shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond band would you choose? Single vs Full cut / Eternity vs Half

If you had to choose between the two, which would you purchase for a RHR diamond band?

• Full eternity, single cuts, vintage

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Half eternity, MRB cuts, new

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

peas-and-carats

Rough_Rock
I'm on the hunt for a 2mm diamond band RHR, and I have narrowed my sights to two bands:
1) Vintage platinum full eternity with single cuts, OR
2) Modern platinum half eternity with MRBs

Sometimes I may wear it alone, but I'll probably usually stack it with either a 4mm YG etoile band (which is set with MRBs), a 3mm hammered platinum band, or maybe some other little 2mm stackers. I like vintage. I like modern. I'm conflicted!

Assuming they were same price, same dimensions, same diamond quality, same pave setting, which would you choose and why? Would love to hear all opinions and reasoning.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've had a half eternity but now wear a full eternity. The half eternity would shift during the day , diamonds rotating to the side, and I was forever readjusting it. I prefer the full eternity!

I'm also a vintage fan, so that would be an easy choice for me .

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A vote here for a full eternity. The halfs aways seem to shift to plain side up and it’s kind of annoying. I have a couple of halfs that I love but they stay in the jewelry box for that reason.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the full eternity single cut band. I have a half eternity double pave band and the spinning drives me crazy. I'm sick and tired of trying plastic sizers, beads, etc, to minimize spinning, so I'm saving up for a nice full eternity. My knuckles are larger than the base of my fingers, so I have to size up to get past them. I have no idea if people who have no differential between knuckle and base of finger have spinning problems, though.

I also like the big flashes that single cuts give, so that's a plus as well. I'm a big fan of jewelry field trips. Find a nice store that might have similar styles and try a few on. I've gotten a lot of clarification when I've done that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this were for me I would choose full eternity single cuts. Because I love old cuts best and full eternity because I hate when it spins and you see metal. I want diamonds all diamonds all the time.

An MRB eternity will be more blingy and bright but a single cut eternity will be more subtle with beautiful big flashes. More of a slow burn if you will.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with a full eternity band. I hate when my 1/2 or 3/4 one spins.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Full eternity, I hate seeing metal if not full! And I love vintage inspired rings.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
depends if you think your finger size will increase?
A full eternity always has diamonds “face up” but can’t be resized larger (smaller you could use a ring insert).
A half eternity “rolls” so needs readjustment when the diamonds roll to underneath but sizing up or down a size or two is no issue.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't find that my half eternity spins all that much (and I don't mine realigning it during the day if it does), plus, it's sizable in case my finger changes.

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
Full eternity/single cut, hands down.

Several others have raised the issue of half-eternity bands spinning or shifting. And as an old cut lover, I love single-cuts. The diamonds in my wedding-band are single cuts and I really enjoy the way they sparkle differently.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for full eternity!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full eternity. I had a 1/2 eternity for my first wedding band, and the diamonds were always turned around. It drove me crazy. I love a full eternity.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve got more eternity bands than any reasonable person should & I enjoy them all ...... but, if I HAD to choose I’d definitely chose my full eternities.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am biased as I like vintage and full eternities. I prefer older cuts to modern...So you can guess where my vote goes.

however, there are a few issues of both rings that ppl have already identified and I will echo all of them.

1/2 MRB eternity:
1) yes it will spin and it depends on how much the diffenrce of seeinf all the diamonds v seeing some diamonds and some metals v no diamond/ all metal band. Then it is a matter of playing with the rings to adjust it.
2) MRB- it will be bright and blingy. It could compliment or out bling your Etoile.
3) weight fluctuations mean sizing is relatively easy to do.

full single cut eternity, vintage
1) vintage- care with the band. But we have lots of vendors that will help with repairs / replacements of the stones
2) have to be careful with what you do with hands when wearing rings. If you do lots of manual labour- lifting with rings on- the full eternity means that the under surface diamonds will be “damaged” more often.
3) weight fluctuations- esp increase in weight will have re-sizing issues- bigger costs: sourcing new diamonds to fit/ having a small space between diamonds/ new setting.
4) the bling is diffenrt to the MRB stones in the etoile. It could compliment or compete for blingy- ness.

5) sizing down is easier- I have a dislocated finger so my knuckle is bigger. I have these sizing beads added and it’s made a huge difference to spinning. See pic at end of comments.

you can stack with diffenrt metals and also different stones... in fact you can do anything, as long as you are confident with the look - you can carry it off.

Is there a return period for these bands?
Is there an option of getting both bands and get a feel for them for you to really assess what it’s like with your sets of rings? Of course you have to take a ton of pics for us to see and comment and drool/ guide you in your purchase??!!! Lolol.
image.jpg

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
It's really a personal preference for vintage vs. MRB. The diamonds are likely small enough that it won't make a huge visual difference. I prefer MRB half-eternities because I like having the option to resize, why pay for diamonds you can't see, and diamonds on the palm side are more prone to scratching, chips, etc.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the full eternity is big enough to allow for stacking with your others comfortably, I think the different cuts would look great together. Far more interesting than just MRBs. I buy all my eternities a full size bigger than needed though, so I can stack without cutting off circulation. I just put a thin spacer in the right size on top to keep it from falling off if I wear any of them solo. Can we see the rings in question?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another who has never had an issue with half eternities spinning. I just don’t like the feel of a full eternity and the fact they can’t usually be resized.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am biased as I like vintage and full eternities. I prefer older cuts to modern...So you can guess where my vote goes.

however, there are a few issues of both rings that ppl have already identified and I will echo all of them.

1/2 MRB eternity:
1) yes it will spin and it depends on how much the diffenrce of seeinf all the diamonds v seeing some diamonds and some metals v no diamond/ all metal band. Then it is a matter of playing with the rings to adjust it.
2) MRB- it will be bright and blingy. It could compliment or out bling your Etoile.
3) weight fluctuations mean sizing is relatively easy to do.

full single cut eternity, vintage
1) vintage- care with the band. But we have lots of vendors that will help with repairs / replacements of the stones
2) have to be careful with what you do with hands when wearing rings. If you do lots of manual labour- lifting with rings on- the full eternity means that the under surface diamonds will be “damaged” more often.
3) weight fluctuations- esp increase in weight will have re-sizing issues- bigger costs: sourcing new diamonds to fit/ having a small space between diamonds/ new setting.
4) the bling is diffenrt to the MRB stones in the etoile. It could compliment or compete for blingy- ness.

5) sizing down is easier- I have a dislocated finger so my knuckle is bigger. I have these sizing beads added and it’s made a huge difference to spinning. See pic at end of comments.

you can stack with diffenrt metals and also different stones... in fact you can do anything, as long as you are confident with the look - you can carry it off.

Is there a return period for these bands?
Is there an option of getting both bands and get a feel for them for you to really assess what it’s like with your sets of rings? Of course you have to take a ton of pics for us to see and comment and drool/ guide you in your purchase??!!! Lolol.
image.jpg

I second all of this and will agree that sizing beads are a great way to go for many of us. They are (for many of us) comfortable and I forget I have sizing beads in my ring. I too have larger knuckles than fingers so need to size up and add sizing beads and so far it works beautifully. It is a good option. And they come in all different sizes so you can get smaller beads or larger ones depending on what you need.

sizingbeadsoecclusterandfrancesca.JPG

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full eternity is all I will wear now. Like PPs I hate the spinning and due to my finger shape it happens all day long. I figure if I outgrow the eternities, I will just sell and replace. Or reset my frenchies perhaps. I also love antique cuts. Good luck!

ETA sizing beads are a good choice too. I do find that they make my rings harder to get over the knuckles though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results