shape
carat
color
clarity

which dimensions? worth $800?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
I am visiting an independent appraiser today, and I will see these 2 through idealscope,etc. Which dimensions sound better?

Note: Stone 1 is $800 more. Is it just to have the GIA cert? The HCA says stone #2 by far. Both are eye clean, but 1 inclusion can be seen with a loupe on each. They both sparkle real nice to me. I am taking them to an appraiser to see the light leakage and get a second opinion.

Both are G color, SI2

1) GIA
1.31c
7.01 x 7.05 x 4.35
61.9% depth
57% table
35.5 crown angle
41 pav angle
no culet
girdle: thin-medium, faceted (3.0%)
very good polish, excellent sym
no fluor

2) EGL USA
7.08 x 7.12 x 4.29
60.4 depth
56 table
34.1 crown angle
40.1 pav angle
no culet
girdle: medium
very good polish, good sym
no fluor

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the numbers, the second looks best. But you will have all the info, and the expertise (appraiser) with you to decide which one is truly best!

And yes, the first stone is more because of the GIA grading.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone 2 looks better, EGL USA grading might be correct depending on the lab, but I think the G in symm is pushing down the price of it too. A G in symm and with that low a pav angle, will probably have some serious obstruction issue, probably not the best stone for a ring.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops, I read the PA as 41, (is that a typo?) and missed the G Sym.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Cleve,

See what happens, personally I am not keen on either but see what the appraiser says.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
No Typos... the HCA rates stone 2 as a 1.3 - within TIC range. I can see on the graph that if it were a higher PA, it would be within the "ideal" category. What do you all mean by obstruction, and not the best for a ring?

The Good for sym? What are they grading. I understand "symmetry", are they just referencing the numbers they already told you, and evaluating them? Or is there another "something" that affects symmetry.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
The symmetry grade refers to the variance of the angles and how the facets work together. For instance the EGL stone lists a 34.1 degree crown angle--this is the AVERAGE of eight facets. A stone with excellent or ideal symmetry will have little variance of those eight numbers (say 34.0-34.2), while a stone with good symmetry will have a much wider variance in those numbers in relation to the average. In other words, the facets aren't at the same angle compared to the others. In some stones, you may never really notice, in others it may affect how the light performs--less "sparkle".

Symmetry also takes into account things like how parallel the table and girdle are in relation to each other, if the culet is centered, are all similar facets the exact same shape etc. (all these are results of the angles)

EDT: Here is a link to a pdf from GIA's website that discussed polish and symmetry. Page 5, 6 & 8 have a good graphics

http://www.gia.edu/diamondcut/pdf/polish_and_symmetry.pdf

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
Well - going to the appaiser helped, but basically they made me more ready to just finalize this thing.
The thing is, I don''t think I want to finalize either one of these. The GIA seemed a bit nicer/sparklier/more eye clean. But I think there is a better stone for the money. If I adjust the prices to include local tax (since the internet wouldn''t have tax), the EGL USA stone is $5,645 and the GIA is $6,603.

PLEASE HELP in finding a better stone for this type of money!!!

My criteria:
VS2-SI1 (I don''t think I want SI2 unless it is REALLY eye clean)
G-H (I feel like I would get an I, but the appaiser thought it would be noticable).... ??
1.25+ (ideally above 1.33)
great/excellent/ideal, whatever you all call it

I don''t need a hearts and arrows, but whatever you all think is out there for me... I am dying to get this part of the process over with!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
cleve - did you try doing a Pricescope search with these specs? That''s probably the best place to start...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''s your top dollar? And I would consider an I, in a very well cut stone.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
Since I am spending a good amount on the setting, I would go up to $7,000 max! I really want to be under $6,500, but I wouldn''t pass up a beauty for a bit more.

I have a stone on hold at whiteflash.

H
SI2
Whiteflash ACA
61.5 depth
55.5 table
34.5 crown angle
40.7 pav angle
thin-medium girdle
6.93 x 6.96 x 4.28
ideal polish
ideal sym
pointed culet
negligible flour

My computer isn''t allowing me to post pics on here for some reason, but the idealscope and aset are online and they look very nice. The guy is checking to make sure it is eye clean for me right now.
The stone is within my budget. What do you guys think? Am I sacrificing too much size for cut? Should I not get an SI2? Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results