shape
carat
color
clarity

Which has better stats out of these two diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Diamond 1 (in my posession):

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.04 - 6.08 x 3.64 mm
Carat Weight: 0.81 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 60.1%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 33.0°
Crown Height: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None

Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue

Clarity Characteristics:
Crystal, Feather

HCA Score:

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 2.3 - Very Good

Diamond 2:

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.02 - 6.08 x 3.74 mm
Carat Weight: 0.83 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Clarity Characteristics:
Crystal, Feather, Cloud

HCA:
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.6 - Excellent

I have the first diamond (as some of you will already know) and it''s a lovely diamond. Just keeping an eye out and this second one popped up (just freshly graded). About $350 price difference.

Your thoughts welcomed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second is worth a look, no way to be able to judge it properly without images as you know and that angle combo requires Idealscope or ASET images.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just awaiting to hear back from the vendor re if it''s eyeclean.

Diamond 1 is very nice. Am loving the fluorescence - very visible in normal light.

Not sure if it''s worth buying diamond 2 as well and then keep the better one on a side by side comparison. Different cut angles and F vs H colour.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 4:06:37 PM
Author: Postie
Just awaiting to hear back from the vendor re if it's eyeclean.

Diamond 1 is very nice. Am loving the fluorescence - very visible in normal light.

Not sure if it's worth buying diamond 2 as well and then keep the better one on a side by side comparison. Different cut angles and F vs H colour.
Keep us posted! You could buy the second and do a visual comparison if you wanted.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
will probably order the second one too if it comes back eye-clean. Wear them side by side and keep the best one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 7:01:34 AM
will probably order the second one too if it comes back eye-clean. Wear them side by side and keep the best one.
Sounds like a plan!

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Has come back as eyeclean, return shipping is some $65 though.

Insignificant in the big scheme of things I guess.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you having diamonds shipped in from abroad Postie? Be careful of customs duties.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes, but it''s all taken care of and included in the price.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who are you buying from? A PS vendor?
1.gif

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
BN

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Received diamond #2, mounted.

It has an eye visible inclusion from the side on the girdle, otherwise a very nice stone with less visible inclusions than diamond #1.

My question is, why didn''t BN prong the inclusion? If it could be pronged I would likely keep it.

Will try and get some pics up later too.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 2:46:34 PM
Received diamond #2, mounted.

It has an eye visible inclusion from the side on the girdle, otherwise a very nice stone with less visible inclusions than diamond #1.

My question is, why didn't BN prong the inclusion? If it could be pronged I would likely keep it.

Will try and get some pics up later too.
Sometimes it can be best apparently depending on the type of inclusion to not put the prong over it as this might add stress to a more vulnerable area, if it is directly on the girdle this might be a possibility - but from what I understand this is rare and something that is the call of a skilled setter. Is it a feather type inclusion? Also it is possible that maybe they just didn't think to prong it.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think it''s a crystal.

Raises a couple of question marks:

1. If they didn''t prong it in order to protect a vunerable area - did they not think to say so when they said it was totally eyeclean from table and sides.

2. How any ring setter would look at the diamond and not prong it is plain daft unless as above.

I will post pics and send to BN also.

iraweissman

Rough_Rock
Trade
It's really impossible to say. There are so many factors that can't be known simply by reading the "stats."

For example:

1) Both are SI1, but maybe one is a black SI1 dead center while the other is a clear feather on the girdle that can be covered by a prong?

2) Both are Fluorescent. Sometimes that can absolutely kill the stones vitality, other times it doesn't make a difference at all. Statistically speaking, the H has a better chance of looking better with the fluorescence, but it's no guarantee. And when it's your money, better to be sure than to depend on statistics.

3) Don't trust "Return of light" certs. They're all garbage. The technology isn't quite there yet.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, but I never recommend buying Strong Blue fluorescence sight unseen. Truth is, I wouldn't buy anything less than a VS1 sight unseen either. I've seen plenty of black VS2 center PKs that are glaringly obvious to the naked eye. Bottom line is, you really need to see a diamond before you buy it. The cert is only half the story.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results