shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Cushion is Better?

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
These are my final two considerations for a single halo engagement ring. Both of them are considered Cushion Brilliants and both are the same price (right at $14,000). I've been looking at them side by side all day trying to figure out which one I like most. I think I've decided but wanted to see what you guys thought.

I made a video below with a few different lighting setups but honestly both of these stones look way better than I can capture with my camera. I've included the ASETs under each stone. Obviously one of these needs to go back but which one?

Anything stick out between the two? I feel like one of them is way more brilliant and the other has more fire. Also, when viewed 5-10 feet away in natural light, the H actually looks more white than the G which is weird. Obviously this is not the correct orientation for grading color but I thought that was strange (I don't think I can capture the color difference well enough in the video).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! It's really a rare treat to come on a cushion thread and see two fabulous modern cushions! You cannot go wrong with either one. Is the G stone any larger in measurements than the H? If it is, then it has color and size going for it, and I would choose that one. The only reason I might not choose the H&A is because those are very common in round stones, so I kind of like the x-factor cut which was designed for a cushion. H&A has great light return, though! Seriously, they are both great!

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
The G stone is a little larger than the H. I feel like the G has more fire and is a little larger but the H appears whiter (somehow) and looks brighter in all lighting conditions other than a single hard light. When I look at the diamonds outside in direct sunlight, the G wins out but when I look at both stones in overcast light or anytime indoors, the H is clearly the brighter/whiter stone. Also the H is much "chunkier" than the G and that's the reason I wound up going down this brilliant cut rabbit hole.

It's a lot closer than I'd hope for but my hope was someone with a better eye could take something away from the video I posted.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock

I like the H the best.

Did reading that give you comfort/validation or did it make you uneasy and defensive of the G? Heh, worth a try!

Between these two, I'd have a preference for the G, as it has a more subtle design, not as overwhelming (and dark) as the design in the H.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Both beautiful! Is the H "clearer" to you? It looks a bit more transparent in the video, but it could be that the stones have oils on them from being handled. What are the inclusions on each? I think the H looks closer to an ideal round's performance and the G strikes me more as a modern cushion. (like DS mentioned) That said, I'm no expert on cushions, but I don't think you can go wrong here!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think both are lovely. Personally, I prefer the G.

However, I'd go with your gut and consider the lighting that the stone will be in most times too for performance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice video! Both stones are nice. I prefer the H due to the brighter light return. I would have to decide if the added size of the G would win out
over the brightness of the H. Hard choice.

What are you thinking?

Can you give us the dimensions on the stones?

Last edited:

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
Here is a new video that shows the stones better outdoors:

This really is a tough choice. I'm leaning towards the 1.8 G stone but when I feel confident in my choice, the H&A 1.6 H stone grabs my attention again. Going to get some opinions from friends and see what they say esp those who don't know anything about diamonds.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I like the H better, by a lot. The facets are chunkier, and the light return hits you in the face more than then pinpoints I am seeing in the G. It's overall prettier to me, and the facets seem more symmetrical when moved around (it plays on my eyes that way at least).

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
I just had dinner and showed the two diamonds to some friends and the waitress. They all know nothing about diamonds and all 3 picked the G. One said he didn't like the rounded corners of the H and the two girls I think just liked the size of the G more. I plan to ask as many people in person and see what the overall consensus is. I know I'll be happy with either but I did pick out the G from a lineup of 4 Brilliant Cuts so it has a cool personal story where as the H was just bought online.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
In the end, remember that it has to look good to your eyes, and the eyes of your intended. While we all have opinions, it's a little bit of a toss up with fancy shapes. Good luck making your decision!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great videos! Beautiful stones. Not an expert at all but I like the H better because of the lovely shape (more cushion-y than princess-y square) and it kept drawing my eye. Which stone draws your eyes?

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
Great videos! Beautiful stones. Not an expert at all but I like the H better because of the lovely shape (more cushion-y than princess-y square) and it kept drawing my eye. Which stone draws your eyes?

Well, they both catch my eye for different reasons. I'll outline it once below and people can chime in on what they think

1.8 G
Pros: Bigger stone
Slightly Whiter
At times has better Fire in direct sunlight
Looking into the eye, it looks to have the most depth
Has a cooler story as I picked it from 4 ideal cuts in a store in NYC without gf knowing
More people in person have picked it. Shouldn't matter but if everyone picks it then it does catch
the eye (sample size is only 4 people so far)

1.6 H
Pros: I know it's the most "ideal" cut and is a Brian Gavin which holds some esteem
I prefer the hearts and arrow design when I can make it out, mostly it's hidden from a distance
It is significantly brighter in all lighting conditions
Has chunkier flashes of Fire which I like but might have less overall fire
Overall looks more cushiony to me, has a fluffed pillow look instead of a "heli pad"

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much much prefer the H. The h&a pattern is gorgeous, and I think it performs better. But of course that's just my opinion. I am likely biased bc I love round stones and am normally not drawn to cushions, so the fact that the H is cut like an H&a round probably attracts me to it .

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Didn’t watch the full video but my eye was instantly drawn to the H.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results