shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Howard Fisher

Rough_Rock
I have a choice between two diamonds from different dealers. The first is 1.53 carats, G, VS2, 7.55-7.48-4.55, depth 60.2%, table 57% (4.32), crown angle 33.2, crown height 13.9%, pavilion angle 41.1, pavilion depth 43.4%, girdle 0.7-1.9% faceted, culet 0.6%, polish and symmetry both good, no fluorescence. The price is subject to haggling but should be around $12,000.
The second rock is 1.51 carats, H, SI1, 7.39-7.49-4.51, depth 60.6%, table 58.9% (4.38), crown angle 34.4, crown height 14.0%, pavilion angle 40.9, pavilion depth 43.0%, girdle 0.9-1.7% faceted, culet 1.0%, polish and symmetry both very good, no fluourscence. The price is $10,050.
I recognize that the first stone is one grade higher in both clarity and color. But, taking into account the other measurements, is either stone significantly better than the other in that regard. Also, what would be a reasonable price for the first stone, and is the price for the second one reasonable? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
smile.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Howard I think there will be little to choose from in the look of the 2 diamonds- they will both be fine stones cut wise.
Symmetry diff favours the H stone, but price and color and spread favour the first - G for me.
Garry

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Lawmax, the first one looks a bit more attractive and the price is reasonable for the data. I also like that the table is smaller than 58%.However if the price is an issue you can consider the second one too. Just make sure that it is not overgraded (first of all color and clarity)

Howard Fisher

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response. Does the price on the first diamond look right, or is it a little too high?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
With that information, the first stone is looking much more attractive. EGL can sometimes be off on the color and clarity grading as well.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It really depends where you're getting the stones.1. The source - Internet or Local dealers?For the Local it looks not bad; for the Internet it can be a few hundreeds lower.2. Grading Report - Are the data you've posted from AGS or other reports? Diamonds with AGS and GIA reports usually cost more. If it is nor AGS, nor GIA than you have to make sure with independent expert that the stones are matches the reports.

Howard Fisher

Rough_Rock
Both stones are local, the first from a local dealer that also is on the Web (DiamondTrade.com) and the second a jewelry store. The first stone has a GIA Grading Report, with the details being provide by a Sarin Report that I watched being done. The second stone is from a certificate from EGL, with all of the the detailed information obtained from EGL. I am going to look into the second stone more, as the detailed information does not match up with the EGL Report (I know there can be some differences, but the stone size, depth, table and crown and pavilion percentages are off by as much as 0.6-1.0%).

RT oval.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results