, as Garry stated earlier, you are unlikely to notice a distinctive difference with unaided human eyes.

Last edited:

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
It can be hard to spot in diamonds graded as "colorless" by IGI, but the biggest tell is a silvery-grayish or grayish-blue appearance, which is easier to see from the side profile.

As for the True Hearts lineup, while it can be helpful to assess light return and leakage, sometimes the bigger price premium doesn't make sense. You can see the outstanding edge to edge brightness of the 1.65 and you can see the contrast pattern that forms rather nice arrows.
But, as Garry stated earlier, you are unlikely to notice a distinctive difference with unaided human eyes.

Hmm interesting yet very frustrating!

It definitely looks less yellow but that almost sounds like a win to be even more colorless than a "D". I guess the main concern is the after glow from UV.

Very close to switching to the one you posted, but kinda just want a true hearts cut with ideal scope results to be on the safe side though.

Last edited:

mikey2781

Rough_Rock

What would cause the diamond you posted to reflect in a lighter color? And is that a good thing? I'm comparing it to other "D" diamonds and it almost looks like the the vibrancy/contrast is set higher in the video or something (brighter, more colorful, yet less natural looking).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
What would cause the diamond you posted to reflect in a lighter color? And is that a good thing? I'm comparing it to other "D" diamonds and it almost looks like the the vibrancy/contrast is set higher in the video or something (brighter, more colorful, yet less natural looking).

It may very well be that the angles and proportions create an amazing "hall of mirrors" effect slightly better than many other diamonds do. It is entirely possible that the camera settings and lighting were set a little differently on that particular day. Whatever it is, it looks stunning.

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
It may very well be that the angles and proportions create an amazing "hall of mirrors" effect slightly better than many other diamonds do. It is entirely possible that the camera settings and lighting were set a little differently on that particular day. Whatever it is, it looks stunning.

I've placed the following on hold: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-13029333

How does that one look? They said the shipping is backed up so I still have some time to change my options.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

mikey2781

Rough_Rock
Looks good! Love the 40.8/34.6/57 combo - should be beautifully balanced between fire and brilliance.

Thanks for the heads up on the blue nuance!

The ring with the 1.56 is in production now.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the heads up on the blue nuance!

The ring with the 1.56 is in production now.

Excellent choice! - I think you made the right call by switching.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results