Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Emerald Cut?

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Hi all - I am narrowing down my choices in my search for a center stone for my girlfriend's engagement ring. I am looking to spend around $30,000 and wanted an emerald cut with the following characteristics:

2.6-3.0 carat
G or better color
VS1 or better clarity
60-70% table
60-70% depth
1.3 or higher L/W ratio
None/faint fluoro

I was hoping to get opinions to see if I should modify those characteristics at all. Also, I found 4 stones that I was choosing between and I definitely need help to make a final selection as I'm still a little new to evaluating diamonds:

~$28,500 2.72 ct G-VS1:
https://www.solomonbrothers.com/diamonddetail/9F7F3568/shop?affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE&utm_source=PriceScope

~$29,600 2.90 ct. G-VS1:
https://www.solomonbrothers.com/diamonddetail/834YY4H9/shop?affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE&utm_source=PriceScope

~$32,400 3.05 ct. G-VS1:
http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/Results/D31218910

~$29,000 2.62 ct. G-VVS2:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=7212990763
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
Okay, first of all, you have to look at sites that have photos of the stones. You cannot pick an emerald cut diamond or any fancy shape diamond without photos. The two sites with the most photos will be James Allen and Enchanted Diamonds. Once you do a search, you will see why I say that pictures are necessary. Good Old Gold usually has some EC's, but they will call in stones for you if they don't have what you want. Their videos and light return info are very helpful.

I would not use the parameters you listed. I wouldn't consider over 65% for the table. I prefer 60 or less, but those are harder to find.

There usually are far more stones in the lower end of a carat range than the upper end, so we'll have to see what is available. I'll take a quick look for you.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
Okay, this is a very nice one if you will consider H color (nice table size, nice crown height):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.72-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-387319

Pretty G (but I still like the H more):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-990573

Nice but faces up smaller than the two above, so I wouldn't choose it (diameter is very important):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1051265

Still looking....

Okay, didn't see anything in your specs and budget at ED or GOG.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
diamondseeker2006|1460593782|4019041 said:
Okay, this is a very nice one if you will consider H color (nice table size, nice crown height):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.72-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-387319

Pretty G (but I still like the H more):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-990573

Nice but faces up smaller than the two above, so I wouldn't choose it (diameter is very important):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1051265

Still looking....

Okay, didn't see anything in your specs and budget at ED or GOG.
Great thanks for the suggestions!! Is there a visible difference between G & H?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
They are very close. I honestly would do H unless the person is very color sensitive. I think H is fine in that size, though. We have people here who have lower colors than that in emerald cuts, but I think H is a nice choice for an engagement ring.
 

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 27, 2016
Messages
823
Ooooooh that H is lovely. That would be my pick.

The color wouldn't give me any pause. It is very unlikely that you'd be able to tell the difference.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
I think I can slightly see the difference between the G and H above. I think it's in my head at this point!
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
My 2 top choices and reasons why:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-757463
Really crips, the long side of the facets have a lovely on/off flash throughout without any missing or dead spots. Would like an ASET to make sure the shorter ends perform well too.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.63-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-423983
Really like this one as it is just turning on/off everywhere with very even and well spaced steps but I don't know why it doesn't look as crisp. Again, I would request an ASET on this one too.

No third contender.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460647604|4019253 said:
My 2 top choices and reasons why:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-757463
Really crips, the long side of the facets have a lovely on/off flash throughout without any missing or dead spots. Would like an ASET to make sure the shorter ends perform well too.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.63-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-423983
Really like this one as it is just turning on/off everywhere with very even and well spaced steps but I don't know why it doesn't look as crisp. Again, I would request an ASET on this one too.

