shape
carat
color
clarity

which diamond would you choose (both round brilliant)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiant

Rough_Rock
I have decided I want an ideal round stone. I am trying to decide between two stones. Here are their specs:

first choice:

.664 F VS2 AGS cert.
5.61x5.56x3.46
d: 61.6
t: 56
crown angle: 34.1
crown %: 14.8
pav angle: 41.1
pav %: 43.4
cash price $2307

I think this diamond scored a 2.2 on the cut advosor.

next choice:

.6 G VS1 GIA cert
5.45x5.51x3.35
d: 61.1
t:55
crown angle: 34.3
crown %: 15.2
pav angle: 40.5
pav %: 42.4
cash price: $1835

I think this diamond scored a .4 on the cut advisor.

Which diamond should I choose? I am leaning toward the first diamond because it is slightly bigger and a better color, although it scored lower on the cut advisor. I wanted as close to .75 carats as possible, but $2,300 is out maximum budget. These stones are from an online vendor that posts here. Any advice is appriciated. We want to purchase as soon as possible because we already have our setting!

Thanks..............

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you want the larger diamond, choose the larger diamond, but have you thought about lowering the color and clarity to get yourself a bigger stone?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
The second one. Although, if size matters to you (and it may, given that you've mentioned you are leaning toward one stone because it's bigger), I'd drop that clarity to at least SI1, and get a bigger stone.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If size is important there are several .71ct on pricescope for under 2300 in h si1.

You would need to contact them to get more info on the cut.

another:

There are literly dozens of listings but some are dupicates that multiple vendors are offering.
Get the numbers to run into the cut advisor and verify with the vendor that its eyeclean.
Make sure and mention pricescope so you get the match price.
Make sure you look into the return policy just in case and go for it :}

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay my two absolute most honest cents. Drop that color and clarity and get a bigger stone staying with an excellent cut. Do something like an H SI1 and you have a few more points and it will look bigger. You won't see a difference with the SI1 if its eye clean, so why pay for something you can't see regardless? Color difference from G to H? Nil in my opinion. I just got an H colored stone and it looks super white..I can't see a hint of anything, it sparkles so darn much. My e-ring is a G and it looks white as well.

If that isn't an option and these are your two only choices for whatever reason, I'd go with the smaller one. Why? Well I love bigger stones, but the size difference here is very minimal...and the cut on the 2nd seems like it'd be much better from the numbers. Plus I have a G VS1 and I adore it.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some other options, I just ran a cut quality search. As you can see, GOG has a bunch of brokered H&A stones that will be excellently cut and are within your budget without comprising too much on color and clarity. Ensure they are eye clean and get a great .70c H SI or similar!
1.gif
Size baby!

Good luck!
1.gif

radiantchoices.gif

radiant

Rough_Rock
The setting that we have already purchased has F stones channel set in the band. This is why I was concerned about color. Do you still think that going down to an H in color for the center stone is a good idea?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
How big are the stones in the band?

radiant

Rough_Rock
tiny

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
how tiny?
1.gif

I wouldn't worry about it if they're small. A well cut H will face up very white. I would doubt that you'd notice much difference in colour between the center stone & sidestones, if you notice any at all. A friend of mine has an I colour centre RB (.75)with two G colour RB's on each side (.25 each) and all of the stones appear uniform in colour.
1.gif

radiant

Rough_Rock
Another stone I like:
F
SI1
1.3-EX
ex-ex-ex-ex
34.8°
40.8°
GIA
thn
no
ex
vg
no
$2389*‡

5.82x8.83x3.52

What do you guys think?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the specs, I like the third the best (think you made a typo on the dimensions.) This stone will appear slightly bigger than your first two choices, and if you're worried about the colour of the center stone vs. the colour of the side stones, choosing this stone will negate those concerns.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree..from the #'s, the third one is the one I'd choose. It's more expensive but it gets you the F color you want and the carat weight is more than the others, significantly more than the .60c. Plus the HCA gives it all EX which is great, and the #'s look good as well.

Also wanted to say that if the side stones are tiny, you won't notice color in them --so you'd be safe with an H.
2.gif
But I like this third stone the best so far from your choices.

1.gif
Good luck!

radiant

Rough_Rock
Is there room for price negotiation with an online vendor?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Possibly some room for negotiation, but usually online stones are already priced very low. No harm in asking, but be respectful of their answer if they say no. Good luck!

radiant

Rough_Rock
Your right....the correct measurements for diamond #3 are:
5.82x5.83x3.52

I am seriously leaning towards this stone (.71, F,SI1).....any last input?

All help is appriciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results