shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond should I choose?

smoothsailing

Rough_Rock
I'm picking out a loose diamond with my boyfriend as the center stone for a solitaire engagement ring. Which diamond is better? They are both round diamonds.

Diamond #1:

Carat: 1.50
Cut: Very Good
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 64.5%
Table: 55.0%
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Symmetry: EX
Polish: EX
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Measurements: 7.17x7.19x4.63mm

Diamond #2:

Carat: 1.21
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 57.0%
Girdle: Medium to Medium
Symmetry: EX
Polish: EX
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 6.83x6.86x4.22mm

Or I can also pick Diamond #2 with a thin to medium girdle. Also, diamond #1 is cheaper than diamond #2 by about $500. This surprises me. I'm guessing because it is because of the fluorescence and maybe on a bigger stone it will look more milky in the light?

I'm leaning towards the larger carat because I never expected to have a stone that large and it looked amazing just on size alone, but I also want lots of sparkle (which I guess means a better cut).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Hi! This post should probably be in Rocky Talky. I can message to have it moved for you.

Do you have more information (crown and pavilion angles, or the GIA report number?) Also, who is calling the diamond 'signature ideal'?

Based on the information we have I would pick the 2nd one...the first one is too deep.

smoothsailing

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I didn't realize that I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Sure, you can have it moved. Thank you.

Diamond #1 has a crown angle of 37.5 and a pavilion angle of 40.6. GIA report number: 2135776551.

Diamond #2 has a crown angle of 34.5 and a pavilion angle of 40.8. GIA report number: 1126821201. Also has a GCAL report (which I've never heard of).

Also, I can get almost the same diamond as #2 with a few things slightly different (if it is better). Girdle is thin to medium instead of medium, depth is 61.1%, table is 57%, crown angle is 35.0 and pavilion angle is 40.8. GIA report number: 2135020213.

All diamonds were found on Blue Nile and Diamond #2 and the alternate for #2 are the Blue Nile
Signature Ideal cut.

Thanks for any help you can give me! I feel so clueless.

smoothsailing

Rough_Rock
Also, is a signature ideal cut worth it? Or should I just stick with a different diamond that is ideal cut?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
smoothsailing|1315139273|3009519 said:
Also, is a signature ideal cut worth it? Or should I just stick with a different diamond that is ideal cut?

Blue Nile signature ideal cuts have an upgrade policy (I think you would have to upgrade within the year though...) so if that is something you are interested in then it might be worth it. The 'signature ideal' is a label applied by Blue Nile. I think you are fine with a different ideal cut...you can use the tools on PS (pricescope.com/tools/hca and pricescope.com/tools/AGA_NAJA_Cut_Class_Grader)

If you post your budget and preferred specs we can help you find some good choices at BN or other online vendors. Also, what sort of setting do you want?

smoothsailing

Rough_Rock
Budget is around $14k-$16k. Must have specs: color D or E, clarity VS1 or better, carat: 1.20 or higher but may be flexible on going a little smaller. Preferred cut was originally very good or better, but now I think I want ideal or better for that extra sparkle. I've just been looking on Blue Nile because the other major stores I've seen would be way above my budget for what I want.

Setting will be a solitaire platinum band, possibly a 1.85mm band because I like the look of a thinner band.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
are you open to VS2 or F color? F color will still be very white and VS2 should have no visible inclusions in a RB of that carat weight...there is nothing wrong with wanting D/E VS1+ but you may want to go look at diamonds in person and see if you can notice a difference between D and F and if that difference is important to you.

also I would definitely not compromise on cut as that will determine how much the diamond sparkles

Here are some other options...

1.34 F VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049676015

1.22 E VS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8514/

1.2 E VS2
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2684397.htm

1.2 F VS1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2638940.htm

If you want a thin platinum band I would recommend 2 mm at the thinnest since thinner can have durability issues.

ETA a nice option is to get a band that tapers towards the top like this one...it has more metal on the sides as it tapers so it should be structurally sound http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5540

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
smoothsailing|1315161421|3009667 said:
Budget is around $14k-$16k. Must have specs: color D or E, clarity VS1 or better, carat: 1.20 or higher but may be flexible on going a little smaller. Preferred cut was originally very good or better, but now I think I want ideal or better for that extra sparkle. I've just been looking on Blue Nile because the other major stores I've seen would be way above my budget for what I want.

Setting will be a solitaire platinum band, possibly a 1.85mm band because I like the look of a thinner band.

When I put in those criteria into the Diamond Search tool, B2C Jewels seems to have potential options for you inthe 14K-15K. Unfortunately, their website must be down because I can't get the link to work.

I entered 1.14 carat minimum, E-color, VS1 maximum, Ideal to Excellent symmetry, Ideal to Very good polish, Faint to n/a flouresence, GIA or AGS only.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results