shape
carat
color
clarity

Which cushion cut diamond should I choose?

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm currently deciding between two cushion cut diamonds I have seen them in person and I'm going back to have a second look this evening. Below are the specifications of the two and both are roughly the same price, I know it's hard to tell without seeing them but from the specification which one do you think I should go for? And do you think I should be concerned with the internal and external graining in the E VVS2?

0.80 E VVS2
5.52x5.23x3.61
Table: 57%
Depth:69%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluoresense: None
Clarity Characteristics: Feather, Pinpoint, Internal Graining, External Graining

0.91 F SI1
5.57x5.38x3.55
Table: 59%
Depth:66%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Fluoresense: None
Clarity Characteristics: Crystal

Thanks
Katy

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, we can tell nothing about fancy cut stones from the numbers. The numbers for both those stones are "in-line"
so we are not able to exclude one either.

Did you look at the stones in different lighting conditions (away from the jewelers lights), outside, by windows, etc? Since you are
able to see both stones, you are really the best one to judge.

A few things to look for...
Look for lots of facets turning on and off like mirrors. Look for a bright stone. Look for sharp, well define facets.

Can you get an aset image of these stones? They will tell how well the stones are returning light. If you can get them, please post.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Numbers do not tell much, if anything at all, about the performance. You have seen the two and compared them with many others. Which do you prefer? Unless you can take good macro pictures, no one here can tell you anything else about the cushion diamonds.

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Thank you tyty333 and Chrono.

When I go back this evening I'm going to look at them in some different lighting conditions. Thank you tyty333 for telling me what to look for I will keep this in mind when I go back this evening. I think yesterday I just got overwhelmed but looking at so many that they all start to look the same, I managed to narrow it down to these two but I think going back tonight with fresh eyes will help. The VVS2 also looks more like a round brilliant whereas the SI1 has a little bit more of a crushed iced effect, both are really pretty though.

The only picture I have is the one below which isn't really enough to go on, the VVS2 is the one to the far right and the SI1 is the one on the far left.

diamonds_4.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you are considering 2 very different flavours of cushions - one has a strong defined pattern and the other is the crushed ice splintery glitter pattern.

1. View them under natural lights (near a window) away from the store lights.
2. View them under office/fluorescent lights. They will be less sparkly but it will also be a fair comparison to home/office life.

Observe the sparkle pattern - even across the stone, edges only, center only? Any dark areas that are concentrated or interspersed?

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Yes they are quite different visually, I don't usually like the crushed ice effect however this one has more of the 'x factor' look rather than being super crushed ice.

I think it will be difficult to view them under lots of different lighting conditions at the jewellers but I should be able to see them in natural light.

What normally causes dark patches? Will all diamonds have some dark areas?

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone!! After an hour looking at both diamonds in great detail and taking lots of pics and videos I decided to go for the 0.80 E VVS2. Here are some additional pictures below.

Thank you for all your help!

diamond_1_15.jpg

diamond_2_1.png

diamond_3_2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results