shape
carat
color
clarity

Which calibrated setting would fit my roval?

sisxixon

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

I recently bought an 8.5x6.9 roval stone and am trying to figure out how to set it. I'd prefer to go the pre-made route to save on cost, and I'm considering a diamondzone 9x7 bezel setting or a vintage setting that currently holds a 8x6 stone. I love the vintage setting slightly more than the diamondzone option -- would I have any chance of being able to fit my stone into the vintage one?

I'm worried about lurkers sniping the setting, so I'll just describe it -- it is a 8x6 basket with prongs surrounded by an irregular halo of diamonds. The stone currently in the setting is sitting above the halo, not flushed, which is why I'm hoping my stone would fit.

Has anyone had an experience squeezing a slightly off calibration stone into a slightly smaller calibrated setting? How much smaller did you go?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It depends on the stone and the setting. Fitting a non-calibrated stone into an already made setting is actually quite difficult. Since you didn't post images of the setting, being that it is .5 and .9 mm larger, I don't think that will likely fit into the setting very easily. While those amounts sound very small, they are actually quite large when you are dealing with small items. Also, the stone's depth or belly may not fit in the setting. You might be able to get it to fit in there, but it will take a lot of labor, probably redoing the prongs and labor is the most expensive part of any jewelry item. Plus it may never look quite right. So it might end up costing more in the long run than having something made to fit (unless, of course it is very inexpensive).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel setting have a very tight limit, so I'm not sure whether it will fit your stone. There might be some wiggle room if it were a prong setting with extra long prongs. The 8 x 6 mm prong setting also seems too small as the width is much too narrow. Without seeing pictures of your stone, it will be difficult to answer your question accurately since the curvature of the "shoulders" or corners matter, but with what little information provided, it seems like neither will fit your stone.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As far as Diamonszone settings they make them themselves, unless it is a real vintage ring, so you don't have to worry about someone snatching it up because they will relist the setting. What I do is I write down the SKU# just in case so if it does get purchased, then all you have to do is send them a message saying you want to but the setting with the SKU#... if you don't want to wait for them to relist it. Mainly all of my ring settings are from them this is how I know. They can do custom to to maybe tweak the setting a little to your stone size. That usually costs the original price of setting plus extra like around 100 bucks but it depends.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to chime in and echo Userangl's info about MDZ. They are super easy to work with and have custom fit multiple settings for me to my specific stones. Essentially I just write them and say "I'm interested in this piece (SKU number), but have a stone this size (xx by yy), what would the cost be to make it fit my stone?" They respond quickly and the extra cost is usually around $100. I've only asked about doing this for 14K gold pieces, so it might cost more in platinum, just FYI. But I'd reach out to them about any setting you are interested in, they are super reasonably priced, nice, and work fairly quickly. I'm happy with all of my pieces from them, and plan to have at least 2 of my loose stones set by them once I make up my mind about design and save up a bit more. :wavey:

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
that is the one i thought u were talking about. if u look at the setting specs its says it can fit a stone as low as 8.2mm for the legth so i think ur stone will fit the setting just fine with the ranges they give. just let them know the size of stone before hand

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results