Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Which diamond would you pick?

Hello to all! I have been actively searching for the “perfect” cushion since July. It took a lot of fun research and viewing to finally determine the characteristics that I wanted in my cushion.

The guidelines I gave Jonathan at GOG to look for are:
1. Color D-F, but prefer a D
2. Clarity down to an eyeclean SI1
3. Elongated in shape
4. 3.25 – 3.5ish carat weight
5. Nice crown
6. Measurements approx. 10mm x 8mm
7. Larger facets (no crushed ice look)
8. Prefer no culet – will accept a very small one
9. A stone with terrific brilliance, fire and scintillation
10. Excellent cut
11. GIA cert
12. One that draws your eye into the stone (like a finely cut asscher does)

Jonathan went diamond shopping for me and has found 5 diamonds for me to view. He did a video and labeled the diamonds 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 … but did NOT tell me any details about the diamonds. The only thing he has shared is that one of the diamonds has a strong blue fluorescence without any negative optical effects (oily/milky/cloudy). Oh… and of the first 4 that he brought back with him the other day, 3 are extraordinary and one is average. I don’t know anything about the 5th diamond.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/cushions.wmv

I have posted a link to the video and would like all of your opinions as to which stone you think is best. Sound like fun? It sure does to me!!!

Also, my husband and I met with Leon a few weeks back and have designed “the ring”. He is a real sweetheart and his work is… what can I say… impeccable!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my!! Was that fun! I haven''t had that much fun since Kaleigh showed us her oval video!

Well, the three outstanding ones, as far as I am concerned, are #1, 4, and 5. Each of them has advantages. I think the shape preference would depend on how you are setting it. If I were setting the stone alone in a pave halo, I''d choose the more square #4. If it will have sidestones, I''d choose #1 or #5.

When the video first started, I thought there couldn''t be a better one than #1. But then, gosh, #4 and #5 came along! Of number 1 and 5, #1 has more pinfire flashes and #5 has a little larger flashes. I think that is a personal preference issue..both are gorgeous! I guess I might lean toward #5 since is is larger appearing. But as I may have told Kaleigh, just have Jonathan send me your second choice!!!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that was fun to watch. Tough for me, at first I was like #1, but then saw #4 and #5. So it comes down to letting your eyes do the choosing. I know it''s a hard choice. You have great contenders here, and I look forward to seeing which one is the ONE. Jonathon''s video''s are very helpful in the selection process, as you may already know, he did one for me when I was selecting an Oval. Good Luck!!!!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in cushion heaven right now!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

If you were buying one of those diamonds for say... me, I''d be all over #4!! I love, love, love the shape of it! BUT, you specifically said you wanted elongated, so it HAS to be #1! That cushion is stunning!!! W
30.gif
W!! Can''t wait to see it on your finger!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh that was fun - I picked #5. It is a different cut than mine - I know 5 is a quad one but it reminded me a lot of mine with the chunks but #1 actually reminded me the most of mine with the pinflash and the overall shape and table.... if you combined 1 and 5 it reminds me of mine LOL How can I not love that??? I don''t recall which was my least favorite but it was one of the middle ones.... "bow tie" doesn''t scare me off but it has to have other things going for it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was having trouble getting the vids to buffer so i didn''t wait to see #2 but I just did... and I knew I didn''t like the big hugeo table on #2 but I also really don''t like that super shallow crown either. blech. They''ve been making a lot like that lately too.... someone posted one the other day with a 71 table!!! I not only love my 53, I''d probably love a 43 hahaha :D I have GOT to see the facet plots for these stones....

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Wow! If I was choosing, I''d definately get #4, but since you want elongated, then I''d go #1, then #5. There''s something about the way the facets on #5 look like little claws on the outside facets that isn''t my fave. I swear I saw a little bit of a lion (ie the mane) in the sparkes.

So is #1 the one with flour?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just checked the poll and I find the answers rather strange. Everyone here has said #1,4, and 5 are best. Yet there are 5 votes for #3 on the poll???? That makes no sense to me unless someone is wanting the good stones and trying to get you to get one of the bad
23.gif
I think the other 3 are clearly best.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
How come I can never watch the videos?

I missed out on the ovals and now this.....

(it tells me couldn''t connect) is there a way to move it to desktop and watch it from there?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 12:21:31 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I just checked the poll and I find the answers rather strange. Everyone here has said #1,4, and 5 are best. Yet there are 5 votes for #3 on the poll???? That makes no sense to me unless someone is wanting the good stones and trying to get you to get one of the bad
23.gif
I think the other 3 are clearly best.
"best" really is a personal opinion.... here are my thoughts on this after watching it again.... #1 and #4 have *very* similar cut patterns although one is square and one is long.... #1 (followed by 4) has the most pinfire.... #3 has the most big broad chunks of fire (which some of us find VERY attractive) and #5 has the most medium sized fire and quite a bit of it. #5 wins IMO on light return but I really am not attracted to that quad faceting. There's no having your eye drawn in the way the omc style do like an asscher. For all of it's irregularity, #3 actually did *that* the best. #2 just fell flat in every direction. Maybe it was at a disadvantage because it was tilted, but even still... #1 had a wonderful mix of pin and med fire but didn't have a ton of big broad fire.... #3 had several big broad facets but it lacked variety.... #5 could have used more pinfire, but reminded me of the light return on a round in the size/intensity dept. #2 looked like it might have had 8 prong with long lgf tpe faciting... but it just didn't work on that stone. I'd lke to see the facet plots on these. I would probably pick #5 based on these videos but I would always think it was just "best" rather than having that inner beauty that to me, the old cuts have. I heart culets!

