shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond looks best

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock

Please look at these marquise and tell me which one looks the best......... I1 almost eye clean....

Report GIA
Report No. Sample Report
Shape Marquise
Carat Weight 1.14
Measurements
Length-to-Width 12.23 x 5.83 x 2.77
Proportions
Depth 47.5
Table 59
Girdle THN TO T
Culet NON
Finish
Polish VG
Symmetry G
Clarity Grade VS2
Color Grade H
Fluorescence NON

Report No. JNY50237
Shape Marquise
Carat Weight 1.50
Measurements
Length-to-Width 12.41 x 6.28 x 2.92
Proportions
Depth 46.5
Table 55
Girdle
Culet NON
Finish
Polish G
Symmetry G
Clarity Grade SI2
Color Grade H
Fluorescence NON
Polish VG
Symmetry G
Clarity Grade VS2
Color Grade H

# 3
Report GIA
Report No. 104368
Shape Marquise
Carat Weight 1.14
Measurements
Length-to-Width 12.53 x 4.90 x 3.05
Proportions
Depth 62.2
Table 61
Girdle TN-TK F
Culet NON
Finish
Polish G
Symmetry G
Clarity Grade I1
Color Grade E
Fluorescence NON

#4 Report GIA
Report No. 104370
Shape Marquise
Carat Weight 1.34
Measurements
Length-to-Width 11.95 x 5.65 x 3.31
Proportions
Depth 58.6
Table 58
Girdle TN-TK F
Culet NON
Finish
Polish VG
Symmetry VG
Clarity Grade I1
Color Grade D
Fluorescence NON

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I would say either #1 or #2! #2 would be my first choice though, because it is a little more proportionate L to W, which means it won''t be as long and skinny as #3, for example. Stay away from #3 and #4. An I1 clarity is not good, and you will definitely be able to see inclusions with your naked eye. Marquise can look very different from one another. Do you like wider M''s or long and skinny M''s? Here are the numbers I came up with when dividing the width by the length:

#1: .477

#2: .506

#3: .391

#4: .473

As you can see, #3 will be much thinner than the other three, but it doesn''t really matter b/c I would not buy 3 or 4 anyways (due to their clarity).