No third contender.
I really like the first one, I just wish it was a little larger. I've read that it's hard to judge emeralds off of the numbers alone and that you need to see them in person. When I look at diamonds in person, is there anything specific I should look for or will I just be able to easily "see" which diamonds look good?
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
rmvfc32513|1460650515|4019287 said:
I really like the first one, I just wish it was a little larger. I've read that it's hard to judge emeralds off of the numbers alone and that you need to see them in person. When I look at diamonds in person, is there anything specific I should look for or will I just be able to easily "see" which diamonds look good?
Don't be fooled by the carat weight numbers. If you compare the dimensions, it measures 9.0 x 6.7 mm which is comparable or even larger than most that you are considering. This is why many advise to shop by the mm size, not the carat weight. If you have trained your eyes by looking at many ECs of various qualities, yes, you can easily "see" which ones look good. Without such experience, it is easy to mistake a mediocre EC to be well cut. I look to see how the steps light up (turns on/off as it rotates) and whether there is too much darkness or lightness / white area (potential leakage areas) all clumped together.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460654123|4019290 said:
rmvfc32513|1460650515|4019287 said:
I really like the first one, I just wish it was a little larger. I've read that it's hard to judge emeralds off of the numbers alone and that you need to see them in person. When I look at diamonds in person, is there anything specific I should look for or will I just be able to easily "see" which diamonds look good?
Don't be fooled by the carat weight numbers. If you compare the dimensions, it measures 9.0 x 6.7 mm which is comparable or even larger than most that you are considering. This is why many advise to shop by the mm size, not the carat weight. If you have trained your eyes by looking at many ECs of various qualities, yes, you can easily "see" which ones look good. Without such experience, it is easy to mistake a mediocre EC to be well cut. I look to see how the steps light up (turns on/off as it rotates) and whether there is too much darkness or lightness / white area (potential leakage areas) all clumped together.
Thanks a lot, I wasn't aware of that. If I'm looking for an rectangular emerald cut, is there a mm range that I should look for so that I don't buy a diamond at the bottom of my range, let's say 2.6 ct, that looks smaller than it actually is?
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460647604|4019253 said:
My 2 top choices and reasons why:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-757463
Really crips, the long side of the facets have a lovely on/off flash throughout without any missing or dead spots. Would like an ASET to make sure the shorter ends perform well too.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.63-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-423983
Really like this one as it is just turning on/off everywhere with very even and well spaced steps but I don't know why it doesn't look as crisp. Again, I would request an ASET on this one too.

No third contender.
With the 2.51 diamond's GIA report, I noticed a relatively large feather on the face of the stone that I think is slightly visible in the diamond image. Do you think this is concerning?
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
rmvfc32513|1460672265|4019407 said:
If I'm looking for an rectangular emerald cut, is there a mm range that I should look for so that I don't buy a diamond at the bottom of my range, let's say 2.6 ct, that looks smaller than it actually is?

With the 2.51 diamond's GIA report, I noticed a relatively large feather on the face of the stone that I think is slightly visible in the diamond image. Do you think this is concerning?
There are no hard and fast rules for ct = mm size, and I would not discount a diamond that is a little to small for its carat weight if it has great performance. The below is presuming the standard L/W ratio, but then again, we know that the ratios vary greatly when shopping in real life.
2.5 ct EC = 9 X 6.5 mm
3.0 ct EC = 9.5 x 7 mm

Clarity can look scary on the report and the hugely magnified videos. Resize the video so that the diamond is now 9 x 6.6 mm (real life size) on your monitor and ask yourself whether you can see it. I've never been able to see anything in ECs if it is a VS1 and higher.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460724837|4019649 said:
rmvfc32513|1460672265|4019407 said:
If I'm looking for an rectangular emerald cut, is there a mm range that I should look for so that I don't buy a diamond at the bottom of my range, let's say 2.6 ct, that looks smaller than it actually is?

With the 2.51 diamond's GIA report, I noticed a relatively large feather on the face of the stone that I think is slightly visible in the diamond image. Do you think this is concerning?
There are no hard and fast rules for ct = mm size, and I would not discount a diamond that is a little to small for its carat weight if it has great performance. The below is presuming the standard L/W ratio, but then again, we know that the ratios vary greatly when shopping in real life.
2.5 ct EC = 9 X 6.5 mm
3.0 ct EC = 9.5 x 7 mm

