shape
carat
color
clarity

Which gem labs test for oil in spinels

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I was reading this article from Richard Hughes about oil treatment in spinels to enhance clarity.

Then I took my two red spinels out of the box and had the very strong impression that one of them looked significantly less included and messy when I purchased it 18 months ago. It has a GRS certificate that states no thermal treatment detected but I wonder now…do they even test for oil?

Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day/evening!

VR

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
AGL will test oil treatment, use prestige ID report or higher, that's how I found one of my tsavorite is oil treated.

Yes yes of course, I know :) the stone in question is not worth the 670$ cost (370$ Prestige report + 300$ Roundtrip with Fedex) and it already has a GRS report, I want to know if I can claim a refund given that it looks oiled based on how bad the clarity has deteriorated.

AGL, Gübelin and SSEF will, without a doubt, test for oiling. Lotus started doing it as well. I wonder if GRS does it, I could not find it in the list of treatment they test for in spinels.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure whether you can contest something you purchased 18 months ago. That time frame is too late.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would first contact GRS and inquire as to whether the report you have included testing for oil.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I would first contact GRS and inquire as to whether the report you have included testing for oil.

Will do, absolutely :) and I will revert with the answer

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure whether you can contest something you purchased 18 months ago. That time frame is too late.

If I end up being right about oil treatment and lack of disclosure, I will discuss the matter with the vendor. I don’t want to make any unfair accusation, but had the stone looked like it does now at the time of the purchase, I would not have offered for than 50$. I paid 40 times that price :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
had the stone looked like it does now at the time of the purchase, I would not have offered for than 50$.
I am very sorry to read this! I hope GRS will have an answer for you.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I just came across this thread and I’m curious of the outcome since I have just purchased a red spinel.

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I just came across this thread and I’m curious of the outcome since I have just purchased a red spinel.

I've learned oiling is prevalent with the Burmese material, especially neon colored as they are typically more included. It was one of my concerns during my search for mine and I insisted on having a Lotus report as I knew for a fact they tested for oil treatment.

I'm curious as well of the outcome here.

E H

Rough_Rock
I ve experience sth similar several year ago. I bought a sapphire from a old friend dealer. It came with certificate from an international lab which is seller friendly (they re famous for giving trade color to so so gem color). I think yall know which lab im talking about.

Then, i recert the sapphire to lotus and it came back as an oiled stone. The dealer was shocked when i informed it as he claimed that he personally submit the stone to that seller friendly lab. Long story short, he resubmitted the stone to gubelin and it also came back as oiled.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Yes yes of course, I know :) the stone in question is not worth the 670$ cost (370$ Prestige report + 300$ Roundtrip with Fedex) and it already has a GRS report, I want to know if I can claim a refund given that it looks oiled based on how bad the clarity has deteriorated.

AGL, Gübelin and SSEF will, without a doubt, test for oiling. Lotus started doing it as well. I wonder if GRS does it, I could not find it in the list of treatment they test for in spinels.

To be honest, if you had the stone for 18 months and just say it has deteriorated, looks like it has more inclusions than 18 months ago without a report saying it is oiled, I would not give you a refund and 99.9% of vendors would not.

Now, if you had a report saying it was oiled and it was stated as no treatment, then no question, I would give a refund, and most honest vendors would. Though, if this vendor is from Burma or Vietnam, that is a coin toss whether they would refund.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw this thread is almost a year old.

Hope you found out about the status of treatment of your stone.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw this thread is almost a year old.

Hope you found out about the status of treatment of your stone.

I haven’t, been too busy on other things. But I am 100% sure it is (was) oiled, it just looks like a hot mess, and I know for a fact that I would never bought it had it looked like it does now. I take this as a learning experience

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Over two years is a long time to think the stone has changed, as is 18 months, especially if it has so very slowly. But I will take your word for it. Unfortunately, I know gemstone dealers will not, given the time frame.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Over two years is a long time to think the stone has changed, as is 18 months, especially if it has so very slowly. But I will take your word for it. Unfortunately, I know gemstone dealers will not, given the time frame.

I don’t know anything about oiled spinels but I can imagine it would take a while for it to evaporate or leak out kind of like with emeralds maybe?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, problem is that my gems are all in a vault so I don’t see them everyday, only one stays at home at any given time - and it’s always a ruby :twisted:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know anything about oiled spinels but I can imagine it would take a while for it to evaporate or leak out kind of like with emeralds maybe?

Yes, same principal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results