carat
color
clarity

which ceylon yellow sapphire?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Which would you choose between these two sapphires. They are both a similar weight but which should perform better? They are both from the same place, cut by the same person and color-wise very similar. one of the stones is much deeper than the other and I wonder if that will affect its performance? Or maybe the other is just shallow?

Which would you pick?

Stone 1: 2.09ct, 8.8 x 6.7 x 4.3mm

Stone 2: 1.99ct, 7.4 x 6.1 x 5mm

DSC00017.JPG

yellowons199-2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chel180|1317758739|3033173 said:
Hi,

Which would you choose between these two sapphires. They are both a similar weight but which should perform better? They are both from the same place, cut by the same person and color-wise very similar. one of the stones is much deeper than the other and I wonder if that will affect its performance? Or maybe the other is just shallow?

Which would you pick?

#1) It's very difficult to judge gems from two different vendors photos. They are not taken in the same lighting, nor with the same camera settings.

#2) Do you care about treatment. 99% of yellow sapphire on the market is diffused (a form of dying the stone), so it makes a huge difference in price and value. If they are fairly expensive, they should have a reputable lab report to accompany them.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Do you have hand shots of both stones? I think it is hard to pick because you have a vendor photo that is close up of one and then a further away hand shot. If they were side by side I think that would be better.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
TL|1317759614|3033189 said:
Hi,

Which would you pick?

#1) It's very difficult to judge gems from two different vendors photos. They are not taken in the same lighting, nor with the same camera settings.

#2) Do you care about treatment. 99% of yellow sapphire on the market is diffused (a form of dying the stone), so it makes a huge difference in price and value. If they are fairly expensive, they should have a reputable lab report to accompany them.

Do you have a source for this?

I'd be very suprised. I would say that about 70-80% will have been heat-treated, but I saw a lot of yellow sapphire on offer in Sri Lanka where they don't diffuse stones (it's both illegal and more importantly, the people at all levels in the trade are not at all happy about the damage that has been done to the market by the Thai burners using diffusion).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1317774405|3033416 said:
TL|1317759614|3033189 said:
Hi,

Which would you pick?

Do you have a source for this?

I'd be very suprised. I would say that about 70-80% will have been heat-treated, but I saw a lot of yellow sapphire on offer in Sri Lanka where they don't diffuse stones (it's both illegal and more importantly, the people at all levels in the trade are not at all happy about the damage that has been done to the market by the Thai burners using diffusion).

No, I don't Pandora, it was just a figure of speech. I apologize for the misinformation. Thank you for correcting me. :)) I don't know the exact statistics, only that a great deal of yellow sapphires are diffused.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the second one does have significant depth, I would want to know how much of that depth is in the crown. From the one closeup, it looks like it could have promise as a sparkler, but knowing the crown height would give you/us a clearer idea. Otherwise, imo, you could lose light in the middle of the stone...

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks for the input. Heres a closer one of number1 - don't have any others.

What do you mean crown height? Is a high crown good or bad?

Thanks.

DSC00025.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crown height is both a good and bad thing. It's the height of the stone from the rim (girdle) to the top of the stone (table). I personally love high crowns on gems, because they give added sparkle to the stone. However, the caveat is that you do lose some face up size. I have a 2.8 carat spinel, that has a very high crown, and sparkles like no tomorrow, but it looks smaller than a typical stone of the same size in it's face up. I still wouldn't trade it for the same stone without a high crown, because I think the faceted high crown makes it that much more beautiful.

What I try to avoid, and what I think Minou was warning against is a stone that is too deep, in other words, one in which the bottom of the gem below the rim (pavillion) is heavy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly what I was trying to say =) And btw, if the dimensions of the first one are correct, it would not be considered shallow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results