color
clarity

Which cut is sufficient?

a03b

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have been researching on the site for some time now. My takeaways:
* Don't go lower than H in color
* Don't go lower than SI2 in clarity

But I really haven't got the cut part. Obviously, GIA Excellent is lovely. What about very good? And to summarize my situation. The stone I am currently considering:

1.00 ct - G color - VS2 - Very Good cut - $5,400

I have no idea what my gf prefers, so I want to be on the safe side. Do you think this stone is any good? Would you go smaller and get a better cut? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a03b|1460193456|4017197 said:

But I really haven't got the cut part. Obviously, GIA Excellent is lovely. What about very good? And to summarize my situation. The stone I am currently considering:

I have no idea what my gf prefers, so I want to be on the safe side. Do you think this stone is any good? Would you go smaller and get a better cut? Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Not good enough for PSers... ;))

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Cut above all else. A great cut makes a smaller stone shinier, and look bigger than a larger less well cut stone. If you are buying a diamond for an e ring without a lot of experience, I would go back for an AGS ideal, it's easier than sifting through GIA excellent cuts, which most are great as well. There are preferences on clarity color and size but honestly they are more personal and can be played with to get a good balance, but start with cut then your other parameters.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For CUT...here is a quick and dirty cheat sheet...(there are nice stones that fall outside of these parameters but they take idealscope
images to evaluated...Idealscope images are sometimes difficult to get).

You need to look at Excellent/Ideal cuts only.

Table 54-58
depth 60-62.3
crown 34-35 degrees
pavilion 40.6 - 41

Use the HCA tool as an elimination tool. Look for good stones t score 2 or under. After that, if you can get an idealscope on the
stone and post it that would be even better.
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

In your budget ($5400 range)...here is what I could find....Looks like you have to drop down to "I" color to get to 1 carat or up the
budget. :((
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-867720

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is important to have a consersation with your gf regarding 4Cs. If she happens to not mind I color, and you go with G or H without having conservation, you compromise hughly in carat weight and unnecesarily spend extra 1 or 2k.

If you dont want a direct conversation, take her to de beer, tiffany or cartier, and ask for I and H color stones (does not have to be a ring. Can be pendant or stud) and see how she likes it. Try different watches. (Tank at cartier). Fun date.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results