Clarity can look scary on the report and the hugely magnified videos. Resize the video so that the diamond is now 9 x 6.6 mm (real life size) on your monitor and ask yourself whether you can see it. I've never been able to see anything in ECs if it is a VS1 and higher.
Thank you for those measurements. So essentially, if both a 2.5 ct emerald and 2.7 ct emerald have measurements of 9x6.5, the 2.7 ct won't actually look any larger?
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
rmvfc32513|1460727618|4019674 said:
Thank you for those measurements. So essentially, if both a 2.5 ct emerald and 2.7 ct emerald have measurements of 9x6.5, the 2.7 ct won't actually look any larger?
The difference is extremely small and difficult to tell apart unless you have them side by side. I think the 2.75 ct will measure 0.2 mm larger. Please do not sweat such small numbers - of utmost importance is the sparkle factor. It is extremely difficult enough to find a well cut EC. For rounds, yes, every bit of mm counts because they are plentiful but not for fancy cuts like ECs.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460728188|4019677 said:
rmvfc32513|1460727618|4019674 said:
Thank you for those measurements. So essentially, if both a 2.5 ct emerald and 2.7 ct emerald have measurements of 9x6.5, the 2.7 ct won't actually look any larger?
The difference is extremely small and difficult to tell apart unless you have them side by side. I think the 2.75 ct will measure 0.2 mm larger. Please do not sweat such small numbers - of utmost importance is the sparkle factor. It is extremely difficult enough to find a well cut EC. For rounds, yes, every bit of mm counts because they are plentiful but not for fancy cuts like ECs.
If I choose the 2.5 ct. stone that was linked to me above, do you think I'm making a good choice? I'm not sure I trust myself enough to pick out a well cut EC in person
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
Pick 3 ECs from James Allen, then contact them and ask for ASET images. Wait for the results, post it and then we'll see whether it confirms what we see. Do NOT purchase without ASET imaging first. The first 3 ASETs are free so choose wisely.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460748406|4019789 said:
Pick 3 ECs from James Allen, then contact them and ask for ASET images. Wait for the results, post it and then we'll see whether it confirms what we see. Do NOT purchase without ASET imaging first. The first 3 ASETs are free so choose wisely.

Great thank you so much for the help. I found 3 more that I thought might work, which 2 should I also request ASET imaging for?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-990573

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.50-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-981510

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.50-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-302706
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
All 3 options will not ASET well; one has too much white and the other 2 have too much black. I would look for other options. As I wrote earlier, I did not see any potentially good performing ECs that meet your specifications, which is why I only suggested 2 ECs.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460759446|4019817 said:
All 3 options will not ASET well; one has too much white and the other 2 have too much black. I would look for other options. As I wrote earlier, I did not see any potentially good performing ECs that meet your specifications, which is why I only suggested 2 ECs.
Okay, I requested the ASET image, I'll post when I receive it. Would you recommend that I get the setting from JA as well or from somewhere else? From what I saw, they didn't have what I was looking for so I was going to request a custom setting similar to the below:

http://www.laurenbjewelry.com/diamonds-engagement/lepozzi/lepozzi-2-12-ct-emerald-cut-engagement-ring.html
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
I hate to put it bluntly to you but you are wasting your 3 free ASETs by going with those 3. I would cancel that request with JA because I can tell that they are duds from the videos.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460771172|4019885 said:
I hate to put it bluntly to you but you are wasting your 3 free ASETs by going with those 3. I would cancel that request with JA because I can tell that they are duds from the videos.
I didn't request the ASET images for the three I provided the link for, I only requested the ASET image for the 2.51 ct. G-VS1 EC that you recommended. Apologies for the confusion. But in regards to having JA do a custom setting, is that safe or is there another place you'd recommend?
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
Pick 2 more ECs for the ASET because you can only make the request once. Personally, I'm not a fan of JA's workmanship although there are some who are very happy with it. Look at the actual pictures and not the fancy CAD renditions to see whether it is up to your expectations. It is normal to have the setting done by the diamond vendor or a different vendor.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460773107|4019891 said:
Pick 2 more ECs for the ASET because you can only make the request once. Personally, I'm not a fan of JA's workmanship although there are some who are very happy with it. Look at the actual pictures and not the fancy CAD renditions to see whether it is up to your expectations. It is normal to have the setting done by the diamond vendor or a different vendor.
Ok will do. In regards to the setting, I'm in the NYC area so I guess I could go somewhere local for the setting or try Good Old Gold on LI, which I've read some positive reviews about. My only concern about going to a different vendor for the setting was if the center stone was damaged during the process.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,462
It is very rare for the diamond to be damaged during the setting process if the bench is skilled and your diamond is clean. You can purchase your own insurance to cover this for your peace of mind or sometimes the vendor gives you this option.
 

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
26
Chrono|1460799003|4019947 said:
It is very rare for the diamond to be damaged during the setting process if the bench is skilled and your diamond is clean. You can purchase your own insurance to cover this for your peace of mind or sometimes the vendor gives you this option.
Thank you all so much for the help thus far. I've received the ASET image for the 2.51 ct EC you've recommended and look forward to hearing your feedback as to whether or not I should move forward with the purchase! I've posted the ASET image to the thread below:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-i-purchase-this-stone.222262/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-i-purchase-this-stone.222262/[/URL]
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top