shape
carat
color
clarity

Which engagement ring do you prefer?

Which engagement ring style do you prefer?

• Yellow diamond

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Sapphire

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

Sapphire127

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I have decided to start from scratch on an engagement ring. I have fallen in love with two different ring styles (one that’s a solitaire yellow diamond, and one sapphire). Please note I’m just asking about the setting and stone type, not the quality of the stones themselves. The stones I will be sourcing will be slightly different than the ones in the photos.
DA0A4094-1F22-451C-9990-C93F11AB77F3.jpeg 967E7032-3426-4801-A30A-2F80E2B4BB8C.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are so different that it's hard to say. I love yellow diamonds so that would be my vote

Sapphire127

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs yeah that’s exactly why I’m torn! They’re really different, I love sapphires, but diamonds have such a classic engagement feel. Both my partner and I love both so much.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First one will be easier to match with bands, second one is more of a traditional look IMO. It really is all down to personal taste, they’re both pretty, if it was me, I’d chose the first one. :D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So difficult! I love them both but voted for the sapphire because it has more presence. I’m also very ocd matchy and I feel like the sapphire goes with everything.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
God a hate colored stone solitaires :lol:

not that I’m sure you wouldn’t do an amazing job on it. I just hate them.
Sapphire all the way!

Sapphire127

Rough_Rock
@MRBXXXFVVS1 I love vintage glamour. I’m a huge fan of old Hollywood stars and love simple elegance. I have always wanted something unique, hence why I don’t like normal diamonds. I don’t really like super sparkly jewelry, I prefer something more simple and understated.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have the same view as Niel about colored stone solitaires but now I love them. I am also obsessive about my rings being spotlessly clean and couldn't cope with all the nooks and crannies of the second setting, for an everyday wear ring. And all those prongs waiting to loosen and snag... Clean simple solitaire all the way for me.

Sapphire127

Rough_Rock
@MRBXXXFVVS1 That’s a great idea too!
@MillieLou I’m very particular too about cleanliness. I’ve seen lots of sapphires with color zoning that have also made me crazy.
but @AprilBaby makes a good point of matching with clothes. Such a hard choice!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends. What is your skin tone: warm or cool? What is your favorite color?

Sapphire works for me because I’m cool toned and love blue. Yellow would make me look sickly. However, if you have warm skin tone, yellow may look gorgeous on you.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Both gorgeous--but I'd choose the colored diamond and pair it with some interesting bands.

cheers--Sharon

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For wearing all day every day for the rest of your life, I vote simple and sturdy -- i.e., the first one.

Can put a trillion/trilliant-cut diamond on each shoulder if you want to get fancy.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphires are beautiful, but I do appreciate the hardness, toughness, and stability of a diamond for long term everyday wear.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coloured diamond is my preference. Nothing wrong with a halo blue sapphire but CDs are so incredibly dispersive. They never fail to mesmerize me.

kirkpatrickel

Rough_Rock
I love the sapphire ring; I think it’s so classic and would be easily dressed up or down. The yellow solitaire is beautiful, but I’m partial to blue. =)2

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size is important to me so a lot of my decision would factor on size. The yellow diamond would be my preference due to how sparkly and bright it will appear unless it is significantly smaller than the blue sapphire. It will look fantastic with bands.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking as someone who almost got into bed with a Tiffany solitaire yellow diamond for their up-coming birthday....I say yellow diamond soli!

I think yellow diamond solitaires are very different to colored gem solitaires. They look like diamonds - and return light very differently. They can definitely carry that level of solitaire attention!

Sapphire127

Rough_Rock
@LisaRN yeah, size is huge for me too! I’m thinking at least 1.5 carats for the yellow diamond, but hopefully closer to 2 carats if i go with that route. The sapphire I’ve been looking at is 2.75 carats with a large face.

@mrs-b thats a great idea, I love carre cut!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LisaRN yeah, size is huge for me too! I’m thinking at least 1.5 carats for the yellow diamond, but hopefully closer to 2 carats if i go with that route. The sapphire I’ve been looking at is 2.75 carats with a large face.

@mrs-b thats a great idea, I love carre cut!

Super elegant! And no chance of it being confused for anything other than an engagement ring at that point!

This could be so unique and individual!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the yellow diamond, but I like colored stones in a halo of white diamonds rather than stand alone settings.

pebbles7

Rough_Rock
@MRBXXXFVVS1 I love vintage glamour. I’m a huge fan of old Hollywood stars and love simple elegance. I have always wanted something unique, hence why I don’t like normal diamonds. I don’t really like super sparkly jewelry, I prefer something more simple and understated.

From this description, it would be the first ring. Remember that at some point you will have a wedding ring that will enhance it.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also don’t usually like colored stone solis. But the yellow diamond screams classic elegant and also durable as opposed to the sapphire ring with all of those prongs.
I love me some blue but when I wear red or some other non-complimentary color, I just can’t pull my sapphires out.
I love love idea of adding some white diamonds for contrast and presence since size is important to you also.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results