Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very similar, but not identical, models from the same manufacturer, Martin.
They are also very close in price.
Please listen to all of this 3 minute video.
If you can, use headphones, earbuds, or a good monitor to better hear the differences.

Also, how would you describe the difference?
For example, the D-28 sounds ___________, and the HD-28 sounds ___________.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both (to my ears) beautiful but I prefer the HD. It sounds brighter to me.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
d-28 by a mile.... the hd-28 to my ears on these speakers sounds just a little tinny compared to the d-28.
The hd would appeal to those that like the polk audio sound.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
My ears say the D28 sounds brighter and more like American music. The HD28 is a little richer /deeper and sounds like flamenco and tango.

I'm a music lover but have zero musical training.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my son says HD-28 he thinks its louder and has a little more vintage sound, as a FYI my son does know quite a bit about guitars even has his own UTube channel playing music, but of course this is just his opinion as you say Kenny people vary

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Completely unknowledgeable about guitars (but used to sing with choirs, and play piano), but I prefer the D-28 and it sounds richer, fuller, and rounder to me, whereas the HD-28 is brighter and almost twangier.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
They are very similar, but not identical, models from the same manufacturer, Martin.
They are also very close in price.
Please listen to all of this 3 minute video.
If you can, use headphones, earbuds, or a good monitor to better hear the differences.

Also, how would you describe the difference?
For example, the D-28 sounds more pure ___________, and the HD-28 sounds more engineered___________.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 2 cents (remembering that 1 and 2 cents are no longer legal tender here :mrgreen2: )
I don't know squat except i know what i like
im listening on my samsung 6, which is how i mostly listen to Bruce (Springsteen) also a very talented acoustic guitar player

I much prefer the HD- 28 one.
It has a much richer more pleasing depth of tone.
The D-28 sounded a bit thin and tinny

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, there is no wrong answer here, even among experienced guitar players.
Some prefer one, some the other.
Though they are similar, they are both strong sellers so Martin keeps making both.

Often players prefer one based on what style of music they play, and whether or not they sing as they play.
In acoustic bluegrass bands (with no amplification) the guitarist needs a guitar with strong projection so it can be heard over those very loud banjos.
Even then, some bluegrass players will insist the D-28 does that better, while others insist the HD-28 is best.
Go figure.

FWIW, I have an HD-28 but love them both.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The D28 does sound richer and fuller, notes appear to resonate longer in the instrument than the other guitar, especially the lower notes. HD28 sounds brighter and more modern to me.

I prefer the D28.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I’m with @DAF. I hear a resonance and depth with the D28 that appeals to my ears a bit more than the brighter sound of the HD28. I’m not an expert, but I did grow up with a jazz guitarist brother and tons of musicians traipsing in and out of our house into the basement recording studio. My parents were Uber tolerant of my brothers musical passions.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
To me the D28 sounds fuller and richer, and I prefer it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
FWIW, there is no wrong answer here, even among experienced guitar players.
Some prefer one, some the other.
Though they are similar, they are both strong sellers so Martin keeps making both.

Often players prefer one based on what style of music they play, and whether or not they sing as they play.
In acoustic bluegrass bands (with no amplification) the guitarist needs a guitar with strong projection so it can be heard over those very loud banjos.
Even then, some bluegrass players will insist the D-28 does that better, while others insist the HD-28 is best.
Go figure.

FWIW, I have an HD-28 but love them both.

I grew up listening to a really good player on a D-28 so the sound to me is what an acoustic guitar should sound like.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up listening to a really good player on a D-28 so the sound to me is what an acoustic guitar should sound like.

Okay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results