shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond should we buy??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

igot2u

Rough_Rock
We have narrowed it down to two stones and would like some imput on which is the better stone and are they priced fair. Thanks!

Both are round GIA certified

1.16 ct
6.79 - 6.85 x 4.12 mm
Depth: 60.4%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Very good
Clarity Grade: SI1
Color: G
Fluorescence: None
Comments: None
$5,850

1.20 ct
6.78 - 6.87 x 4.19 mm
Depth: 61.4%
Table 56%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Color: H
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown.
$5,600

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Igot2u and welcome!!!
Are you able to get the sarin data on thse two stones?? Ont he paper they look both good, but without knowing angles and percentages, it's impossible to tell...

igot2u

Rough_Rock
Thank you Giangi!!

My jeweler had this information but I forgot to write it down. Hopefully, I will have this info by the afternoon.

I have another question regarding the measurements of the stones. One is 6.79 - 6.85 x 4.12 mm (1.16 ct) and the other is 6.78 - 6.87 x 4.19 mm (1.20 ct): Does the 1st # represent how large the diamond will appear? I'm thinking that the smaller stone (1.16 ct) will look slightly larger thank the 1.20 ct??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi

The first two numbers (e.g. 6.79-6.85) mean the top diameter of the stone. The last # is the depth of the stone. So if it was measured say from one edge of the top to another edge, it may be 6.79. But measure it to another edge of the stone, and it may be 6.83 or 6.85. You want a smaller range as that means the stone is closer to being a perfect round. A really large range (e.g. 6.79-6.99) may mean the stone has a look that is not perfectly round to the naked eye, or has poor symmetry (or both).

Definitely get the #'s from the Sarin and give them to us for both stones. Then people will be able to comment with a little bit more information.

Have you seen the stones in person? Which one appeals to you more? The prices seem very reasonable..and either G or H will face up white. Make sure the SI1 clarity means 100% EYE CLEAN..confirm this with the vendor and if you see the stones in person, confirm it yourself by using a loupe or magnification to view the stone. Ask the vendor to point out the inclusions to you. See if you can see them with your naked eye once you have found them. If not, or if they are extremely faint, no one will know where to look and you should be fine!
1.gif

igot2u

Rough_Rock
I've added the crown and pavillion %'s to both stones below...

Which would you choose and why? Both look equally brilliant and firey to me. the G looks slightly whiter but only when face down next to the H. Will the 1.20 look any bigger than the 1.16? To me they look the same side by side.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

1.16 ct
6.79 - 6.85 x 4.12 mm
Depth: 60.4%
Table: 57%
Crown: 14%
Pavillion depth: 43%
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Very good
Color: G
Comments: None
$5,850

1.20 ct
6.78 - 6.87 x 4.19 mm
Depth: 61.4%
Table 56%
Crown: 15.3%
Pavillion: 42.4%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None - .6%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Color: H
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown.
$5,600

igot2u

Rough_Rock
Mara...thanks for your reply and info on the measurements.

I think that both stones look eye clean and i actully had a hard time finding the inclusions with the loupe.

I've added the crown and Pavillion #'s above. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

actually angles are more accurate, but it looks like the first isn't ideal... The crown angle on it should be about 33'... I like the second one better... It looks very, very nice
lickout.gif
!!! It's also cheaper, and this doesn't hurt either!!!!!
2.gif
1.gif
1.gif

So are both of them eye-clean?

igot2u

Rough_Rock
Thanks Giangi. I put both on the HCA and the 1.20 ct came up as 0.5 excellent and the 1.16 came up as 0.8 excellent. Although i don't really know what that means, I assume the lower the # the better.

This will be going into a Leon Mege setting with close to a carat of small diamonds on three sides of the band. I think we'll go with the ideal cut 1.20 ct.

thanks!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
A Leon Mege setting?????!!!!!!!!!1
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
Do you want your girlfriend to faint when she sees the ring??
2.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ran the #'s on the HCA as well and got .8 for both stones..EX EX EX VG. The first stone (G SI) IMO does look better, partially because of the diameter vs the second one. I think you should be fine with either stone but the G color will be whiter face up, the symmetry and polish are both VG, and the HCA score doesn't hurt either! Congrats and post pictures when you have them!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and Leon Mege settings are amazing. Nice choice! Check out our ring picture thread in the Show me the Ring forum...I posted some pix of my ring there...mine has .03c stones all the way around the band (.72tcw) but only on the top, not on both sides. So its not a 3 sided look, however, you will get an idea of what your size stone will look like in a similar setting from the top down, as my stone is a 1.23 but LOOKS LIKE a 1.35c (due to cut and spread). Yours should look slightly similar! Forgive my bad photography, it looks much more sparkly in person!
1.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/

igot2u

Rough_Rock
Thanks for confirming that both stones are good ones...sometimes it's so hard to tell as the lighting conditions seem perfect and and everything looks quite sparkly in the store! I think we'll go with the H 1.20 as it is an ideal stone. It's going to be a few months before can have it mounted but I'll be sure to post pictures we do!

Mara - Your ring is beautiful - is it custom made as well? Our ring will have the same overall look as yours.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I thought it would look similar to what you were describing (3 sided diamonds, like the Michael B 3 sided pave ring too?) . Yes its custom...our jewelers wife has the same ring in gold with a smaller center stone (1c) and .04c stones around the band instead of our .03c. So in a way we had no idea what our setting would look like because its in plat, with the larger center, etc. In the end we were amazed, and very pleased!! It looks very similar to a Michael B one-sided pave setting we were considering for $800 MORE and with less ctw side stones! So we are very happy with the custom job; the piece is very high quality, we saved $$ by not buying a branded setting, plus it's almost like no one else has MY exact ring..
1.gif
On the down side we had to wait 5 weeks for the ring to be completed, always pins and needles time!! Good luck
1.gif

seedworker

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara,
I'm looking for a 3 sided "michael b" style eternity band. Would you have any info on this.
Thanks,
Jim

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Leon Mege! What were they like to work with? Are their prices as high as they look or are they actually reasonable? Inquiring minds...!

Burma

Rough_Rock
Mara,

I am looking for a setting exactly like the one you have for your ring. Amazing, everytime I look thru online or even jewerly show..I am looking for my ring what I have in mind..end up to be exactly like the one you have..

Good Taste!
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sundew..thanks...it's very pretty. i highly recommend custom work if that is what you have in mind, it was amazingly easy to do and the cost was not prohibitive, esp compared with some of the designer prices out there.

seed...3 sided michael b type ring? hmm tacori may have something similar, but i dont think i have really seen anything similar to the 3 sided michael b ring..you may want to create something custom if you don't want to pay the exhorbitant michael b pricing (i think it's something like $4-5k for the 3 sided pave e-ring setting ...without the center stone!!). you could probably get it replicated or something similar for less!

good luck!

Burma

Rough_Rock
Mara,

Thank you for information and advice. I don't really want to pay $4k-5K for just setting. Maybe in future but not now. I found something similar but not exactly the same for a lot less. I am thinking of custom made or ask the same jewel dealer to make it but I am still looking for the centre stone. Still looking....to get the best out of what we can afford.
lickout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results