ETA: Actually after seeing it again* it's #3 and #4 that have the most similarities here... they're both cut more old fashionedly I think. I could be wrong but I'm excited to learn more and see!!

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
I watched the video before I read anyone else''s replies, and I have to say that I agree with the consensus so far. I liked 1, 4, and 5. Personally I liked 4 the best because I like the more square look. I would say it is a tie between 1 and 5 for me. They both had different, yet beautiful fire. Let us know which you choose, and thanks for sharing the video!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
how fun! i didn''t look at any of the other posts, and i''m no diamond expert, so this is strictly initial uninformed reaction to how they looked.
first of all, i''d take any of them. they''re all beautiful. that said, i liked 1, 3, and 4 the best.
1 -- was my fave, but it had more of that crushed ice look that you said you didn''t want. or maybe it was just really sparkly, i dunno.
2 -- the flat part on the top/face (pavillion???) anyways, the part that gets smudged...looked sort of big and too square
3 -- very pretty, and i think the one you should pick if you''re looking for the longer ratio.
4 -- this one really looked great to me and i liked it alot for a square-shaped cushion. if i was choosing for myself (i wish!) i would probably pick this one, but i''d want to see it next to 1 first.
5 -- also square shaped, and looked a little tiny bit bigger than 4, but wasn''t as sparkly. also, the same problem as w/ 3 -- the smudge part looked square. maybe this is desireable, but if so, seems like you would just go w/ a radiant. then again, no idea what i''m talking about and not even totally sure what a radiant is LOL.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker2006, Kaleigh, Jayrenay9, Cehrabehra, ltl, Eva17, Lehcarm & Nejarb – thank you all for viewing the video and your helpful comments.

When I first watched the video, I didn’t like the low crown/large table on #2. And I also didn’t like the “bow tie” look of #2 and #3 – so I think I have ruled those out.

#4 and #5 looked very similar for white light and #1 took on a look all it’s own. I still don’t know anything else about the diamonds or which one is the strong blue – I’ll call Jonathan shortly.

As far as the setting, I’m doing the cushion in the center flanked by half moons and then pave on the top of the shank only – I’m still kicking around the shank detail. Do I taper in the shank near the half moons or taper out from the half moons? I’ll need to discuss that part with Leon. If you look at Leon’s website, I fell in love with the 5-stone ring #513 and have taken off the last stones and changed to the top-sided pave shank.

Forgive me if I don’t respond immediately for the next few days as I am out of town and free wireless internet connection is difficult to come by.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Rock Candy, I stopped in at GOG today. Jon, knowing I am a PS''er asked me if I was able to get the video. (I posted I was unable to watch) So, he had time to give me the real deal.

I saw your stones today. Four and five were MAGNIFICENT!

Between the two, there could be no bad choice. It is really a matter of preference, square vs. rectang. And price.

I see references to you wanting a rectang. in previous posts. If that is the case, then 5 screams take me home.

You will be in Love!
30.gif

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I voted for #1, which I thought had the best overall shape and consistency throughout, in addition to beautiful fire and scintillation. It also seemed to have the smallest/least noticable bowtie.

I also liked #s 4 and 5 but thought that 4 looked somehow cockeyed or crooked from the bottom left corner to the top right, like a trapezoid instead of a rectangle.

Good times!
9.gif

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Eva17, I’m THRILLED with your post!!! Music to my ears!!! Thank you soooo much for viewing them!!! Actually I have eliminated #1 and am down to #4 and #5.

IlikeBond, thank you for your comments and vote.

At this point, I’m in love with #4 and am trying to determine if I should change the setting since the shape is squarer.

For all of you who asked, it was #4 that has the strong blue fluorescence.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I <3 #4, too!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like stone 1, but I agree w/diamondseeker2006 in regards to depending on the setting. Wow, those are some rocks!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
JulieN and Skippy123, thank you for your input.

Any suggestions for a setting with diamond #4?

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 11:05:37 PM
Author: Rock Candy

Can the setting you designed be modified to fit the square cushion? What made you rule out #1?

Here is a pic of one of my favorite Leon rings
30.gif

leoncushion.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 11:05:37 PM
Author: Rock Candy
JulieN and Skippy123, thank you for your input.

Oh, Rock Candy...do I ever!!! I''m just going to post pics until I get tired, can''t sleep. I hope some of these give you some inspiration, they are all from my favorites folder. Hope you don''t mind lots and lots of ideas LOL!!!

cushion_1adfg.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a little partial to split shanks, so I will post a few of those.

split_shank_1.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another split shank

split_shank_3.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

split_shank-4.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A split shank on a hand.

split_shank_5.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A split shank with an open profile.

split_shank_7.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A mark morrel split shank, a little more modern if you like that type of look.

split_shank_6.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some pave solitaire style rings. This one is teagreen''s old ring before she upgraded.

pave_s_1.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is a loen mege, I just loooove the head detail.

pave_s_2.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This sort of wide bracket prong look is kind of neat on a cushion.

pave_s_3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results