What I would do (if you are planning to buy a diamond online) is go to a local jeweler and look a marquise that you like (Length/Width ratio, color, clarity, etc.) and then look at diamonds online that are similar to the specs of that diamond. Good luck in your search! Have fun with it
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
WAIT WOO! Do you have some project you are keeping from us?
6.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2006 2:33:42 PM
Author: singer
An I1 clarity is not good, and you will definitely be able to see inclusions with your naked eye.
Sorry to disagree, it isn't the case that all I1 diamonds are not good - there are those out there that are eyeclean as I and some PSers own some. An I1 clarity can be a great deal if the inclusions aren't very visible, can be covered by a prong or don't pose any durability issues to the diamond. You can't always " definitely" see inclusions with the naked eye, some are indeed lucky I1's and are eyeclean, they just take some looking for. Good luck Woo with your project and take a look at the I1's they might be great!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I think #1 and #2 are way too shallow IMO. They could be beautiful diamonds but if you're not seeing them in person (and I don't know if you are) I would rule them out because there is a better chance that they will be not as attractive as a deeper diamond. #3 is quite skinny, not my favorite, but what shape marquise do YOU like? I like the table and depth numbers best for 3 and 4 but the crown height would be nice to have. As always, any of these may have a bow tie and may be beautiful in spite of (or because of) the numbers. Please show pics and view yourself to determine the best. Marquise are tricky!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, I agree that some I1''s can be okay (if you get lucky). I guess I was just assuming that woobug02 was not going to be seeing the diamonds in person. In this case, I think it would be risky to go with an I1. It''s okay to disagree on things, we''re human
emwink.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Woo,
If you can look at the stones in person, you will probably be able to make an easier decision. If you can find an I1 with an inclusion(s) only on the edge (which can easily be covered by a prong), you could save lots of money and maybe get an even bigger stone
emsmilep.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for an I1 virtually if I could see pictures up the ying yang and could really get a good sense for the inclusions and if I trusted the vendor I was working with (aka return time period etc)...so it''s not totally out of the question, a few people here have gotten some amazing I1''s from PS vendors and other reputable online vendors and had GREAT success. Oh and I would only go I1 on the highly faceted stones where the sparkle and the facets can hide the inclusion, not with an emerald or anything like that IMO.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I agree, an I1 would not be a wise choise for an emerald (or asscher, etc). The brilliance of an RB, cushion, etc. will help hide I1 inclusions
1.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wooo, I am working on a right hand ring :) I like the longer marquise but not to skinny. I have my er marquise that is a perfect 12X6 but has visable inclusions in one end. The wierd thing about marquises is depending on the light the ends can hide the inclusions some. I am looking at these stones through diamond.com and have seen the reports but have not seen them in person. According to the report the 1st stone is almost flawless.... But I was sure about the depth. The 2nd stone had no eye visable inclusions but is 2200.00 more than the 1st. The 3rd and 4th I1 stones show very few inclusions both are off to the side. How would I findout about the bowtie???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also wouldn't shop with diamond.com unless they could get you images of the stone and idealscopes and all that, because shopping for a fancy, especially something like a marquis I would not do virtually unless I had TONS more information than what you have there as well as images etc etc. Chances are you cannot use JUST the numbers to find a beautiful stone for a fancy like this...my two cents. You need an expert as well as more reports and images.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 2:49:36 AM
Author: Mara
I also wouldn''t shop with diamond.com unless they could get you images of the stone and idealscopes and all that, because shopping for a fancy, especially something like a marquis I would not do virtually unless I had TONS more information than what you have there as well as images etc etc. Chances are you cannot use JUST the numbers to find a beautiful stone for a fancy like this...my two cents. You need an expert as well as more reports and images.
I agree. Can you narrow down your choices and then view 2 or so with an appraiser? As far as the bow tie, pictures may help but I would still want to see it in person so you could move the diamond around under different lighting and see if there is any bow tie. Also, if the vender had the stone in front of him/her, you could ask for their opinion. That is of course if you trust it. If they have a good return policy there is little reason for them to lie to you.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
just a thought. right now marquise and pears are a dime a dozen since they are out of style. have you considered pawn shops/used jewelery? (you will know it when you see it)

pop the stone out and put it in a fresh setting.

use your eyes to judge. learn to look through dirt and crud. i purchased a used -- spready slightly shallow pear shape 1.25 carat for $2000. G vs1. lenght to width ratio 1.5:1. blue fluorescence.no bowtie.

it stops traffic.

edited to add information.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wow, I never thought of shopping for a used on :) That is an idea worth exploring. Your diamond sounds FAB. I know the pear and marquise aren''t the most popular right now but they can make a beautiful ring...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I am a schoolteacher so i can''t afford the expensive blingies that the others can. Read up on diamond cut and quality so you know what you are looking at.

go to pawn/used/junk shops in rich neighborhoods. 70s and 80s style were real big on marquises and pears so look for those. look past the ugly settings and the dirt and look at the stone. most pawn shop owners dicker for 1/2 of what is on the price tag. be super nice to them. You will know the stone when you see it and you won''t hesitate. frequently you have to ask to see the nicer stones becuase they are locked up in the back.

i also own a 1/2 carat round G vs1, purchased from a junk store for $200 US in canterbury england. because of the clarity the man thought it might be a CZ so we guessed at what I should pay. It is now set in a three sided pave two toned setting from jared''s $500 for a total of about $900 including VAT and texas tax. i mention this because i am appalled at how much people are paying for their rings in the various threads.

generally, 1/4 carat stones will be $100, 1/2 carat stones $500, 1 carat $ 2000-2500. Look for CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT.

Right now I have my eye on a 5 stone pronged band 5 - 40 pointers on a heavy platinum band. $1000 on the price tag. It is still there as of last weekend. obviously a divorce ring - which doesn''t bother me.

I also have my eye on a old european cut 1/2 carat marked at $700. I wait patiently.

Have fun! be adventurous. this is great fun when you get into it.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is such great info!!! I am really excited you posted. I will be on it...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
""""bump"""""

any progress?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
a week later, i just noticed a typo of my own making -- my used pear is SI2, not vs1.

sheepish kemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results